GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Flowmasters Going Under The Knife

Search this Thread

Old 6/26/07, 08:21 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flowmasters Going Under The Knife

The other day I explained the blown baffles problem(do to poor welding) on the flowmasters!! Of course I don't have my reciept so flowmaster sid that they would give me a new set for a discounted price. Hmmm. I don't think I want to spend another dime on flowmaster in fear that it WILL happen again.This seems to be more and more common with the Flowmasters on the new mustangs.
So I took my mufflers to the same guy who welded my resonators. He said that he can do the operation no problem. He is gonna remocve the weld around the muffler closest to the tips and then put a good weld on the inside. Hope he's right. If not I have nothin to lose. If the operation doesn't go well I am looking else where. My 20 year relationship with Flowmaster is over !!
Attached are the flowmaster blown baffle vids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKXZ1jIr40g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhxFrg9DSHA

other forum with vid scroll down page to see vid http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=696418

OTHER REATED TOPIC http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=67092
Old 6/26/07, 08:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Good luck man, sounds like you're probably doing the right thing by fixing it yourself.
Old 6/26/07, 08:35 PM
GT Member

Question

Has anyone heard of anyone else doing this kind of operation?? Am I the
guinea pig ???
Old 6/26/07, 08:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I know of people operating on the factory muffs, but I don't recall anyone taking the Flows under the knife yet.
Old 6/26/07, 08:44 PM
GT Member

factory mufflers

Originally Posted by tom281
I know of people operating on the factory muffs, but I don't recall anyone taking the Flows under the knife yet.

What have people done to the factory mufflers??
By the way. I'm thinking about a supercharger. How do you like yours and does it whistle pretty good??
Old 6/26/07, 08:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 2006muzzy
By the way. I'm thinking about a supercharger. How do you like yours and does it whistle pretty good??

I don't remember exactly, but I think the member's name is red454.......

As far as the Vortech- I love it! Of course it could always be louder, but it does whistle pretty good!
Old 6/26/07, 08:47 PM
GT Member

The last time...

Originally Posted by 2006muzzy

the last time I talked to you Tom, i think we were both waiting for our cars. AHHHH the good ol days. That was a anxious time but fun
Old 6/26/07, 09:42 PM
V6 Member

Now here i am cursing trying to find a rattle on my car and I find out its the flowmasters! Hah! Your video confirms it. Let us know how it goes. Its been over a year for me so the warranty wont cover it.
Old 6/26/07, 10:08 PM
GT Member

Flowmasters are built like &%#$

Here is another person with the same problem. HMMMMM-Houston ,I mean flowmaster Inc.,We have a problem!!
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=696418
Old 6/27/07, 05:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm surprised that Dustin hasn't popped in this thread yet...... I think he's gone thru like 3 or 4 sets all with the same problem.
Old 6/27/07, 05:51 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TNumber5
Now here i am cursing trying to find a rattle on my car and I find out its the flowmasters! Hah! Your video confirms it. Let us know how it goes. Its been over a year for me so the warranty wont cover it.
They will cover it, call them. Mine was past a year and they replaced them
Old 6/27/07, 05:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Dam speak of the devil!
Old 6/27/07, 05:53 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tom281
I'm surprised that Dustin hasn't popped in this thread yet...... I think he's gone thru like 3 or 4 sets all with the same problem.
I considered welding mine as well. But Flowmaster kept replacing them free so I didn't bother. Finally on my 4th replacement set I sold them to a guy I met at a gas station new in box for $220. I've decided that mufflers aren't for me and don't use them anymore. Besides I was going to kill myself if I had to swap mufflers out again.
Old 6/27/07, 12:13 PM

I have a buddie that can't find his receipt either. We're going to attempt the surgery also. Sad that Flowmaster won't stand behind them w/o a receipt.

You guys might want to try to see if the place you bought them from can send you a receipt or at least a copy. Also, if you ordered via web, you might still have the e-receipt (if you clean you inbox out like I do... every ten years). Just some thoughts.

I have flows but no problems THUS far. I only 5k miles on them though.
Old 6/27/07, 12:26 PM

BTW... I sent Flowmaster a note saying they need to change there policy and stand behind their product. (That all we're asking them to do). I also sent a link to this thread.
Old 6/27/07, 01:58 PM
V6 Member

When I go back to NorCal I am thinking of stopping by and throwing the mufflers at them. My parents live 20 minutes away from flowmaster and I never knew that untill something broke! Maybe they will fix it for me...
Old 6/27/07, 02:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006GT
I have a buddie that can't find his receipt either. We're going to attempt the surgery also. Sad that Flowmaster won't stand behind them w/o a receipt.
I replaced my buzzing Flows under warranty, and the replacement set is still going strong after 18,000 miles.

Not trying to start a flame war here and I am NOT attacking you, but why would you expect them to do anything for you if you have no receipt?

KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS. I think you are being unreasonable in expecting ANY company to do ANYTHING without a receipt. It's all about documentation! Without documentation you have NOTHING.
Old 6/27/07, 05:37 PM
GT Member

My bad !!!

Originally Posted by mrkabc
I replaced my buzzing Flows under warranty, and the replacement set is still going strong after 18,000 miles.

Not trying to start a flame war here and I am NOT attacking you, but why would you expect them to do anything for you if you have no receipt?

KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS. I think you are being unreasonable in expecting ANY company to do ANYTHING without a receipt. It's all about documentation! Without documentation you have NOTHING.
Oh I agree, should of kept my receipt. I never heard of $450 mufflers going bad or any muffler breaking. Mine busted in 8 months. This is just not my problem. It's alot of people experiencing this. At first I thought the mufflers were rubbing or something. I bet there are tons of people with this same problem that think it's something else is wrong besides a blown baffle. Flowmaster made a terrible product.
Although it's the same design, These mufflers are new for the 05-06 mustang ,as we all know. It is obvious that the machine that is welding the baffles is not doing the job.
I talked to the welder today. He is gonna cut the top of the muffler and weld. I'm going with a camera when he does it. I will post when they are done. kinda excited to see whats actually inside and to see where exactly Flowmaster messed up.
As for the people that don't have problems, all I can say is you will sooner or later. That buzz and rattle will start out small and then sound like your car is falling a part.
I'm trying to make this problem known . I want Flowmaster to take notice and address the problem. If they don't, I don't see how mustang owners could possibly take the chance of spending $400-$450 on exhaust that will fall apart after 8 months or so.
Flowmaster says it can't replace them with out a reciept. HHmmmm. Proof of purchase. jeeze, I sent you the vids. that's my car, and I bought them. Are they more than a year old. Jeez these mufflers just came out about 18 months ago. It's not like I'm trying to replace my flows for my 89 gt. They have made up thier mind and they don't want to take care of the flowmaster owner with out a recipet. THAT"S OK !!! I'll try to fix them my self and if it doesn't work , I'll be more than happy to send them back with a big &%#$ off note.
This will be the last Flowmasters I will ever buy and I suggest anyone that buys flowmaster keep the recipt because you will need it.
No better yet. Just don't buy Flowmasters until they come forward to address fault of thier faulty product and they can prove they corrected the problem.
Sorry for the rant ,but a $450 investment that fell apart. I don't hear of any other brands doing this.
Old 6/27/07, 05:43 PM
GT Member

Every one is having this problem.

I was checking out 3 other mustang foums and I can find a post with this same exact problem in all 3. I'm gonna search more and will have a list of forums that carry the same topic.
Old 6/27/07, 06:14 PM
GT Member

Surgery PICS of factory muffs NOT MINE

I know these are the factory muffs. Just wanted to show how the muffs ae gonna be cut

Quick Reply: Flowmasters Going Under The Knife