GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

FRPP 3V Intake

Search this Thread

Old 3/20/10, 12:34 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yur1279
Thats true. I was adding the parts up alone and didn't include the valve covers and was already a few hundred over what they are asking. Plus free shipping is always good.

I do wonder about that throttle body though. Is the price of it worth the difference from just using a gt500 throttle body?

Performance wise, no(FRPP TB picked up only 3-4 HP on a head/cam n/a car), but aesthetically I'd say yes.

Last edited by mustangfan123; 3/20/10 at 12:35 PM.
Old 3/21/10, 07:18 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Originally Posted by EagleStroker
The more mods you have, the less gains you see in a motor application. Let these things run their course, we will see which is the "best" in due time. When I shell out my hard earned dough I want the best I can buy or ill just end up buying it twice
Originally Posted by H8IMPORTS
I will have to disagree. The more you do the more power the C&L Intake will produce. On a Turbo engine the C&L picked up 47 RWHP. On a local car here in Alabama.

I know you are going to buy a JPC. Good luck with the Intake. I will stick with the C&L. From all I have seen the C&L is the best you can buy. I guess we will have to Agree to Disagree.
I really don't let what I want/plan on using affect my opinions on these matters, fact is fact. The more you do the harder it is to see a gain. Sure it will work better with more mods but at a certain point you can't add 5+10 and get 15hp, you hit a brick wall (ask me how I know ).

Originally Posted by mustangfan123
Performance wise, no(FRPP TB picked up only 3-4 HP on a head/cam n/a car), but aesthetically I'd say yes.
I picked up 8 OVER a BBK, for most definitely not worth the cost but **** it looks good!
Old 3/21/10, 07:47 PM
GT Member

The C&L and the JPC may be for two different markets. Of the three users of the JPC intake manifold with their forced induction S197s, that I know and communicate with, two run mid 8s and the third is 9.0 in the 1/4 and seeking low 8s or faster.
Old 3/22/10, 08:56 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote=EagleStroker;5832915]I really don't let what I want/plan on using affect my opinions on these matters, fact is fact. The more you do the harder it is to see a gain. Sure it will work better with more mods but at a certain point you can't add 5+10 and get 15hp, you hit a brick wall (ask me how I know ).

I agree. The point I was trying to make is the more you do the more the Intake will make. The Intake will flow better then the stock one so the more power you get out of your motor the more the Intake is worth.
Old 3/23/10, 07:32 AM

No heat soak

Ford is using the same material as the stock manifold avoiding the heat soak issues with the other aluminum style manifolds. From the page, read here.

Ford Racing Intake Manifold with high flow runners and open plenum design featuring lightweight composite construction (same material as OE intake manifold), 13lb vs. 30 lb aftermarket aluminum intakes (aluminum aftermarket intakes retail for $799 alone -- ouch). Fits under stock hood.
Just some food for thought.......It would be intresting to see a r&d on a cammed engine with lontubes and an aftermarket cold air with this manifold. As for the cost, look at u/d pullies or the electric waterpump and the gains vrs the cost. You could include the headers on this one, ratio of per horsepower/ per dollar spent. Lets not forget when you start approaching or have reached the the v/e of your engine by modding, ie, CAI, headers,exhaust,u/d pullies,cams, adding gears to have a higher v/e at lower engine speeds, thus having more overall power. I am sure I have forgot something here, yes it gets harder to add BIGGER gains vrs a single bolt on for comparitive numbers. This same holds true for fi applications. After spending a boatload of money to get the some what expected numbers, were never happy, want more syndrom. The cost per horsepower goes way up vrs the gains we paid for when we started modding in the first place. When I ever finish school (going back to aka college), and after i find a job again, my plans to remedy the fun factor are currently on hold for now. At least by the time i can buy fun parts again the R&D will have been done. Peace!
Old 3/24/10, 03:18 PM

I've got a built 284 running ported heads, Comp 127300 cams and with the new pulley about 15psi of boost. I'd be very interested in a manifold like this, but with the current release date being pushed back to May 15th, I'd be more inclined to go with the C&L.
Old 3/24/10, 07:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rasmus
I've got a built 284 running ported heads, Comp 127300 cams and with the new pulley about 15psi of boost. I'd be very interested in a manifold like this, but with the current release date being pushed back to May 15th, I'd be more inclined to go with the C&L.

You may want to reconsider that decision.........But it's your money.
Old 3/24/10, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
A reliable source has informed me that in an independent, back-to-back dyno session on a build much similar to mine the difference between the FRPP and the C&L was 3-4 rwhp averaged. Both showed good gains. Cost on the two will be the same but I simply prefer the look and weight of the FRPP.

Of course, I could just be blowing smoke up your **** so take it for what it's worse, and, granted, it was supposed to have been a production FRPP manifold which might have changed now with the release date being pushed back -- again -- but that is my reasoning.
Old 3/24/10, 08:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Talking

Originally Posted by obofglob
Looks like it's official.

4.6L 3-VALVE PERFORMANCE INTAKE MANIFOLD

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=11478

Here is a little more info and a photo that was posted on IMBOC.

http://blogs.musclemustangfastfords....ake/index.html
I have got to get me one of those ,I have a place for it, FRPP 3V Intake-502744-r1-10-9a.jpg
Old 3/25/10, 03:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

The all knowing manifold expert has spoken. Silence peons.
Old 3/25/10, 04:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bullitt995
The all knowing manifold expert has spoken. Silence peons.
Ahh yes...the f'n idot of the board has appeared again with his words of wisdom. It is interesting to me that in the collective of your almost 850 posts on this site you have never once given words of encouragment to anyone, posted a video to help someone or a "how to install" a component that would have assisted someone. Nothing spews from you but jabs, and one liners. Not one piece of useful information to anyone on this board for the entire time you have been here.

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 3/25/10 at 05:24 PM.
Old 3/25/10, 05:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ahh yes...the f'n idot of the board has appeared again with his words of wisdom. It is interesting to me that in the collective of your almost 850 posts on this site you have never once given words of encouragment to anyone, posted a video to help someone or a "how to install" a component that would have assisted someone. Nothing spews from you but jabs, and one liners. Not one piece of useful information to anyone on this board for the entire time you have been here.
I would hardly call anything you post as "wisdom". So I guess the feeling is mutual. I gave up on any in depth technical information or help after the C&L fiasco. People on this board have no interest in logic and reason. They want a company to bash and a company to worship, that's all.
Old 3/25/10, 06:07 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Bullitt995
I would hardly call anything you post as "wisdom". So I guess the feeling is mutual. I gave up on any in depth technical information or help after the C&L fiasco. People on this board have no interest in logic and reason. They want a company to bash and a company to worship, that's all.
Cmon now, if you really believe that then your just being ignorant. Ive received excellent info from board members on here and even given some decent info once or twice. lol

maybe you and Mach just agree to disagree like I have at times with a certain someone on here. Personally I've always been given great advice from Scott (Mach)

Last edited by colbymh; 3/25/10 at 06:08 PM.
Old 3/26/10, 10:37 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by GRAYPNY

I wonder how much HP those cam covers are worth?
Not much since they dont come with any stickers
Old 3/26/10, 12:08 PM
GT Member

Debating gains of a few hp here and there from an intake manifold, is pretty funny stuff. You don't buy an intake manifold for more power....you buy one to manage the power you have or improve gas flow per cylinder, and such. Certainly did not buy the JPC for a single hp gain.

As far as expertise on this site.....pretty much the same as anywhere else. It's garbage in...garbage out. Folk are fed info and details by magazines and vendors and much of it is garbage...sales pitching...whatever works. Then that same garbage ends up in a thread.

Got to start somewhere, so posting a thread is a starting point... is all. Got to do your research independent of what posters like forensicsteve, have to say.

Last edited by forensicsteve; 3/26/10 at 12:30 PM.
Old 3/28/10, 10:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Have to say that the FR package looks nice.Would have been nice for them to put est. gains on with it..But I would guess it would be good for about 350~375 to the wheels maybe ? Or maybe 320~350...I'm guessing though.
Old 3/29/10, 09:54 AM
GT Member

Ok I have the C&L on my car and I love it. Yes it weighs more but it really don't heak up like people would think. I have driven my car for about an hour or so before and when I stopped I raised my hood and got out and helt my hand on top of my C&L. Yes it was warm but I helt my hand on it. I laughed because all you hear about is people saying the intakes heat up. BLAH BLAH BLAH. LOL Look at it this way also. If you go to the track you can throw a bag of ice on top of the C&L and not worry about it cracking.

I think the FRPP intake is nice. I'm glad I got my C&L and don't regret it and I don't think I ever will. I posted what the C&L picked up on my car and it was a nice gain for what little I have done to my car.
Old 4/6/10, 06:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by AGBULLIT
Ford Racing 2005-2010 Mustang GT Top End Power Package

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com...m-fr4-s197.htm
D...D...>DAAAAMMMMIT!! Just when I was starting to get my spending under control! I've been thinking about cams and heads with my upcoming attempt with the dreaded 2-piece spark plug change...this is **** tempting
Old 4/12/10, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by AGBULLIT
Ford Racing 2005-2010 Mustang GT Top End Power Package

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com...m-fr4-s197.htm
Just wondering what the consensus is on this pack, because im considering getting a 2010 mustang for cheap and adding this pack in. With the rebates at 3k here in texas, its almost free.

How would it affect me if i decided to go FI later?

Last edited by Lunatic; 4/12/10 at 07:04 AM.
Old 4/12/10, 09:08 AM
GT Member

last time i talked to brenspeed chandler said they were supposed to get one in for testing. i dunno if they ever did or not and if they did what the test showed.

Quick Reply: FRPP 3V Intake