GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Ford Racing Handling Package

Search this Thread

Old 2/16/06, 08:11 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not the best pictures but they give you an idea of the installation. So far no problems did and little testing in an empty parking lot and I think this is going to be fun!

another one, these were on the ground not up on the rack. Those I still can't attach.

One of a before tires, wheels and handling package.
Old 2/16/06, 11:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The package sounds like it works pretty good so far. I'm looking forward to hearing what else you say about it.

<off topic> What louvers are those on your car?
Old 2/17/06, 08:00 AM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MilStang @ February 17, 2006, 12:41 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The package sounds like it works pretty good so far. I'm looking forward to hearing what else you say about it.
<off topic> What louvers are those on your car?
[/b][/quote]

Roush

First auto cross is the 18th of March, I'll know if it was worth it then.
Old 2/18/06, 01:28 PM
I talk to cones.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(topconbob @ February 17, 2006, 9:03 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Roush

First auto cross is the 18th of March, I'll know if it was worth it then.
[/b][/quote]

That sucks I'll be on my fourth AutoX of this year by then. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 2/19/06, 07:53 AM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softbatch @ February 18, 2006, 2:31 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
That sucks I'll be on my fourth AutoX of this year by then. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

It's not like I couldn't do it earlier, the San Francisco region has already done a couple and have one today in fact. I'm just waiting for Sacramento to start in March. I've been doing my own in the new Kohl's parking lot just to see how it handles, so far so good. Although I think I hear a little clunk developing in the front. Could be me but may have it checked out.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(topconbob @ February 19, 2006, 8:54 AM) [post=]Quoted post[/post]</div><div class='quotemain'>
It's not like I couldn't do it earlier, the San Francisco region has already done a couple and have one today in fact. I'm just waiting for Sacramento to start in March. I've been doing my own in the new Kohl's parking lot just to see how it handles, so far so good. Although I think I hear a little clunk developing in the front. Could be me but may have it checked out.
[/b][/quote]

What class on you running and how have you done so far? Are you running street tires or Autocross?
Old 2/19/06, 01:34 PM
I talk to cones.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(topconbob @ February 19, 2006, 8:56 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
What class on you running and how have you done so far? Are you running street tires or Autocross?
[/b][/quote]

I'm running FS with Nitto NT-01 tires, I might be getting some shocks by the summer but I am not sure. The Tires work great compared to stock tires, I really want some Kumho V710s though.

At the test and tune a week ago I finished 7th in Pax, and 1st in FS, vs a 2004 and 2006 GTO, but it was only a test and tune so no points. My first points event will be on March 12th and I will be hitting the Evo School in Nasheville on the 18th and their corresponding AutoX on the 19th, with my local school the next weekend fri-sun. So March is going to be busy.
Old 2/19/06, 01:52 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softbatch @ February 19, 2006, 2:37 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I'm running FS with Nitto NT-01 tires, I might be getting some shocks by the summer but I am not sure. The Tires work great compared to stock tires, I really want some Kumho V710s though.

At the test and tune a week ago I finished 7th in Pax, and 1st in FS, vs a 2004 and 2006 GTO, but it was only a test and tune so no points. My first points event will be on March 12th and I will be hitting the Evo School in Nasheville on the 18th and their corresponding AutoX on the 19th, with my local school the next weekend fri-sun. So March is going to be busy.
[/b][/quote]

Sounds good, with the mods I have I run in ESP. The times I ran last year couldn't catch the older Mustang Cobras or the Evo's, I think I can be more competitive this year. Still going to use the BFG- gforce TA's.
Old 2/19/06, 05:31 PM
I talk to cones.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(topconbob @ February 19, 2006, 2:55 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Sounds good, with the mods I have I run in ESP. The times I ran last year couldn't catch the older Mustang Cobras or the Evo's, I think I can be more competitive this year. Still going to use the BFG- gforce TA's.
[/b][/quote]

I doubt your going to be competitive until you step up to R-Comps, unless everyone else is running street tires. Especially because of the gearing advantage they give. Using 275/40/17s is like putting 3.73 gears in the back of the '05+ Mustangs.

Although those tires do accentuate the 4X4 look.
Old 2/20/06, 07:22 AM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softbatch @ February 19, 2006, 6:34 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I doubt your going to be competitive until you step up to R-Comps, unless everyone else is running street tires. Especially because of the gearing advantage they give. Using 275/40/17s is like putting 3.73 gears in the back of the '05+ Mustangs.

Although those tires do accentuate the 4X4 look.
[/b][/quote]

If I put the 3.73 gears in can I stay in the same class? The way I read the rules I could, since they are "bolt-ons" and not modifications. I'll I have to see how many show up the first weekend, they do run a street tire class.
Old 2/20/06, 07:53 PM
I talk to cones.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(topconbob @ February 20, 2006, 8:25 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
If I put the 3.73 gears in can I stay in the same class? The way I read the rules I could, since they are "bolt-ons" and not modifications. I'll I have to see how many show up the first weekend, they do run a street tire class.
[/b][/quote]

Unless your talking about something other than SCCA solo2 putting gears in would move you up to Street Modified.
Old 2/21/06, 09:45 AM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softbatch @ February 20, 2006, 8:56 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Unless your talking about something other than SCCA solo2 putting gears in would move you up to Street Modified.
[/b][/quote]

Yes you are correct on both counts. Looks like i have to invest in tires.

On the original subject, I had noticed a clunk on the driver side whenever going over a manhole or uneven pavement. Took it in yesterday and found the top bolt on the strut link from the sway bar not was not tightened down completely. No more clunk and the handling is much tighter. I am pleased with the package.
Old 2/21/06, 10:11 AM
I talk to cones.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(topconbob @ February 21, 2006, 10:48 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Yes you are correct on both counts. Looks like i have to invest in tires.

On the original subject, I had noticed a clunk on the driver side whenever going over a manhole or uneven pavement. Took it in yesterday and found the top bolt on the strut link from the sway bar not was not tightened down completely. No more clunk and the handling is much tighter. I am pleased with the package.
[/b][/quote]

On the Off-Topic subject: If you haven't done so already I would suggest going to a minimum 9" wide wheel front and rear. I would suggest 10" front and rear but that may only be doable while using the FR500C front control arms or with some wider offset wheels. If you had the 10" wheels you could fit 295 Kumho V710s with out to much roll-over, now that would be some big time lateral grip.

On Topic, how much good is the combination of the Anti-Roll Bars and new springs doing to prevent body roll over the front.
Old 2/21/06, 10:31 AM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softbatch @ February 21, 2006, 11:14 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
On the Off-Topic subject: If you haven't done so already I would suggest going to a minimum 9" wide wheel front and rear. I would suggest 10" front and rear but that may only be doable while using the FR500C front control arms or with some wider offset wheels. If you had the 10" wheels you could fit 295 Kumho V710s with out to much roll-over, now that would be some big time lateral grip.

On Topic, how much good is the combination of the Anti-Roll Bars and new springs doing to prevent body roll over the front.
[/b][/quote]

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being stock I'd say it is a 7. With the handling package my next concern is brakes and tires with tires being the first concern. Notice the lean in this picture from last fall.
Old 2/21/06, 10:34 AM
I talk to cones.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(topconbob @ February 21, 2006, 11:34 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being stock I'd say it is a 7. With the handling package my next concern is brakes and tires with tires being the first concern. Notice the lean in this picture from last fall.
[/b][/quote]

Don't forget about a good alignment, it should help a lot.

I'll hopefully be getting my struts slotted soon to save my Nittos from a horribly early death.
Old 2/21/06, 02:31 PM
GT Member

Bob, can you post a few shots of your car with the new set-up? I was thinking about using the same set-up and was curious to see how the car sits on the new suspension.
Old 2/21/06, 03:46 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softbatch @ February 21, 2006, 9:37 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>I'll hopefully be getting my struts slotted soon to save my Nittos from a horribly early death.
[/b][/quote]

Please explain. You lost me.

Tony
Old 2/21/06, 05:16 PM
GT Member

[attachmentid=45641][attachmentid=45642]<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheWrench @ February 21, 2006, 3:34 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Bob, can you post a few shots of your car with the new set-up? I was thinking about using the same set-up and was curious to see how the car sits on the new suspension.
[/b][/quote]

Here's a couple

[attachmentid=45643][attachmentid=45644]couple more
Old 2/21/06, 05:51 PM

Bob,

That looks GREAT!! I had found this thread a while back using search, because I was also interested in getting the FRPP. I ordered mine on Saturday for $1,049 ($20 s/h) and I'm starting to feel better and better about my decision thanks to you (not that I wasn't gung-ho before). I'm surprised the car sits so low for only a 1.5 inch drop, but it looks awesome and is exactly what I want.

Tony
Old 2/21/06, 07:01 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tony407 @ February 21, 2006, 6:54 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Bob,

That looks GREAT!! I had found this thread a while back using search, because I was also interested in getting the FRPP. I ordered mine on Saturday for $1,049 ($20 s/h) and I'm starting to feel better and better about my decision thanks to you (not that I wasn't gung-ho before). I'm surprised the car sits so low for only a 1.5 inch drop, but it looks awesome and is exactly what I want.

Tony
[/b][/quote]

Thanks Tony,
Now that the one little glitch we had is straightened out I couldn't be happier. One of the strut link bolts to the sway bar was a little loose and caused a clunk for a day til we figured it out.
Old 2/21/06, 08:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tony407 @ February 21, 2006, 2:49 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Please explain. You lost me.

Tony
[/b][/quote]
I think he's talking about elongating the spindle mounting holes on the strut to allow for camber adjustment...

Quick Reply: Ford Racing Handling Package