GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

A few issues with new springs

Search this Thread

Old 8/21/07, 03:52 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few issues with new springs

I installed Steeda Ultralites on my '06 GT this past weekend...haven't had a chance to really test in corners and such but i'm sure it's much better than before. Can has a better stance and my wheel well gap is less pronounced now.

However...

One thing i noticed over the last few days is that when i go over speed bumps (especially at VERY low speeds) the car tends to bounce a lot until it settles. On a few of them it feels like the car bottoms out (i'm sure that's not the case) but it's definitely hitting something. It's kinda weird, right after i get over the speed bump the front of the car dips down and back up much faster than before (perhaps normal for progressive spring) but then it bounces/oscilates a few more times until it settles.

I wasn't expecting this pronounced of a problem with Ultralites. Can someone lend (ok, "give" some advice, 'cause i'm not giving it back!) some advice on what could be going on? Do i really have to upgrade the shocks/struts too?!?!? (was kinda hoping to avoid this, at least for now) If so, what brand and type? Best price?

Thanks for all the tips...
Old 8/21/07, 04:48 PM
Cobra Member

It sounds like your struts might be bottoming out. Might also be the bump stops. Did you trim yours at all? Depending on the amount of drop that's often required as well. Tokico D-Specs seem to be the brand of choice on this forum. I've had good luck with mine thus far.
Old 8/21/07, 05:06 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RobK
It sounds like your struts might be bottoming out. Might also be the bump stops. Did you trim yours at all? Depending on the amount of drop that's often required as well. Tokico D-Specs seem to be the brand of choice on this forum. I've had good luck with mine thus far.
Tell me more about trimming the bump stops...buddy who helped me install these told me i may have to do that. Do i literally just trim? using what? or do i replace them? What's the best price i can get the Tokico's for? What about the HPs (Tokicos)...junk? do i NEED the adjustable ones?
Old 8/21/07, 07:33 PM
GT Member

I had the same problem when I put the Steeda Ultralites on too. I should have took the advice of others that have lowered rides (replace the shocks and struts when doing the springs).

You don't need the adjustable Tokico D-Specs but they are a good choice. I have the Steeda Pro Action Shocks & Struts and I am very happy with them. They don't cost as much as the D-Specs and they are not adjustable. I put them on about 2 months after driving it with the stock ones and the ride is so much better with them (not so bouncy).
Old 8/21/07, 08:52 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Anonimac
Tell me more about trimming the bump stops...buddy who helped me install these told me i may have to do that. Do i literally just trim? using what? or do i replace them? What's the best price i can get the Tokico's for? What about the HPs (Tokicos)...junk? do i NEED the adjustable ones?
You literally cut some material off of the bump stops. With my H&Rs (2" drop) I want to say I had to cut 1/2". I simply stuck a dowel in the bumpstop, stuck it in a vice and used a fine-toothed hacksaw to make a clean/square cut. I paid around $600 for my D-Specs. You don't have to go with adjustables, but I like the flexibility. Most folks find a setting and never touch it again. My mood changes pretty frequently so I can adjust the car to suit me.
Old 8/21/07, 09:09 PM
GT Member

Thoughts on HPs from Tokico? If the adjustable is so much better i guess i'll get those, but i'd at least like to get a good deal on them. Where is the absolute rock bottom price that you guys have seen?
Old 8/21/07, 11:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Here's a picture of my rear bump stop... you can cut them off with a good sharp hacksaw blade without removing them from the axle... but it isn't that difficult to remove them.

As for shocks and struts, I have the FRPP Stg 3 kit, cost me $349.95 + $30.50 shipping from livernoismotorsports.com and they work very well on the car. Any good performance shock designed for lowered cars will make a lot of difference in ride quality. Steeda, Koni, Tokico, KW, etc. all make top quality dampers in both non-adjustable and adjustable. If you are not going to participate in some type of performance activity, it probably wouldn't be worth it to pay the extra for the adjustable type.

Bobby M.
Attached Thumbnails A few issues with new springs-p1040315.jpg  
Old 8/22/07, 12:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MooStang05gt
Here's a picture of my rear bump stop... you can cut them off with a good sharp hacksaw blade without removing them from the axle... but it isn't that difficult to remove them.

As for shocks and struts, I have the FRPP Stg 3 kit, cost me $349.95 + $30.50 shipping from livernoismotorsports.com and they work very well on the car. Any good performance shock designed for lowered cars will make a lot of difference in ride quality. Steeda, Koni, Tokico, KW, etc. all make top quality dampers in both non-adjustable and adjustable. If you are not going to participate in some type of performance activity, it probably wouldn't be worth it to pay the extra for the adjustable type.

Bobby M.
Dang, you have practically no bumpstop left at all. Are you sure the shock won't bottom out with so little stop left?
Old 8/22/07, 06:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
no need to cut the bump stops with the ultra light springs.
How many miles are on your car right now?
Old 8/22/07, 08:37 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
no need to cut the bump stops with the ultra light springs.
How many miles are on your car right now?
I crossed 11,000 this past weekend and the only reason i would cut the bump stops is because the front of the car seems to hit them when going over speed bumps at very normal (even very low speed).
Old 8/22/07, 09:08 AM
GT Member

I don't intend to ever take my car to the track so i'm just trying to correct this issue since adding the Ultralites...can someone recommend a brand and type of shock/strut? Would there be any benefit of going with the steeda ones since the Ultralites are Steeda? Anyone have experience with these? If i really would benefit from the Tokico adjustable ones i'll buy it, but if it's overkill for what i need and i could save a few hundred bucks towards another mod i'd prefer to do that...
Old 8/22/07, 12:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't intend to ever take my car to the track so i'm just trying to correct this issue since adding the Ultralites...can someone recommend a brand and type of shock/strut? Would there be any benefit of going with the steeda ones since the Ultralites are Steeda? Anyone have experience with these? If i really would benefit from the Tokico adjustable ones i'll buy it, but if it's overkill for what i need and i could save a few hundred bucks towards another mod i'd prefer to do that...
I find no fault with the FRPP Stg 3's that I mentioned above, they provide a good ride quality and keep the tires on the ground and the price is definately good.

The Steeda Ultralites are very simular to the FRPP Lowering Springs, maybe just a bit softer, I have heard that the FRPP springs are bought from Steeda. Don't know that for sure. When I bought Ford Racing spring for my SN95, I was of the impression that they were Eibach manufactured springs.

Regardless of what brand you purchase, a non-adjustable should serve you very well.

Bobby M.
Old 8/22/07, 01:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I agree I am either going with the saleen or the tokico. If I had the cash I would go with the bilstiens. Non adjustable
Old 8/22/07, 01:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=69965

don't know if you've seen this thread.
Old 8/25/07, 09:38 PM
Bullitt Member

My Tokico D Specs were $503 /free shipping. I run around town on setting 2 for Cadillac ride(kinda) 5 for twisties or road trip.7 for Banzai blasting
WWW.StangSuspension.com 877-272-5670
add the rear remote adjuster(well worth it) $28.45
Old 8/26/07, 03:53 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by itsmetoo
I had the same problem when I put the Steeda Ultralites on too. I should have took the advice of others that have lowered rides (replace the shocks and struts when doing the springs).

You don't need the adjustable Tokico D-Specs but they are a good choice. I have the Steeda Pro Action Shocks & Struts and I am very happy with them. They don't cost as much as the D-Specs and they are not adjustable. I put them on about 2 months after driving it with the stock ones and the ride is so much better with them (not so bouncy).
+1...
Old 8/27/07, 08:11 AM
GT Member

OK...Tokico D-Spec it is...but now educate me on this Remote Adjuster thing...isn't it only for the rear? to get around the trunk liner? Is that it??? Not that 28 dollars is a significant amount of money, but peeling away the liner isn't significant either, correct me if i'm wrong? Now, being able to adjust from inside the car, that i'd be willing to pay for, any options for that around?
Old 8/29/07, 12:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 07 HOSS Mustang
My Tokico D Specs were $503 /free shipping. I run around town on setting 2 for Cadillac ride(kinda) 5 for twisties or road trip.7 for Banzai blasting
WWW.StangSuspension.com 877-272-5670
add the rear remote adjuster(well worth it) $28.45
That is odd. The D-Specs adjust with full hard as the reference point, ie. zero. Therefore the higher the number of counterclockwise turns from 0 the softer the damping.
Old 8/30/07, 03:54 AM
whs
GT Member

OK...Tokico D-Spec it is...but now educate me on this Remote Adjuster thing...isn't it only for the rear? to get around the trunk liner? Is that it??? Not that 28 dollars is a significant amount of money, but peeling away the liner isn't significant either, correct me if i'm wrong? Now, being able to adjust from inside the car, that i'd be willing to pay for, any options for that around?
I'm running the same setup, cut a hole in the fender liner for the adjuster to poke through. Looks okay and doesn't seem to bother anything.
Old 8/30/07, 05:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 65sohc
That is odd. The D-Specs adjust with full hard as the reference point, ie. zero. Therefore the higher the number of counterclockwise turns from 0 the softer the damping.
maybe he put his struts in upside down

Quick Reply: A few issues with new springs