GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

First oil change (what's everyone using?)

Search this Thread

Old 11/10/06, 02:29 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Afraid I have to agree with Hatchman here with regards to the benefits of synthetics. Besides consider the following:

The cheapest oil change I found in my greater metropolitan area is $25.00 with tax out the door (if I go to the dealer its like $50.00).

If I purchase 5 quarts of Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart and the Motorcraft Filter that totals $32.00 with tax.

Yes that is a 28% premium in price, but in many ways its worth it:

Yes I have to do labor too but I like working on my car anyway.
Time-wise I can change the oil in 30 minutes, the **** Jiffy place takes an hour, the dealer takes 2 (if I get there at 7AM sharp on Saturday morning).
The Jiffy place stuck 10-30 in my Durango once (it takes 5-20) so they can't be trusted (and they use some funky off brand stuff).

So for me, I get Grade A+ product for 28% more cost of the C (at best) product and save time.

No brainer....though the wife now is annoyed I spend that time on the car and doesn't get the logic lined out above, oh well.
Old 11/11/06, 07:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ucdavisboy
Afraid I have to agree with Hatchman here with regards to the benefits of synthetics. Besides consider the following:

The cheapest oil change I found in my greater metropolitan area is $25.00 with tax out the door (if I go to the dealer its like $50.00).

If I purchase 5 quarts of Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart and the Motorcraft Filter that totals $32.00 with tax.

Yes that is a 28% premium in price, but in many ways its worth it:

Yes I have to do labor too but I like working on my car anyway.
Time-wise I can change the oil in 30 minutes, the **** Jiffy place takes an hour, the dealer takes 2 (if I get there at 7AM sharp on Saturday morning).
The Jiffy place stuck 10-30 in my Durango once (it takes 5-20) so they can't be trusted (and they use some funky off brand stuff).

So for me, I get Grade A+ product for 28% more cost of the C (at best) product and save time.

No brainer....though the wife now is annoyed I spend that time on the car and doesn't get the logic lined out above, oh well.
Don't mean to be picky, but you actually need 6 quarts.

Oops, I just noticed you have a 2004... oh well, this is an '05-up forum, so the rest of us need 6 quarts.

Still, I agree with everything else you said, and have changed my own oil with Mobil 1 every 3000 miles starting at the 3000 mile mark. At 1500 miles I changed it with the recommended Ford Motorcraft premium synthetic blend, just out of superstitiion. :-) I'm sure it's safe to go with Mobil 1 right away, however, seeing how many of the top performance cars in the world (Porsche, Corvette, Mercedes, Viper, etc.) come from the factory with Mobil 1.