GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Flat out lost for words after journey to Tillman

Search this Thread

Old 9/5/08, 04:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flat out lost for words after journey to Tillman

Well I just walked through the door after a 600 mile round trip to Tillmanspeed. My brother(a fellow muscle car head from the GM camp) and I drove down from Mass. to get my ride dyno tuned...When Chris told me what my baby was putting to the ground with just custom tune and C&L CAI with a pre-existing 93 race tune, my bro and I let a "touch-down like WHOOO!!" All I could do is laugh with joy.

I was expecting 285 to 287 rwhp... This mother put down 294.66rwhp and 313.63 rwtq!!! And that was in 91 degree temp. I was out of my mind with joy. Then Chris drops the hammer: He looks at me with this cheesy grin and says, "Wait until you drive it." Well I had 315 miles to put this new found monster though it's paces. On that note, I still, RIGHT NOW don't know what to say. Everything about this car and the throttle response, the numbers, the sweet sound she now makes is DEAD ON incredible. I know you've heard this before but hear this my way. If you do NOTHING else to this car, get a custom tune. You will be selling yourself short of this cars potential. Checkout the dyno postings on thread 306 for my numbers

Totally lost for words with joy... Yeah... I got something to say now; Thank you Chris Rose! Ya did it again kid and made every mile worth it!!!
Old 9/5/08, 07:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Its nice to hear you got what you paid for.
Old 9/5/08, 08:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey dude, aren't CR's tunes insane?!! I still have a smile a mile wide when I go WOT on occasion, and that was done back in Feburary! He is an amazing tuner!! I tell ANYONE to head there, if they want a SICK custom dyno tune!!!
Old 9/5/08, 08:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Yeah the only thing that sucks is he's on the wrong side of the country.................... I still want his tune though, just savin away to get it.
Old 9/5/08, 09:14 PM
Former Vendor

Dude thank you much for the plug! I'm so glad we were able to help you out after your long trip to see us! Let me know if you need anything else or if you have absolutely any other questions at all! It means alot to us that you went way out of the way to come and get tuned! Thanks again!

Chris Rose
Tillman Speed Inc.
www.TillmanSpeed.com
610-497-5776

Last edited by TillmanSpeed; 9/6/08 at 08:55 AM.
Old 9/6/08, 07:35 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chris is the MAN! Glad to hear he hooked you up.
Old 9/6/08, 08:27 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Oh how I wish these guys were closer to me
Old 9/6/08, 12:37 PM
GT Member

CR should open a shop in the PNW you'd get crazy business here. I dont know of any shops here that specialize in mustangs except maybe 1 that didnt have a dyno last time I was thier. I'll be asking for a tune in the next month or so as well.
Old 9/6/08, 01:57 PM
Former Vendor

CR needs capital to pay for overhead! LOL My knowledge of the west coast is like my knowledge of the Greek language... non existent.
Old 9/6/08, 05:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Hey dude, aren't CR's tunes insane?!! I still have a smile a mile wide when I go WOT on occasion, and that was done back in Feburary! He is an amazing tuner!! I tell ANYONE to head there, if they want a SICK custom dyno tune!!!
Man... yes indeed. Insane is the best way to describe this young man's tuning prowess and I'll tell anybody that. I leave for work at 3 a.m. This morning it was nice and cool, to where as when I was being dyno tuned, the temp. was in the low to mid 90's. I get a 2 mile drive to the highway to get the engine up to operating temp. I looped around and got her nice and straight... 05fordgt, I smacked that gas pedal and BOOM!!! "Misty" inhaled that cool air and took off like a SHOTGUN blast! Man, I could not stop laughing the whole 6 mile highway jaunt. I was singing "Shotgun" all the way to work.

When my brother and I got back to Mass. last night, there's a 2mi or so straight stretch on I-395 where no trooper can hide. I jumped on her up to 135 mph and got of out it. Point is, even after a heat soaked 5 hour ride and my 6ft 5in 310 lb. brother on board, she STILL pulled very hard. He was telling everyone at his job today about this tune. Like you said man; INSANE!

Last edited by shwaco1967; 9/6/08 at 05:35 PM.
Old 9/6/08, 05:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
Dude thank you much for the plug! I'm so glad we were able to help you out after your long trip to see us! Let me know if you need anything else or if you have absolutely any other questions at all! It means alot to us that you went way out of the way to come and get tuned! Thanks again!

Chris Rose
Tillman Speed Inc.
www.TillmanSpeed.com
610-497-5776
Hey no sweat at all and thank you again. Oh what to do next...
Old 9/6/08, 07:07 PM
Former Vendor

SAE Correction, too. Thanks again for all of the kind words... you're all some seriously good people too. Jeff, Shawn, Jason, everyone that's come down here is welcome at any time and I hope you know anything you need is taken care of. My customers are friends.

Reference line is set at 13.0 reading POST-catalytic converter, which will bring his actual air fuels down to an optimum 12.7-12.9.

I'm going to go chug a few down with the fiance and try to see how far into Sunday I can sleep! **** 6 day work week.

Chris Rose
Tillman Speed Inc
www.TillmanSpeed.com
610-497-5776

Last edited by TillmanSpeed; 9/6/08 at 07:08 PM.
Old 9/6/08, 07:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by shwaco1967
This mother put down 294.66rwhp and 313.63 rwtq!!!
this new found monster
DEAD ON incredible.
Totally lost for words with joy... !
294 hp, get some!
Old 9/6/08, 11:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Man... yes indeed. Insane is the best way to describe this young man's tuning prowess and I'll tell anybody that. I leave for work at 3 a.m. This morning it was nice and cool, to where as when I was being dyno tuned, the temp. was in the low to mid 90's. I get a 2 mile drive to the highway to get the engine up to operating temp. I looped around and got her nice and straight... 05fordgt, I smacked that gas pedal and BOOM!!! "Misty" inhaled that cool air and took off like a SHOTGUN blast! Man, I could not stop laughing the whole 6 mile highway jaunt. I was singing "Shotgun" all the way to work.

When my brother and I got back to Mass. last night, there's a 2mi or so straight stretch on I-395 where no trooper can hide. I jumped on her up to 135 mph and got of out it. Point is, even after a heat soaked 5 hour ride and my 6ft 5in 310 lb. brother on board, she STILL pulled very hard. He was telling everyone at his job today about this tune. Like you said man; INSANE!
I know EXACTLY what you mean when you stood on it and was blown away! When I got my car tuned by CR, it was Feburary 28th, and it was a bit cold out (probably aroud 40 degrees, at best). Car ran great at the shop, and when I left his lot to head back up I-95, I just tapped the gas, and the back end wanted to slide out (and this was with T/C on, lol!!). So, I head right to work, and tell the owner of the dealership about the tune. Tell him to go for a ride (he eventually does and was shocked)! When I left that night from work, the car was warm (I let it warm up for a good 15 minutes), and I goosed it leaving the lot, turning left. Needless the say, the backend came completely around 45 degrees, countersteer, and shifted to 2nd, spun, and then 3rd, and it finally hooked. Cold tires, and a POWERFUL tune, are not too friendly together, lol ! But what a tune!! POWER TO SPARE!!

Then a few days later, took my 1 friend for a ride up Rt 309 (4 lane highway). Car pulled so hard through all 4 gears! Even my buddy who was riding with me, who has a 2007 GT/CS Vert, was shocked at how much more power the car had! He said it pulled like a vintage big block Mustang! I'll take that compliment ANYDAY!!!
Old 9/6/08, 11:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
SAE Correction, too. Thanks again for all of the kind words... you're all some seriously good people too. Jeff, Shawn, Jason, everyone that's come down here is welcome at any time and I hope you know anything you need is taken care of. My customers are friends.

Reference line is set at 13.0 reading POST-catalytic converter, which will bring his actual air fuels down to an optimum 12.7-12.9.

I'm going to go chug a few down with the fiance and try to see how far into Sunday I can sleep! **** 6 day work week.

Chris Rose
Tillman Speed Inc
www.TillmanSpeed.com
610-497-5776
Hey CR, Thanks for the down-home friendly welcome! Don't you worry, I may be calling you during the winter. Think I want to put the car on the rollers again, and see if we can do something with the Airaid Modular Venturi Tube removed, for more airflow. I was told on "canned tunes" that there isn't a way to dial in the proper program for airflow, but on a dyno with a custom tune, the tuner can write the program to compensate for the extra air coming in with the MVT removed. CR, if you have any insight, please feel free to let me know. I would love to see if we can get some more hp out of the car (even if its only 5 or so). Let me know what you think dude.
Old 9/7/08, 06:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just wondering if you had tried any other type of tunes at at all and, what was the difference?
Old 9/7/08, 08:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by awakeinAZ
Just wondering if you had tried any other type of tunes at at all and, what was the difference?
I did have a canned tune from Doug that was setup for the longtubes! It was pretty good, don't get me wrong, especially for the time I was looking for someone to do a custom dyno tune. Only difference, I didn't have the same "break the tires loose at any minute" feeling in the car, as I do how! I know this may be because it is a canned tune and thats the difference between the mail order style and in-house custom dyno style. Nothing beats a custom dyno tune, as every parameter is set EXACTLY FOR YOUR CAR!!
Old 9/8/08, 10:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

You can't go wrong with CR. He is a very knowledgable and very reputable tuner! His tune is amazing on my car with the whipple. a dyno tune is sooo much better than a canned tune, it really wakes up the rest of the car. a few clicks of the mouse and he put down 480rwhp conservatively on my whipple and I couldn't be happier! just great awesome, whip lashing snappy throttle response. its insane!
Old 9/8/08, 03:07 PM
Bullitt Member

HA! And what blows my mind, is that when I let up off the gas and the fury is over, I say to myself "D***! I was only at half throttle." One of these days, I'm gonna remember to press the pedal ALL THE WAY DOWN!
Old 9/8/08, 03:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

HA! And what blows my mind, is that when I let up off the gas and the fury is over, I say to myself "D***! I was only at half throttle." One of these days, I'm gonna remember to press the pedal ALL THE WAY DOWN!
I do the EXACT SAME THING!! . I am shocked at what half throttle is like. Haven't had the guts to do it on a public road. I will do it down at Cecil County Dragway in November though.

Quick Reply: Flat out lost for words after journey to Tillman