GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

First impressions of new Steeda suspension.

Search this Thread

Old 12/2/08, 08:54 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 07 GT/CS
Another suggestion I would make for Gus and all vendors is to provide better pictures and descriptions for your products. I comparison shop quite a bit and I like to see multiple views and close-ups of each item so I can compare it to the same item from another vendor. Gus, you mention the advantages of your front sway bar, but this isn't clearly defined in the product description on the website. It simply states that the ends are patented. This isn't going to be enough to convince a buyer to pay the extra money. I don't mind spending a bit more to get much better quality but I need to be convinced that I am getting my money's worth.
Here are quotes from the website.
Steeda's 1 3/8 inch diameter swaybar is a direct bolt on

This bar features 3 adjustment positions for fine tuning of handling balance. Provides a 10% to 85% increase in roll stiffness depending on the size of your O.E. front swaybar.

Looking for the ultimate handling combination? Use this swaybar with Steeda's 555-1054 rear swaybar for competition level handling for your street driven Mustang!

V6 models come with a 28mm front swaybar for an 85% increase in roll stiffness. V8 GT and GT500 models are equipped with a 34mm front swaybar for a 10% increase in roll stiffness.

Note: Steeda's swaybar ends are patented!

Now I did explain in this post the design of the ends, which is what we got them patented for. There is also a picture of the product with an enlarge picture link on the webpage, which almost all our products have the ability to enlarge the picture, plus every page has a link at the bottom for the ridiculously large high res picture if you really want to see that. Hopefully you are not on dial up for that one

Now as far as the benefits we do provide them as well as specific information on O.E. swaybar sizes and the resulting increases over stock. Something I have not seen others providing. So what you are saying is you prefer a complete technical breakdown on the product for your purchasing decision? If so that is interesting feedback, as you know most manufacturers wont get that specific on their products simply because competition can use that information. Some information is just considered too sensitive, and you are seeing that everywhere nowadays not just our industry. But this is the kind of feedback I was looking for an appreciate you posting it!
Old 12/2/08, 09:43 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by shaun_beauchamp
I did my suspension in 2006. I hunted everywhere for info and found it minimal and limited to marketing facts.
Yes, information is limited. For reasons I explained in my previous post.

means nothing without numbers. If a swaybar is 10% stronger than stock, it doesn't tell us anything. What if the stock bar preload is 1 lb? Then the difference is completely marginal. Give us some data we can use.
That is why we mention the sizes of the O.E. bars, which I have not seen anyone else do in their product info. Particularly vendors advertising Eibach, which some give the Eibach sizing but nothing else to compare them to.

Poly bushings squeek like a *****. Put some **** zerk fittings on the ends and give us a tube of silicone grease and a mini-gun with the kit.
This is a great subject actually. In the decade I have been here for the majority of the time we did not provide zerk fittings. We had almost ZERO issues with bushings splitting or failing. After this same customer feedback we decided to add zerk fittings to our arms. In an 2 year period our bushing warranty claims went through the roof. It seems people think more is better and would grease the bushings to the point they push them out and split. We have since eliminated zerk fittings again from our arms and by no coincidence, our bushing problems disappeared as well.

Also, a properly lubed bushing face will not squeak. I've owned 4 Mustangs from fox bodies to the current generation all with poly bushings and not 1 of them squeaked. I can't speak for other companies but we pre-grease ours inside at the time of assembly. After that the installer just needs to grease the bushing faces upon install and all will be ok.

Ford cries about "torque-to-yield" one-time bolts. How come nobody includes bolts in their kits?
This is more Ford covering liability than anything else. At some point someone had an accident after replacing a factory suspension component, sued Ford, and the rest is history. Every manufacturer knows this. You can reuse the bolts one time. More than once we do recommend replacement.

Shocks and Struts are never published with rates or values.
You are right, and likely they never will be. For reasons I stated previously about manufacturers guarding their information.

Tire Rack has a great rating system for tires. They use color and number to give values to several different performance characteristics. Wouldn't a chart system like that for springs, shocks, and strut combos be great for a consumer to make an educated purchase regarding ride and handling trade-offs?
I personally dont find their system totally useful as some of the ratings are subjective. Particularly when it comes to road noise. I have bought tires that were rated by them as quiet yet they howled like a banshee. We prefer to try and talk about direct benefits without subjective ratings.

I do appreciate your feedback as well. Not often do we get this kind of feedback directly from customers. I think that is what makes this forum so great.

My car is "done" and I run some Steeda, some CHE parts. I would have done all Steeda, but at the time of purchase I wasn't getting questions answered. I bought CHE based on a friend's recommendation and excellent customer service support over at CHE. My car is harsh, has tons of NVH (noise, vibration, harshness), but can out handle most S197s. I have minimal suspension mods, but the BEST thing is the Steed Competition Springs (bought from a TMS sponser - Thanks Marcello). I did the Eibach camber bolts and the thing doesn't eat tires and corners amazingly. You need the LCAs for hard launches and I did the Panhard Rod and K-member brace w/torque limiters for good measure. Been 14K miles now and everything is still tight and rattle free. I do bi-annual torque checks and lubrications to ensure proper performance and longevity.
Sounds like you got a fun ride that you are proud of and take good care of. Keep it up
Old 12/3/08, 01:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New model tires are NOT always an improvement

Just a point of interest:
New model tires are NOT always an improvement.

Take the original Goodyear Aquatred, I ran them on a 1994 SHO, they were OUTSTANDING. They provided excellent wet traction, dry traction and long treadwear. I got over 80,000 miles out of them. They were way too good, and short lived because of that. the Goodyear Aquatred II's didn't hold a candle to the originals.

Originally Posted by sound wave
well, it is my understanding that the kdw 2 have replaced the kdw, so i would guess that there must be improvements on the newer model.
Old 12/3/08, 01:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Gus,

I am proud of my vehicle, and I'm sure others are as well. What I do find is that there is good information out there, but hidden in pages of adds and such. I spend a lot of time extracting little nuggets from the internet, magazines, communcation with clubs, etc. The difference is I have ONE car and I DO NOT sell these parts. Once I am happy I am willing to break away from the research. If someone asks me what I "think", I can only be honest with them.

Steeda no doubt has done homework to get the components correct for the S197. The parts are robust, install easily, and provide the best possible performance. I'm an engineer myself an can value the amount of math and testing required to "get it right". Now having said that, not everyone is an engineer. I think Steeda owes it to itself to put together a cohesive piece on Mustang suspension and publish it to the general public. Sure you will have "me too" companies out there trying to "steal" your information, but hell, they can buy your parts and get the info much faster.

Reverse engineering is a problem the world has to endure. Poor publication of your product and minimal amounts of pertinent information is not going to hurt your competition. It's all about educating your client and making them your partner in a process of continuous improvement. We all want "the best", we just need to justify the dollars and cents.

As I stated before, I'm happy with my setup. My cost of ownership is relatively low as I did what I needed to get the effect I wanted. My car is by no means a track car. My car is great on the road and fun to drive. I believe everyone can benefit from a little suspension upgrade, just hesitant due to lack of truly educational materials and a market full of self proclaimed "bests".
Old 12/3/08, 02:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SteedaGus, I appreciate that Steeda's website is probably the most comprehensive of any site that I have been on. You do provide lots of information, but as Shaun said, sometimes you have to dig a bit to get it. When I mention good pictures, I also mean multiple angles. Sometimes a good close up with only one angle doesn't reveal all the good or bad qualities of the product. I also like to see good pictures of the product installed on a car to see what it is going to look like, and to help with installation. There are some sites like BMR and CHE that have good large close up pictures of the product separate and installed. I would like to see nearly every product shown this way. You also quoted your information about the sway bars in your response. This illustrates exactly what I am talking about. Below are quotes of the various companies providing descriptions of their sway bars. You can see that just about every company gives the dimensions of their bars. Each company describes the materials used and claims theirs is the better way to go, i.e. hot or cold formed, chrome moly or spring steel, etc. All of the sway bars offered have three settings for the front so this is not unique. As a consumer, when I read all of these and see how similar they are, but also see differences, it is tough to try and figure out which companies claims are accurate and which are just marketing hype. Sometimes then it just comes down to reputation on forums such as these and price.

Steeda:
Steeda's 1 3/8 inch diameter swaybar is a direct bolt on
This bar features 3 adjustment positions for fine tuning of handling balance. Provides a 10% to 85% increase in roll stiffness depending on the size of your O.E. front swaybar.
Looking for the ultimate handling combination? Use this swaybar with Steeda's 555-1054 rear swaybar for competition level handling for your street driven Mustang!
V6 models come with a 28mm front swaybar for an 85% increase in roll stiffness. V8 GT and GT500 models are equipped with a 34mm front swaybar for a 10% increase in roll stiffness.
Note: Steeda's swaybar ends are patented!

CHE (Eibach):
Eibach Anti-Roll-Kits reduce body roll through increased design stiffness over stock bars. The result: increased handling and cornering grip in any performance-driving situation.
Fits 2005-Current V8 & V6 Mustang, Coupe & Convertible
  • 35mm Front Diameter, 24mm Rear
  • Manufactured from cold-formed, high-strength aircraft-grade steel for precision performance, and finished with a long-lasting red powder coat finish
  • Anti-Roll-Kit comes complete with all necessary mounting hardware and instructions for easy installation
  • Performance Tuned Handling
  • Further Reduce Body Roll
  • Precision Engineered for Pro-Kit & Sportline
  • Million Mile Warranty
  • Front & Rear Anti-Roll Bar
BMR:
BMR sway-bars decrease body roll in your 2005+ Mustang resulting in a more predictable, neutrally balanced suspension. Our sway-bars are made from high quality, cold formed aircraft spec tubing which allows the bar to resist torsional fatigue much better than hot formed bars. Front swaybar is a lightweight, hollow 1-3/8" bar while the rear is solid 7/8". All necessary bushings and hardware included. Available in Black Hammertone or red powdercoat. NOTE: BMR rear swaybars are not compatible with convertible models unless the additional OE convertible bracing is removed.

Spohn:
This front sway bar is constructed of 1-3/8" solid 4140 chrome moly. This rear sway bar is constructed of 1" solid 4140 chrome moly. Our bar stock is 4140 chrome moly heat treated spring grade steel. The bar is entirely heat formed and coined as one piece. We put our bar through this extensive process to insure that the final product will be the strongest, most durable bar on the market, and that it will be the most resistant to form alteration.Most aftermarket anti-sway bars are cold-bent, making them weaker at the bends, and more vulnerable to shape alteration.

H&R (Stang Suspension):
H&R Sway Bars are the perfect compliment to H&R Springs or Coil-Overs. Designed to reduce body roll, increase lateral stiffness and improve handling, H&R Sway Bars are crafted from a special 50CrV4 spring steel that is both stronger and more resilient than some other sway bars. H&R Sway Bars are bent on proprietary machines designed by H&R that seamlessly produce beautiful complex curves making H&R Sway Bars a perfect fit for your vehicle.
All H&R Sway Bar kits have been shot peened and heat treated, and feature precision forged ends - many applications have multiple end link mounting points for adjustability. Also included are H&R exclusive bushings made from a Urethane / Teflon composite that eliminates squeaks, and don't require lubrication. Ever. That means no mess, no maintenance-just bolt in H&R Sway Bars and go!Like all H&R components, H&R Sway Bars are 100% made in Germany, and are powder coated for long lasting good looks and durability on the street and track.
Front swaybar thickness is 36mm. Rear swaybar thickness is 26mm.
Old 12/19/08, 09:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UPDATE: On my install anyway. Took the Mustang over finally to my favorite shop to have them check the camber/caster, rear axle alignment (side to side) and pinion angle after installing the Steeda Ultralites, Steeda ProAction struts, Steeda HD upper strut mounts, J&M LCA's, and CHE anti-squat brackets, extreme adjustable panhard bar and brace. When I installed the front, I put the Steeda HD strut mount in the exact middle. I figured this would be as close to the previous stock mount setting. The Steeda HD strut mount gives you a degree of play each way. When I did the rear CHE panhard bar, I set it at the exact same length as the stock bar before install. The anti-squat brackets only have one lower setting. To my pleasant suprise, the camber was nearly dead on, the pinion angle was perfect, and the rear end was sitting perfectly centered. I could have checked the pinion angle my self as I have an angle finder but heck, it was going to be up on the rack anyway. Good news though that I wasn't wearing my tires out in the few weeks since the install.