GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

First oil change - Amsoil

Search this Thread

Old 12/18/07, 06:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
Good luck trying to prove that the oil didn't cause whatever engine failure that occured. Ford dealerships generally don't acknowledge Amsoil as being better than Motorcraft 5W-20.

As for the oil tests, or used oil analysis, they will cost upwards of $20 or more and require good sampling techniques or else you contaminate the sample. Most people won't bother to do that and I don't blame them. Just change the oil regularly and the engine will last a long time.

Oil is a maintenance/throw-away item, while blenders and computers are items you do not throw away unless they are damaged/broken. You are comparing apples to oranges.
The dealership will do a oil analysis if you ever bring it in for a blown engine warranty. They will have to prove your oil caused the problem.
I am not sure but I believe ford states to change the oil at 5k their oil.

Yes the test costs money but it will prove your oil is still doing a great job .... even at 6 or 7k miles. You really only have to have it tested once to know it is still working well and will still work well for another 3 or 4k miles. Mobil one and amsoil have done their own testing and will stand behind their product.

I think I have seen a few members have had the test done.

I am comparing items that are still working well that you would not throw away to oil that is still workin well that you are throwing away.

Its a waste and drives the cost up of our oil changes.
Old 12/18/07, 06:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
Good luck trying to prove that the oil didn't cause whatever engine failure that occured. Ford dealerships generally don't acknowledge Amsoil as being better than Motorcraft 5W-20.

As for the oil tests, or used oil analysis, they will cost upwards of $20 or more and require good sampling techniques or else you contaminate the sample. Most people won't bother to do that and I don't blame them. Just change the oil regularly and the engine will last a long time.

Oil is a maintenance/throw-away item, while blenders and computers are items you do not throw away unless they are damaged/broken. You are comparing apples to oranges.

I for one agree with Charlie. As far as you other guys that want to run you oil until it looks like the "black gold" that Jed Clampet found back in the 70's. I won't be buying you used Mustang. And regardless of the miles you have on your oil change there is only one reason for oil being dark in color. Dirt!!!
Scott
Old 12/18/07, 07:24 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Glenn
I just don't understand. No one throws their tires away when they are half wore out or their computer or their blender or their frying pan or lightbulbs or watch or a half gallon of milk, shoes, brake pads, or any thing else that is half wore out. So why do some throw perfectly good oil away? If your going to do 3k 4k or even close to 5k mile oil changes just use reg oil.
Waste I tell you waste.
I posted this a while back but thought of it when I read this thread.
Gee Glenn, if your so worried about waste, Drive one of those cute little Toyota's that get 60 MPG and change your oil every 50,000 miles......
Old 12/18/07, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should check your oil regularly anyway. If you see the oil starting to get dark regardless of mileage interval it needs to be changed. Depending on the mileage you either have an engine issue, oil issue, or filter issue. You would have an issue.

All I can tell you is that the car runs better with the new syn oil. I am happy with the product so far. Yes there is always a cheaper way to do the change, but I don't feel I got ripped off. I will most likely change my own oil next time as it is more rewarding to it yourself.
Old 12/19/07, 08:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

now were talking lol.
Old 12/19/07, 02:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

When i changed my oil last 2 times at 7,500 miles it was not dark black. I would say it was just a touch darker in color than maple syrup. Hardly black by my thinking. I checked it around 5,000 and on the dipstick it still looked remarkably clean...only a few shades darker than when it went into the engine.
Old 12/19/07, 06:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I believe that especially in these newer engines.
Just because oil looks dirty does not mean it is all used up. It does mean its working.
I do think if is totally black in these newer engines its been to long since your last oil change.
Old 12/20/07, 10:14 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
And regardless of the miles you have on your oil change there is only one reason for oil being dark in color. Dirt!!!
Scott
Don't get a diesel then. You will be changing your oil every five minutes or so.

Oil gets dark because of carbon. Calling it "dirt" is a bit misleading. Carbon is actually a pretty good lubricant in it's own right. Look at all thoe graphite (aka: carbon) dry lubes you can buy.

The real question that matters is how large are any particles? Are they big enough to be trapped between moving parts and scratch them? The fine carbon particles are so small that they pretty much can't scrath anything. Hopefully, your filter is good enough at filtering out the large particles that CAN scratch things so that you won't have those issues. In general, oil wearing out has more to do with the additives than with "dirt".

One nice thing about high grade syntetic oil is that it is slipperier than dino oil. This DOES reduce the wear and tear inside your engine, which directly reduces the amount of large particles clogging your oil filter. Which generally leads to longer usefull life between oil changes.

But anyway, there is plenty of facts out there (as well as plenty of misleading FUD) so the average person can do some research and come to their own conclusions. Most people have alread made up their own mind one way or the other and these types of threads won't change anyone opinion one way or the other.
Old 12/20/07, 11:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

I agree 100% with you RRRoamer. Black oil is not worn out just because it is black. Additive depletion is the #1 cause of an oil being worn out, and that has nothing to do with color of the oil.
Old 12/20/07, 12:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RRRoamer
Don't get a diesel then. You will be changing your oil every five minutes or so.

Oil gets dark because of carbon. Calling it "dirt" is a bit misleading. Carbon is actually a pretty good lubricant in it's own right. Look at all thoe graphite (aka: carbon) dry lubes you can buy.

The real question that matters is how large are any particles? Are they big enough to be trapped between moving parts and scratch them? The fine carbon particles are so small that they pretty much can't scrath anything. Hopefully, your filter is good enough at filtering out the large particles that CAN scratch things so that you won't have those issues. In general, oil wearing out has more to do with the additives than with "dirt".

One nice thing about high grade syntetic oil is that it is slipperier than dino oil. This DOES reduce the wear and tear inside your engine, which directly reduces the amount of large particles clogging your oil filter. Which generally leads to longer usefull life between oil changes.

But anyway, there is plenty of facts out there (as well as plenty of misleading FUD) so the average person can do some research and come to their own conclusions. Most people have alread made up their own mind one way or the other and these types of threads won't change anyone opinion one way or the other.

Hey Clint,
What you are saying is technically correct. I used the word "dirt" in a general sense. I would also like to add that in addition to the carbon, the oil is also being polluted with unburnt fuel that passes by the rings in small amounts. This changes the chemical balance of the oil in the crankcase. Makes it acidic (I think). And there is still only one way to remove all of this nasty stuff and that is with frequent oil changes. And you are right about something else. Most of us have already made up our minds and I have posted my view. P.S. I also have 3 diesel tractors and that is the nastiest stuff I've every seen.
Scott
Old 12/20/07, 01:04 PM
Cobra Member

Waiting 5000k or 3000 miles for an oil change is not excessively high. The price of the oil change is a bit much though. I use Quaker State High RPM Oil with a Ford Oil Filter and have the oil and filter changed at the Lubex chain in Edmonton for $44.95. I usually change my oil every 2500k and then again prior to storing the mustang and the first trip out of storage is to Lubex to change out the oil that has been sitting in the engine all winter.
Old 12/20/07, 05:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I was just running up my post count
Old 12/20/07, 08:07 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by RRRoamer

One nice thing about high grade synthetic oil is that it is slipperier than dino oil. This DOES reduce the wear and tear inside your engine, which directly reduces the amount of large particles clogging your oil filter. Which generally leads to longer usefull life between oil changes.

Particulates in suspension as in dirt and or carbon and particulate size are all factors that may or may not affect the lubricating factor in abstract, But two things some seem to be missing in their arguments for use of particulated oil synthetic or other wise are the effects it has on viscosity and heat retention!