GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Front end strut 'popping' sound folks

Search this Thread

Old 3/24/05, 10:22 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just curious to see who has taken their car in to have this fixed by the dealer and any specific details - did you find out an actual part number?... I don't believe there is a true TSB on this correct?....

Planning on having this done next month and wanna have my info straight - thanks folks!!!
Old 3/24/05, 11:45 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Burke0011@March 24, 2005, 11:25 AM
Just curious to see who has taken their car in to have this fixed by the dealer and any specific details - did you find out an actual part number?... I don't believe there is a true TSB on this correct?....

Planning on having this done next month and wanna have my info straight - thanks folks!!!
I know there are other threads on this but...

Last week I was at the dealership having them fix a transmission leak and I also requested they fix the "popping". There IS a TSB but it instructs the dealership not to fix the problem and that it is still being investigated by Ford engineering. I saw it with my own eyes and tried to remember the TSB number, with no luck.

I gave them a major tongue lashing and told them that other delaships are addressing this. No dice. Mine isn't very loud yet... but it's there. As you can tell I've had a bit of a negative experience with my dealership's service department.
Old 3/24/05, 11:53 AM
FR500 Member

That was probably the Oasis report the stated there is no fix yet. When they issue a TSB it'll have a fix.

Apparently just replacing them won't permanently fix the problem.

There's been a couple of forum members who had the problem fixed/strut bearings replaced, only for it to return again.
Old 3/24/05, 12:22 PM
GT Member

Ditto what everybody else said. I had my car at the dealership last week to get it fixed and Ford hasn't instructed them on what to do yet.

Earlier dealerships were just replacing parts but the problem comes back. Ford is working on re-engineering the design.
Old 3/24/05, 12:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

same, had it in a few days ago, no fixe for the upper strut bearings, keep checking with Ford for details
Old 3/24/05, 12:40 PM
Cobra Member

Good info guys - thanks - I had not heard this latest round with them still going bad after replacement - I'm going to tell my dealer about it in the meantime - just to get it on record....I have a whopping 2,600 miles on my Mustang now - almost time to trade for a newer ride...hmmmm lets see there was that Shelby GT 500....pant, pant...tounge hanging down....
Old 3/24/05, 12:55 PM
FR500 Member

2,600! That's all, get drivin, I've got 4,500 since Jan 12...
Old 3/24/05, 01:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Spoke with engineering today, service bulletin for repair is in development procedure and parts should be available in mid to late April.

Hang in there guys!
Old 3/24/05, 02:01 PM
FR500 Member

Hanging on my pinky toe....can't lose grip... Ahhhhhhhhhhhh !
Old 3/24/05, 02:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Maybe we should be called the "Mustang Extended Development Team"
Old 3/24/05, 03:09 PM
Cobra Member

Just got off the phone a few minutes ago with my dealership. They ordered both front struts and bearings and whatever else it entails. I called them because it's been two weeks to find out whats up. They have all but one part, and said they will call me when it arrives. I asked if they were the same as the ones to be removed which he said yes they were. I then asked if there was a TSB because alot of people were saying they got them replaced just to have the problem again, that it was a possible design flaw. He said NO TSB, that the few they have replaced have solved the problem.

So unless my dealerships service advisor and parts/service dept is ignorant, they have not been informed as to any TSB, and to their knowledge replacing the parts under warrenty is the fix.

I don't understand why some people have said their dealerships have refused to replace their struts because of a TSB or what not.

Shouldn't all dealerships be on the same page here? I find it amazing that some dealerships would know about the problem and others wouldn't.

I hope having them replaced will solve the problem, since they inspected it, the struts have really been popping, and its actually kind of embarassing. Brand new car popping and cracking like it's going to fall apart.
Old 3/24/05, 04:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by SixtySix@March 24, 2005, 1:58 PM
2,600! That's all, get drivin, I've got 4,500 since Jan 12...

Hey 66 - I have a 98 Explorer that I put my airport/commute miles on - sooooo that's 2600 miles of PURE Driving Pleasure I'm gonna try and keep it to 10K per year (if I can stand it that is)
Old 3/24/05, 06:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by SixtySix@March 24, 2005, 1:56 PM
That was probably the Oasis report the stated there is no fix yet. When they issue a TSB it'll have a fix.

Apparently just replacing them won't permanently fix the problem.

There's been a couple of forum members who had the problem fixed/strut bearings replaced, only for it to return again.

Yep, I took mine in. The dealer replaced the upper strut bearing mounts. Within the last few weeks the problem has returned
Old 3/24/05, 06:45 PM
Big Falken Tires

Excellent - thanks so much for all the up to date info - I had kind of lost track of this issue for a while.

And I'm with you 66 - just short of 4,500 miles! :drive:
Old 3/24/05, 07:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by nynvolt@March 24, 2005, 5:12 PM
So unless my dealerships service advisor and parts/service dept is ignorant, they have not been informed as to any TSB, and to their knowledge replacing the parts under warrenty is the fix.

Not all dealership service departments operate the same-unfortunately. Where I work we use every tool provided to us-that includes contacting the Tech hotline for assistance-that is where I garnered the information I reported. Replacing the struts and bearings/mounts with current service stock WILL NOT solve the problem
Be patient, this is an annoying noise (mine only occurs for a short period after parking on an incline or when I park with my wheels cut) not a safety or durability problem. I realize we all love our cars and only want them to make the right noises!!
Old 3/24/05, 08:25 PM
Big Falken Tires

Originally posted by Tiberius1701+March 24, 2005, 8:20 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiberius1701 @ March 24, 2005, 8:20 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-nynvolt@March 24, 2005, 5:12 PM

Not all dealership service departments operate the same-unfortunately. Where I work we use every tool provided to us-that includes contacting the Tech hotline for assistance-that is where I garnered the information I reported. Replacing the struts and bearings/mounts with current service stock WILL NOT solve the problem
Be patient, this is an annoying noise (mine only occurs for a short period after parking on an incline or when I park with my wheels cut) not a safety or durability problem. I realize we all love our cars and only want them to make the right noises!!
[/b][/quote]

Awesome - thanks so much Matt!
Old 3/25/05, 09:29 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by nynvolt@March 24, 2005, 5:12 PM
I had to really bite my tongue when I read this.

The dealerships are WAY behind the curve, with a few exceptions. If I didn't tell mine there was a known issue with the strut bearings they never would have searched hard enough to find it. Kinda sad. I wish they had a fraction of the enthusiam we have towards the S197.

Also the brakes still squeek pretty bad and they refuse to replace them. :notnice:

I hate to sound like a whiner... but this is my baby we are talking about.
Old 3/27/05, 07:28 PM
V6 Member

Hi everyone! Just wanna make sure the popping noise that appeared today on mine after hitting 1000km is the same. It does make a popping noise that seems to be coming from the left front wheel either from backing up or moving forward from a stopping standpoint. Like to to get out of a parking spot.

So before I drive down to the dealership let me know if this is the same popping noise you are referring to.
Thanks.
Old 3/27/05, 07:42 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by bluestang2go@March 27, 2005, 9:31 PM
Hi everyone! Just wanna make sure the popping noise that appeared today on mine after hitting 1000km is the same. It does make a popping noise that seems to be coming from the left front wheel either from backing up or moving forward from a stopping standpoint. Like to to get out of a parking spot.

So before I drive down to the dealership let me know if this is the same popping noise you are referring to.
Thanks.
That's it. You will probably get it eventually on both sides. Low speed turns like parking are when it is worst.
Old 3/27/05, 08:07 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Blk05GT+March 27, 2005, 8:45 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blk05GT @ March 27, 2005, 8:45 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-bluestang2go@March 27, 2005, 9:31 PM

Thanks.
That's it. You will probably get it eventually on both sides. Low speed turns like parking are when it is worst.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks alot friend, this way I'll know what it is when I go to the dealership.

Have a good one
John

Quick Reply: Front end strut 'popping' sound folks