GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Front control arms?

Search this Thread

Old 9/14/11, 07:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_VaporGT_09
More details, please!!

So those are your OEM arms with the Steeda balljoints, or the OEM? Those the original BMR pieces as well?

Are there Zerks on each location? Looks like maybe on the tip of the white-bushinged piece, what about the red?
First one, OEM arms, Steeda X5 ball joints. Those Steedas were just as shiny as the BMR units 3 1/2 years ago. Just shows what road salt does to a car, even the light stuff like we have here in the mid-atlantic. The BMRs are as they came out of the box. BMR gives you two options: standard height for stock ride hight, and tall for lowered cars. I opted for tall.

The zerks are on every location, white delrin bushing, front bushing, and the ball joint itself.

Update on ride quality: I definitely feel the road more, including the bumps. but I only feel them in the steering wheel. So I just call it 'feedback'
Old 9/17/11, 05:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
they look nice but poly bushings always squeak for no good reason seems like the grease just doesn't stay in them very long
when mine finally go out I'll use the SVT upgraded stock ones
that will match the rears
Old 9/18/11, 07:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I've had a steeda upper control arm and BMR lower control arms in the rear for 3 1/2 years and theyve never squeaked. Its only these new ones that have. they stopped making noise by themselves, not really sure why.

I'm wondering if its the difference in grease. For the rear arms I used valvoline full synthetic multipurpose grease, stuff was black. For the front I used the grease BMR supplied which is a different type specifically for urethane bushings, which is clear. There's definitely a difference in consistency
Old 10/14/11, 03:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

So I figured out the difference as to why the front squeaks on humid or rainy days but the rear is silent: Delrin. I thought Delrin was a type of joint, but it turns out Delrin is the material used to make the rear bushing on the A-arm. the rear control arms have regular urethane. It's self-lubricating but infamous for squeaking--and loud. I had tons of people staring at me today, not in a good way. I'm going to switch from the energy suspension grease to the moly grease I used on the rear. It looks like it's more resistant to moisture. And if that fails--marine grease. If marine fails, I'm going to swap to GT500 control arms. This is driving me crazy.
Old 10/14/11, 04:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got the same squeakiness in the rear, though improved after I worked on centering the axle better. Turns out when I installed the Watts link the rear was off by about 1/2" to the right, I've got it down to a 1/4" but will need some ratcheting ropes to do any better. Caused eccentric wear on the little rubber bumper on my Metco upper third arm, that's how I first noticed it.
Think it's over stressing one side or the other of all three control arms, giving lots of little squeaks, worse in dry (almost always dry here), and in the cold. BUT, also worse turning left compared to right, which is another clue it was my offset.