GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Ford Racing Handling Package

Search this Thread

Old 2/21/06, 09:39 PM
I talk to cones.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Redfire 05Gt @ February 21, 2006, 9:03 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I think he's talking about elongating the spindle mounting holes on the strut to allow for camber adjustment...
[/b][/quote]

Yep you need as much negative camber as possible for Autocross. Right at negative 3 degrees is good for a McStrut type car, but not really achievable on Mustangs.
Old 2/21/06, 11:05 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Softbatch...Is autocross any fun? I've been meaning to try it, but I'd rather go to an open track day first with my stang. I've got a decent amount of seat time on road courses, but never have tried Autocross. My friend tried it and told me it wasn't much fun, but then again he is a hard core track junkie.
Old 2/22/06, 07:19 AM
I talk to cones.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ February 22, 2006, 12:08 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Softbatch...Is autocross any fun? I've been meaning to try it, but I'd rather go to an open track day first with my stang. I've got a decent amount of seat time on road courses, but never have tried Autocross. My friend tried it and told me it wasn't much fun, but then again he is a hard core track junkie.
[/b][/quote]

I love it [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

It's a lot of fun but I don't think it would be as fun as OT time. I am still waiting to do my first open track day because I still need to get a better set of brake pads before I even think about driving the high speeds associated with a road course.

I think the biggest difference would be the technical aspect of Autocross, you really have to learn how to carry your specific car's speed through the corners to make good times as well as the fact that there would seem to be a different kind of mental preparation for the Autocross because you get so few laps in which to get a good time.

I see autocross as being a good way to train yourself to be able to drive a car all out around any course and learning how to place your car exactly where you want it to go.

It's a good starting point for an aspiring roadracer or someone that wants to have some cheap thrills and better learn their cars limits without having to worry about breaking any laws.
Old 2/22/06, 08:38 AM
GT Member

Thanks for posting the pics! Looks great [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Can't wait to get the kit.
Old 2/22/06, 06:31 PM
Bullitt Member

im installing mine now, in fits and spurts

i have the bars and strut tower brase on now and will do the shocks springs camberkits tomorrow

see my thread "drag racing is cool but..." in the GT tech forum above

jay
Old 3/2/06, 05:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yep, thanks for posting up the pics, the FRPP package is on my future "to get" list... along with konig beyond 18's and g-force ta kdws.
Old 3/6/06, 08:27 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(topconbob @ February 6, 2006, 11:33 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>Strut tower brace does not fit with plenum cover but other than that it is a good looking product package.
[/b][/quote]

Topconbob, I got my kit in this week. I looked at the tower brace and held it in place just to see the fit and it seemed to clear the top of the engine without any problems. It hasn't been installed yet, so I can't say for 100% sure, but it APPEARS to be clear of obstructions. Do you have an aftermarket plenum cover? I don't - I think I just answered my own question, but I thought I'd ask anyway!

Tony
Old 3/7/06, 03:56 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tony407 @ March 6, 2006, 9:30 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Topconbob, I got my kit in this week. I looked at the tower brace and held it in place just to see the fit and it seemed to clear the top of the engine without any problems. It hasn't been installed yet, so I can't say for 100% sure, but it APPEARS to be clear of obstructions. Do you have an aftermarket plenum cover? I don't - I think I just answered my own question, but I thought I'd ask anyway!

Tony
[/b][/quote]

Yep you did, it works fine with no plenum cover but the Midwest cover sets a little high. I read somewhere someone notched or cut theirs to get it to fit but I don't think I have a steady enough hand to attempt it. You're going to love the change in handling. Slightly firmer (rougher) ride but you can take corners at 90 degrees much much faster! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 3/7/06, 10:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The dealer is installing this kit on my car when it arrives from Flat Rock next week [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

Lowered + beefed up suspension + 18"s out the door = sweeeeeeeeeet

I'm pumped. Pics will of course follow delivery.
Old 3/8/06, 05:49 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(topconbob @ March 7, 2006, 2:59 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Yep you did, it works fine with no plenum cover but the Midwest cover sets a little high. I read somewhere someone notched or cut theirs to get it to fit but I don't think I have a steady enough hand to attempt it. You're going to love the change in handling. Slightly firmer (rougher) ride but you can take corners at 90 degrees much much faster! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

HOLY CRAP!! I'm going to love the handling is an understatement!!

The ride is definitely firmer, like you said, but it is also VERY tight. What setting did you use on the front sway bar? The dealer said I could have soft, medium and firm. I chose medium.

I've just driven it for a little while, but from what I've seen so far, I can't feel any body lean whatsover. I took a few off ramps at some pretty scary speeds and also some other 90 degree turns around town at about 40 mph without even the slightest hint that I was losing traction. There's a TON more room to play with and I'm a little afraid at just what I'm gonna have to put the car through to find its limits. Oh well. Someone's gotta do it!

Tony
Old 3/8/06, 08:15 AM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tony407 @ March 8, 2006, 6:52 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
HOLY CRAP!! I'm going to love the handling is an understatement!!

The ride is definitely firmer, like you said, but it is also VERY tight. What setting did you use on the front sway bar? The dealer said I could have soft, medium and firm. I chose medium.

I've just driven it for a little while, but from what I've seen so far, I can't feel any body lean whatsover. I took a few off ramps at some pretty scary speeds and also some other 90 degree turns around town at about 40 mph without even the slightest hint that I was losing traction. There's a TON more room to play with and I'm a little afraid at just what I'm gonna have to put the car through to find its limits. Oh well. Someone's gotta do it!

Tony
[/b][/quote]

I've tried all 3 and for driving around town and freeway, which in most cases is slower here than around town I put it back to the center (medium). I've surprised a few guys in their "little" cars when they cut me off and I reciprocate!
Old 3/9/06, 01:55 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(topconbob @ March 8, 2006, 7:18 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I've tried all 3 and for driving around town and freeway, which in most cases is slower here than around town I put it back to the center (medium). I've surprised a few guys in their "little" cars when they cut me off and I reciprocate!
[/b][/quote]

Good lord! I put my 20" wheels on today and all I can say is that the car handles like it's on rails. If I'm driving at let's say 60 mph on the highway and to do an emergency lane change, all I have to do is tug at the wheel a little and the car is immediately in the other lane. No steering wheel play, no lean, no sliding...no nothing.

The car rides pretty bumpy now, not like I didn't expect that, but it's something I'll get used to.

Well, I'm glad we're both happy! I'll post pics as soon as the weather improves.

Tony
Old 3/9/06, 06:46 AM
I talk to cones.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tony407 @ March 9, 2006, 2:58 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Good lord! I put my 20" wheels on today and all I can say is that the car handles like it's on rails. If I'm driving at let's say 60 mph on the highway and to do an emergency lane change, all I have to do is tug at the wheel a little and the car is immediately in the other lane. No steering wheel play, no lean, no sliding...no nothing.

The car rides pretty bumpy now, not like I didn't expect that, but it's something I'll get used to.

Well, I'm glad we're both happy! I'll post pics as soon as the weather improves.

Tony
[/b][/quote]

I'll bet it's a lot slower though with all that rotating mass.
Old 3/9/06, 03:35 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softbatch @ March 9, 2006, 5:49 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I'll bet it's a lot slower though with all that rotating mass.
[/b][/quote]

Yes, it does feel a little sluggish.

Tony
Old 3/9/06, 08:11 PM

I got some pics of my car after adding the package and wheels & tires. HERE

Tony