GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Front-end clunking ('07 thread)

Search this Thread

Old 11/5/06, 06:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been keeping up with this post ever since it started.

I too had the same issue with my 05 GT. The first time I heard it I thought....What in the heck was that sound........sounded like something was loose in the suspension.

It wasnt until I decided to remove my front sway bar that I discovered the problem. The torque specs call for the sway to be tightened to the shock tower at 85lbs. If my memory serves me correctly.

Anyway, when I jacked the car up, removed the drivers side tire and began to try and break loose the sway bolt connected to the tower.........that baby was on there........like to never got that thing broke loose.

I moved to the passenger side repeated the same process. Only this time when breaking the sway bolt loose from the tower it broke loose with no effort at all............and the first thing that popped into mind mind was ..........WTF is this.

After removing the front sway I have not detected the clunking sound.

I now have the BMR Front Sway Delete and Radiator Support Kit plus the GMS Dual STB installed on the GT.

This information was passed along to a Ford Tech discussion post I ran into a couple of months ago. What they did with the info is anyones guess.

Just for a test though, if you remove the front sway, the clunking sound will go away.

I dont know anything about the TB bearings that have been talked about here.

Later
Old 11/5/06, 03:59 PM
V6 Member

Could you just disconnet the sway bars links to test for the noise or lack theri of ?
Old 11/5/06, 04:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Silverfox
Could you just disconnet the sway bars links to test for the noise or lack theri of ?
Sure.

Just make sure you tie the ends up and out of the way.

You may notice that the sway ends are not bolted to the same side of the each strut.........I thought that was kinda odd.

Maybe Ford used a left handed robot on the passenger side of the car.
Old 11/6/06, 05:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by mvon919
You probably don't consider some noises as problems as I do. I'm used
to loud cars, but not anything that comes somewhere other than engine and wind. Cause of that, I'd say I have a problem in my head. I just need to leave them be, cause they seem to be "normal".

Honestly, I need to take it to the dealer (maybe BMW dealer knows how to make it quiet?)
You have a problem if you hear clunking noises from your frontend. It is not normal. I am guessing the strut mount bearing as others before me have.
Old 11/6/06, 08:06 PM
Bullitt Member

So, you had your Strut Mount Bearings changed?
Old 11/7/06, 07:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm fighting a clunking noise and it's gotten louder and louder. I'm almost certain it's the strut mount bearing because i broke a stud on the right front one and had to replace it.

When i got the new one, the cap came off and 3 bearings fell out, I thought nothing of it and put it in anyway after snapping it back together.. after all.... it doesn't move

WRONG... why would they put bearings where something didn't move.

needless to say the track time I think put enough pressure on it to crush or break that side and now it cluks a lot.

i unfortunately can't fix it till this weekend.. hope its safe to drive...

it's my ride to work.

I'll let you know if this does in fact fix my problem and it might be yours..

Fix One Repair Daily hopefully doesnt become a fact.
Old 11/8/06, 10:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Dropped my car today to dealer for this clunking noise and rear axle groan. Rear axle clutch pack was changed and groan problem solved, but they didn't find any problem with the clunking and they said it normal... after I drove another '07 GT today, there was same noises and I'd say my clunking is normal... cause it's still a Ford They checked everything and 2 guys took a test drive.

I have no idea where it's coming from and nobody else than me can't even hear it... maybe it's in my head? I just need to suck it.

I was thinking getting Steeda Ultralite Springs and replace every rubber bushing with urethane ones to get it more rigid. If the car lowers a bit, strut has more pressure (if the noise comes from strut) and I never liked rubber bushings anyway.
Old 11/8/06, 10:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just figured out my clunking problem... so maybe this MIGHT? help you.

Bad strut bearing cap on passenger side... (i knew this already) AND.....

I put the front end on jack stands and took off the wheel... then i started checking connections and bolts for something loose.

I found the end link on the strut was loose a little... just enough to move up/down/left/right etc... I turned it probably two turns and it got tight. With pressure ON the endlink with the swaybar it had no play... but once it was on stands and neutral with no weight it showed it's ugly head.

Not sure if this will help you but it being two turns loose was enough to cause my whole front end to clunk.

I'll test drive it tomorrow when i goto work but i'm sure that was the problem.

good luck on your 07 and getting that fixed.
Old 11/9/06, 09:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks. I'll check that tomorrow.
Old 11/11/06, 12:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy clunk, clunk, clunk...

I've had it since day one. It's the only thing I don't like about my Stang. Hope I can clear it up soon. Its sucks!!! I mean clunks. Every little bump in the road.

Old 12/14/06, 04:13 PM

front end clunk

I just joined the list.I have a 07 gt .It does not have any of the sounds of the 05-06 yet.We found that the coil on the springs do not fit in the strut housing.They can turn.They should be setting against the stops.We turned the spring till it hit the top stop and put a bolt and nut at the bottom to keep the spring from twisting or rotating toward the bottom stop.This slack area is the popping sound we heard on my friends car.Also had the same proplem on my 64 GTO.It may not make cents but we have helped 2 other 05-06 mustangs.
Old 12/15/06, 12:08 PM

the problem is the sway bar links...even if they look fine...change them. That fixed my clunking. The funny thing is even when they are pulled off they look perfect...but it was them sure
Old 12/15/06, 01:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok, I'll order aftermarket front sway end links... suggestions?
Old 12/15/06, 03:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

All the loctite and torque I could apply couldn't keep the stock ones from loosening. I got the Powergrid endlinks and have not heard a clunk since.
Old 12/15/06, 07:59 PM
Bullitt Member

I wouldn't go throwing parts at it just yet. I had my brand new '07 GT back to the dealership this week with 300 miles on it and the front end clunking problem. They told me they were in contact with the tech hotline and Ford has ruled out the suspension as the problem, they are looking at the chassis and are working on a fix. They are very aware of this issue with our cars. Stay tuned...
Old 12/20/06, 09:27 AM
GT Member

+1 on checking the end links
I also had a clunking noise from the front. It was driving me nuts, but once I re-tightened and added locktite to the front end link where it bolts to the strut I have had no problems.
Old 12/20/06, 11:53 AM

Ok, I'll order aftermarket front sway end links... suggestions?
Granatelli. Check the vendor parts for sale section. They were on sale recently. I think they are honoring all previous sale prices. Find the previous sale price and give them a call.
Old 12/21/06, 04:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
This may have already been posted, but in what type of driving condition(s) does the clunk rear its ugly head?
Old 12/21/06, 08:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
You probably don't consider some noises as problems as I do. I'm used
to loud cars, but not anything that comes somewhere other than engine and wind. Cause of that, I'd say I have a problem in my head. I just need to leave them be, cause they seem to be "normal".

Honestly, I need to take it to the dealer (maybe BMW dealer knows how to make it quiet?)
I agree my struts sound like hell over bumps at slow speed. Sounds like metal on metal. Most def not right.
Old 12/21/06, 08:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
Dropped my car today to dealer for this clunking noise and rear axle groan. Rear axle clutch pack was changed and groan problem solved, but they didn't find any problem with the clunking and they said it normal... after I drove another '07 GT today, there was same noises and I'd say my clunking is normal... cause it's still a Ford They checked everything and 2 guys took a test drive.

I have no idea where it's coming from and nobody else than me can't even hear it... maybe it's in my head? I just need to suck it.

I was thinking getting Steeda Ultralite Springs and replace every rubber bushing with urethane ones to get it more rigid. If the car lowers a bit, strut has more pressure (if the noise comes from strut) and I never liked rubber bushings anyway.
They said it was normal.... sure is... doesn't make it right. They f ed them all up when they built them LOL

Quick Reply: Front-end clunking ('07 thread)