GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

forged internals help!

Search this Thread

Old 6/20/10, 01:08 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
forged internals help!

I am wanting to go forged internals. The reason for this is because i wanna go to about 15psi i have decided....does anyone know if there is a kit i can buy that will make this safe, and where to buy it. I don't know if it would have to be stroked, and new heads to support 15psi...but i think thats what i wanna run...someone please help.. Also, how much would it be to have it all installed if i already had the kit?
Old 6/20/10, 01:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by d_bone33
I am wanting to go forged internals. The reason for this is because i wanna go to about 15psi i have decided....does anyone know if there is a kit i can buy that will make this safe, and where to buy it. I don't know if it would have to be stroked, and new heads to support 15psi...but i think thats what i wanna run...someone please help.. Also, how much would it be to have it all installed if i already had the kit?
You have a lot of learning to do, and I do not mean that sarcastically at all.

I use a Kellog forged crank, Manley forged H-beam rods and CP forged pistons with a compression ration of about 9:25:1.

I would keep the compression to around 9:1 or less for a twin screw. A bit more is fine for a centri.

You can buy these parts (kits) and assembled shortblocks from well known modular engine builders like Livernois, JDM.

You do not have to use a stroker crank to achieve your goals.
Old 6/20/10, 06:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Isn't it better to decide on a power goal/type of induction and work backwards from there? Deciding on what PSI you want to run and that you want forged internals first seems like a odd way to go . You should use the PSI needed to make the power you want with the type of supercharger/turbo you want, and use forged internals if necessary to run that much boost.
Old 6/20/10, 09:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

You need to pick a horsepower/ET goal before you do anything. It kind of sounds like you're going down a road you don't know much about. If you need someone to talk some sense into you, shoot me a PM.
Old 6/21/10, 01:05 AM
GT Member

you are all right. I don't know much about it at all, kinda why i ask questions on here so someone could tell me. I want to be at about 500hp. It isnt neccesarrily a daily driver, but i will be driving it alot, so going any higher than that would just be ridiculous i think honestly. i am either buying the whipple ho kit brand new, or the saleen supercharger off of a guy on here, im just waiting to see if his current guy is going to buy it or not. I would like to keep my block stock and run about 10psi. I just dont know if i will be able to get to 500 with only 10psi and a stock block. Thats why i was wondering about going forged, so i could run 12psi or whatever safely and not worry about blowing my engine
Old 6/21/10, 08:04 AM

Are you talking 500 hp at the crank or at the rear wheels? Either way, that figure is fully achievable with a Whipple HO or Saleen twin screw, with the right pulley and a good tune, on stock internals. The key here is the tune. I cannot over-emphasise how important this is. With a bad tune, even 400 hp can grenade your motor.

My advice is decide which blower you want to go with, then decide on who you want to tune it and talk to them about your goals and how they can help you achieve them. I have had superb results from both JDM and Chris Rose (American Muscle) I'm sure others will be along with their recommendations shortly.

Andy.
Old 6/21/10, 08:26 AM
Bullitt Member

I need to be schooled in the ways of forged internals as well. I eventually would like to be in the 450 to 500hp range with a turbo or twin turbo set up. So any knowledge would be greatly appreiciated.
Old 6/21/10, 10:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

You don't need a built short block for 450-500rwhp.
Old 6/21/10, 01:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Oh well that's good to know.
Old 6/22/10, 05:33 AM
GT Member

would like to be in the 450 to 500hp range with a turbo or twin turbo set up
If you go turbo...make sure it is sized correctly for the application. Bigger is not always better.
Old 6/23/10, 10:36 AM
Bullitt Member

450whp is well within what the stock block will handle guys. At that output in a s/c application you are typically looking at 10-11psi.

If you are going twin screw, I might suggest an Aluminator from FRPP. It is essentially a Terminator bottom end, and has 8.7.1 compression, which although a tad low for a centrifugal blower, would work well with a twin screw. Having your engine built may or may not be cheaper, but it's hard to dismiss the convenience of an assembled shortblock.

Make sure whatever blower you buy has room to grow. For example, you may believe 500whp will satisfy you know, but it is nice to have a blower that will allow you to crank up the boost and make more power.

Find some built cars on the forums that resonate with what you would like for your own car and pick their brains.

I am running a forged stroker with an air-to-air and a Vortech YSi. Probably not your cup of tea.
Old 6/23/10, 11:29 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
15psi? here ya go... http://www.brenspeed.com/engineinfo.html