GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Are Flowmasters really that great?

Search this Thread

Old 5/9/07, 08:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hstang
You will be dissapointed with the performance of a slowmaster.
What do you mean as far as performance?
Old 5/9/07, 10:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by HEADACHEZ
What do you mean as far as performance?
1-2hp you most likely can't notice any performance difference between aftermarket muffler brands! I doubt you could even notice 10hp gain or loss (which I'm guessing is probably the maximum difference between mufflers brands, but is probably an extreme guess). Buy a muffler for it's sound, not for an extra 3hp over another brand. The sound may make the car seem more powerful, but I doubt you actually feel any difference. When you have 300+hp, and you add or subtract just a few hp? I highly doubt you can sense the difference other than the sound of a different muffler.
Old 5/9/07, 10:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Error404
1-2hp you most likely can't notice any performance difference between aftermarket muffler brands! I doubt you could even notice 10hp gain or loss (which I'm guessing is probably the maximum difference between mufflers brands, but is probably an extreme guess). Buy a muffler for it's sound, not for an extra 3hp over another brand. The sound may make the car seem more powerful, but I doubt you actually feel any difference. When you have 300+hp, and you add or subtract just a few hp? I highly doubt you can sense the difference other than the sound of a different muffler.
+1 that other guy doesn't know what the heck he's talking about.
Old 5/9/07, 11:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

yeah, Im really just interested in looks and sound. I cant get over the the way the stock mufflers and tips look.
Old 5/9/07, 11:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeah thanks for the troll post there hstang.

Another vote for the flowmasters, they sound quite good. What I like is that when I don't want to hear them like on a long highway drive I can only hear them thrumming along but not blaring (which I've had before). It would make the drive more tiring.

The things sound insane at full throttle though, they just wail and I've had a bunch of compliments from other people and Stangers at the dragstrip. I personally like the look of the tips, but I will conceed the FRPP have some very nice tips.
Old 5/9/07, 11:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Yeah, slowed my car down so much I want to sell it

Cmon give me a break, show me where there was a loss of performance.
The consensus is zero gain/loss with most axle backs. They are a sound modification.
Old 5/9/07, 12:44 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Cowtown

Another vote for the flowmasters, they sound quite good. What I like is that when I don't want to hear them like on a long highway drive I can only hear them thrumming along but not blaring (which I've had before). It would make the drive more tiring.

The things sound insane at full throttle though, they just wail and I've had a bunch of compliments from other people and Stangers at the dragstrip. I personally like the look of the tips, but I will conceed the FRPP have some very nice tips.

love mine also
Old 5/9/07, 12:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cowtown

+30 My Flows always turn heads and I get a ton of compliments on the sound. Absolutely roars at WOT and at cruise, nice low growl. Only drone I get is when under load (going up a steep grade).. but completely bearable. Best part is I can still hear the Shaker on long trips.
Old 5/9/07, 01:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Error404
Exactly that's why I asked what he meant by performance. I choose Flowmasters for the sound and quality but mainly the sound.

Casting another vote for Flowmasters
Old 5/9/07, 06:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, quality? Seems most people with Flowmasters don't like them because they have quality defects...
Old 5/9/07, 07:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I've had mine on for 17 months with no problems. I guess I gotg the quality ones, lol.
Old 5/9/07, 07:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Old 5/9/07, 08:00 PM

+1 for the Flows...nice sound.
Old 5/9/07, 08:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the quality issues have been resolved after the first run. I had an issue with mine and they replaced them no questions asked.
Old 5/9/07, 08:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Enfynet
I think the quality issues have been resolved after the first run. I had an issue with mine and they replaced them no questions asked.
+1 I had the broken baffle issue on my first set and they replaced them. I've been trouble free ever since.
Old 5/9/07, 10:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Agent MOO
Yeah, I think you'll find that 95% of the time, a comparable size muffler from another brand, like Pypes or Spintech, will outflow a Flowmaster.
Old 5/10/07, 07:15 AM

I have the Flows, with an catted X pipe & LT headers...

For me, it's a bit loud for when ya wanna be stealth and stomp on it... I get nervous the cops will hear me comming. But for pure sound and DD they are nice... you can be quiet with them for driving around town...

When ya let her rip, she screams. there is no denying that they sound good, but also no denying that some people will prefer a different sound. I maybe louder cause I'm blown and have a full exhaust set up, so I dunno what just the axelbacks on a otherwise stock GT would sound like.

Yes, I have gotten compliments on the sound, so they gotta sound good to some.

I've noticed that they are more raspy when the motor is still cold, but when the motor is warmed up it smooths the sound out. Plus I'm running an X pipe, so there is more rasp there.

Cant really tell me that they don't flow good, my exhaust flows so well that I'm down 2psi on average with different pulleys on the saleen... so the setup flows real well... not much backpressure there.

As far as HP and gains, I certinaly personally don't worry about a few HP...that's negligable at best and the car is gunna average different HP output based on climate changes...
Old 5/10/07, 07:24 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 07GT_BLACK
+1 for the Flows...nice sound.
The Flowmasters were the first modification I did, very shortly after gettin the car. I don't regret it as drone is not an issue and they are defintaley deeper/louder than stock.
They do not sound as aggressive as the old Flowmaser Series 40s but they still sound good.
Old 5/10/07, 10:12 AM
Bullitt Member

+1 for Flowmasters. Stock, other than the Flows, I managed a best 1/4 of 13.678 at 103.3 so I wouldn't say they hurt performance even if they might not "flow" as well as some other brands. Plus, at about 1/2 the price of other popular brands, you can't beat 'em!

Awesome burble upon deceleration with the Flows that was inaudible with the stock GT mufflers.

If you are really worried only about how well they flow the exhaust gasses, just put on a set of SLPs.
Old 5/10/07, 10:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

He said burple! Good description

Quick Reply: Are Flowmasters really that great?