GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Final exhaust though...please throw your two cents in!

Search this Thread

Old 3/17/08, 09:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Final exhaust though...please throw your two cents in!

Ok, so I've narrowed my choices down and would like some final ideas and suggestions.

I'm looking for low, deep and rumbly. I want it louder, but not loud enough to get a note on my garage from my neighbors I also don't want much drone as I have highway driving and my car is an auto. I also don't care for that popping sound but I know there isn't much to avoid that and it only happens a lot at a cold start.

My choices I've come down to are:

1. Flowmaster AT axle back
2. FRPP GTA's
3. Hooker Aerochamber

Now I also though about this option too, getting a couple 18" bullet mufflers (Magnapacks) and having them welded in mid-pipe with deletes for the ends but I imagine this is going to be quite loud and I worry if a mod like that will void the warranty opposed to axle-backs. I can't really go with an off road H and would rather just keep it simpler anyhow.

I have a couple questions, can anyone give an idea of the loudness of these systems, like which is louder then other.

If you have other suggestions please do, but keep in mind what I'm looking for, for instance I'm sure Macs sound great, but drone like hive of bees.

Thanks so much for your ideas and help!!
Old 3/17/08, 09:30 AM
Bullitt Member

FRPP GTA's, price, sound and good looks. Get thumbs up all the time

WE LOVE ours to death, can't beat them. FYI we are a auto also............
Old 3/17/08, 09:32 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the FRPP's and I don't get any popping sounds. They have a deep, low tone to them. Rumbly? Not so much unless you are going to be doing a lot more than just axle backs. Drone, I don't care what anyone says, you are going to have drone no matter what you do. I have had 4 different exhaust systems on my car (incl stock) and they all have drone. I had Magnaflows and Magnapaks. They were not "loud" enough for me. FRPP's sound great but if you are worried about your neighbours, well, I am sure you won't make someone happy. When I put my car away my neighbour commented that he was late for work. I asked why and he said "We use your car as our alarm clock. When you start your car in the morning it wakes us up so we know it is time to get ready for work." The neighbour across the street mentioned that his wife doesn't like it much as it wakes the kids up in the morning since my exhaust is pointed directly at his house.
Old 3/17/08, 09:40 AM
Bullitt Member

UM NO! GTA's do not drone period or annoy the neighbors. They are RENTAL CAR mufflers, so they HAD to be perfect from day one.
Old 3/17/08, 11:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by adrenalin
I have the FRPP's and I don't get any popping sounds. They have a deep, low tone to them. Rumbly? Not so much unless you are going to be doing a lot more than just axle backs. Drone, I don't care what anyone says, you are going to have drone no matter what you do. I have had 4 different exhaust systems on my car (incl stock) and they all have drone. I had Magnaflows and Magnapaks. They were not "loud" enough for me. FRPP's sound great but if you are worried about your neighbours, well, I am sure you won't make someone happy. When I put my car away my neighbour commented that he was late for work. I asked why and he said "We use your car as our alarm clock. When you start your car in the morning it wakes us up so we know it is time to get ready for work." The neighbour across the street mentioned that his wife doesn't like it much as it wakes the kids up in the morning since my exhaust is pointed directly at his house.
Are you talking about the GTs aka Stingers, or the GTAs which are on the Shelby GTs and GT-Hs, those are the ones I'm asking about.
Old 3/17/08, 11:56 AM
Former Vendor

GTA's hands down.
Old 3/17/08, 12:02 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Sorry, to clarify I am talking about the FRPP (Borla tube style) mufflers, not the GTA's..... I didn't realize the GTA's were that much different until now. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by adrenalin; 3/17/08 at 12:04 PM.
Old 3/17/08, 12:22 PM
Bullitt Member

How much louder are the GTA's I've seen about every youtube video on them but sometimes they only seem slightly louder then stock. I want to be heard just not from a mile away! There is this guy in our area that has a v-6 pickup and it so loud and annoying that it drones in our house when he drives by, I don't know how he can drive the thing
Old 3/17/08, 12:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by adrenalin
Sorry, to clarify I am talking about the FRPP (Borla tube style) mufflers, not the GTA's..... I didn't realize the GTA's were that much different until now. Sorry for the confusion.
Hey no prob, you got one of the best looking cars I've seen!
Old 3/17/08, 01:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My experience has been they are not much louder than stock for "normal" driving. If you get on it - then they come to life a bit more. Some folks feel that they get a bit louder with 500-1000 miles on them.

Originally Posted by Starfire
How much louder are the GTA's I've seen about every youtube video on them but sometimes they only seem slightly louder then stock. I want to be heard just not from a mile away! There is this guy in our area that has a v-6 pickup and it so loud and annoying that it drones in our house when he drives by, I don't know how he can drive the thing
Old 3/17/08, 02:16 PM
Bullitt Member

I wish someone would make a chambered exhaust that would fit in the mid pipe, but don't know if it's possible.
Old 3/17/08, 02:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i will vote for flowmaster...

deep and grumbly and loud.

i have had them on 3 cars and i love the way they sound.... but i have also heard some bad rumors about them on our s-197's
Old 3/17/08, 03:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by n8rfastback
i will vote for flowmaster...

deep and grumbly and loud.

i have had them on 3 cars and i love the way they sound.... but i have also heard some bad rumors about them on our s-197's
Ditto! I just put some Flowmasters on my Mustang this weekend. They sound great!
Old 3/17/08, 04:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

I say get the FRPP (Borla) mufflers. I love my Stingers since the 1st day the car came in and I had them put on. The sound is exactly what you listed as what you wanted. Though, they really came alive with longtubes, lol!! Get the FRPP's, you won't be sorry!
Old 3/17/08, 04:31 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The gta's will barely be louded than stock. I have been through four muflers and now i have the pypes mid muffler system and IMO it is the nicest sounding exhaust for our cars. To me they are not that loud but to some they are loud. It all matters how loud you want it and what your def of loud is... The gta's sound good but they are way too mellow for my taste... Thats just me though
Old 3/17/08, 04:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

yea the pypes mid muffs are definately right on the border for too loud/not too loud....

i have em and love em. with long tubes at wot they definately will get some attention, and respect!!!
Old 3/17/08, 04:53 PM
Bullitt Member

First thing is this, don't listen to the manual cars that posted. What works for a stick WILL NOT work for a auto. Auto cars drone from the factory.
Second, GTA"s are WAY louder then stock and 100% legal in all 50 states...............

From the guy who has a AUTO and 4 set of muffs installed to date
Old 3/17/08, 05:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by YardSpecial
Second, GTA"s are WAY louder then stock and 100% legal in all 50 states...............
I've heard the GTA's on two mustangs, and I didn't think they were that much louder than stock. Good sound, look good, mellow, little deeper than stock, and wake up more than stock when you get on them, but I wouldn't consider them WAY louder than stock.

Now, the FRPP/Borla Stingers are WAY louder than stock, in my opinion, and will definitely wake up the neigbors and you can hear them coming down the street (I've had a pair). Also tended to drone a bit more, but they were on an automatic.

FYI, the JBA's are in there with the GTA's, mellow, deeper than stock, but not as loud as some might want. I know every once in a while, I wish my JBA's were a little louder.
Old 3/17/08, 06:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Again more bad info.......JBA drone like made with a AUTO with GEY tips..........

Have a set gathering dust in the attic
Old 3/17/08, 06:35 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by YardSpecial
First thing is this, don't listen to the manual cars that posted. What works for a stick WILL NOT work for a auto. Auto cars drone from the factory.

From the guy who has a AUTO and 4 set of muffs installed to date

WAY louder than stock

Quick Reply: Final exhaust though...please throw your two cents in!