GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Factory service and custom tunes?

Search this Thread

Old 10/27/06, 11:53 AM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dealer doesn't have any problems with what I do to my car. But then again, I rarely go to the dealer for service anymore, there's just no need to and my warranty is just about up as well.

It's all about what the dealer wants to do. The best approach IMO, is to not even mention it. Let them discover your mods and let them feed you a line of B.S. first. Don't volunteer information or ask them about it.
Old 10/27/06, 05:59 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,706 Posts
Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
Good to know...I guess that the most important question: What is the position of the dealer that you plan to service your vehicle? I was told by my delearship, C. Harper, "That they would pursue voiding the warranty with the installation of aftermarket CAIs and tunes, however, axle backs were OK". Do some research on this forum, you will find countless opinions on this topic... I personally will not take a chance, especially when it only takes me 5 minutes to swap out the CAI. The longer you have the vehicle, the more braver you get... I was not planning on getting a tune, now I am... There are countless opinions on this as well, i.e., the dealer can tell that you reflash, and void you warranty... . It's your car- do whatever you want... but they're are some on "here" who've said that it was a nightmare when a dealership pursues voiding your warranty for mods. Right or wrong, it'll still be a PITA.
Of course C. Harper is going to tell you that.. especially that their not a performance oriented dealership to begin with ? I would suggest checking out Kenny Ross Ford, that's who services my Stang plus their very mod friendly you can also try Schultz Ford or McCraken Ford as well..As for doing research ?? I've done just that for over a year on these forums now in fact, if you take a look at the other warranty related threads ?? you'll find plenty of my other posts on the topic..The bottom line is ? I'll take the word of a Ford field service engineer any day, over some dealer rep whose only concern is attempting to insult their customers intelligence through intimidation by using scare tactics..
Old 10/27/06, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by RKNMACH
There must be another Ford dealer in Pittsburgh you can talk to just to get another opinion.
There are Chris ?? I've already provided him with 3...Kenny Ross Ford (that's who works on my Stang) McCraken Ford and Schultz Ford (route 8)
Old 10/27/06, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by metroplex
I'm sure that it'd be hard to actually get something in writing saying that an aftermarket Steeda CAI kit won't void the Ford factory warranty, but most dealerships would *probably* let it slide.
Oh really ?? Then explain this ? who do you think designs and engineers the FRPP cold air kit and pro cal tool (tuner) for Ford ? which by the way, is factory installed on both the Shelby hertz GT-H and the upcoming Shelby GT. that will be arriving at dealerships this January in which both vehicles carry full manufactures warranties ?? it's Steeda who shares their unique partnership in Ford's technology transfer program..
Old 10/27/06, 06:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Oh really ?? Then explain this ? who do you think designs and engineers the FRPP cold air kit and pro cal tool (tuner) for Ford ? which by the way, is factory installed on both the Shelby hertz GT-H and the upcoming Shelby GT. that will be arriving at dealerships this January in which both vehicles carry full manufactures warranties ?? it's Steeda who shares their unique partnership in Ford's technology transfer program..
The Shelby GT-H/GT is not assembled (in final form) at Flat Rock, MI at the AAI plant (J-V plant between Ford and Mazda). Instead, it is finalized at Shelby's facility in NV. There is also a difference between having Shelby install it (recall the Bold Moves Episode where Hau said it was best to have Shelby do it, since they can get it done in 3 months versus Ford doing it in 2-3 years), and having the end-user install it as an aftermarket part in some hack-job S197.

I understand what you are saying - the FRPP CAI kit was designed to work properly with the Mustang GT. But what most end-users are doing is swapping out the MAF sensor for an aftermarket unit (is it a Ford Motor Company designed/engineered/sourced part or is it made by a 3rd party) and reflashing the PCM without a dealership's authorization or the factory's authorization. Again, most dealerships will probably never hassle you over this, but until I see something in writing that says "Joe Sixpack may install (by himself) the FRPP CAI KIT and reflash their S197 GT's PCM with the FRPP tuner without voiding the factory bumper-to-bumper warranty and/or the powertrain warranty" I'd be careful when dealing with some dealerships. You never know who you're going to get at the service desk. I've had service managers give me sh*t for buying Ford's black ebony clearcoat paint and blaming me for buying that paint color when it clearly delaminated due to improper prep or cheap paint or whatever.
Old 10/27/06, 06:55 PM

He's absolutely correct ?? the tuner and re-flash take care of the aftermarket MAF and transfer function..
Old 10/27/06, 07:02 PM
Bullitt Member

My car is modified, UDP, CAI, TUNE, 4.10 Gear, Exhaust. I've been in two ford dealer, doing some swap for new pieces due to original piece broken, and none of the two say something. Cost me 0$, total guaranty. With no problem and not a word about my guaranty.
Old 10/27/06, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by metroplex
The Shelby GT-H/GT is not assembled (in final form) at Flat Rock, MI at the AAI plant (J-V plant between Ford and Mazda). Instead, it is finalized at Shelby's facility in NV. There is also a difference between having Shelby install it (recall the Bold Moves Episode where Hau said it was best to have Shelby do it, since they can get it done in 3 months versus Ford doing it in 2-3 years), and having the end-user install it as an aftermarket part in some hack-job S197.

I understand what you are saying - the FRPP CAI kit was designed to work properly with the Mustang GT. But what most end-users are doing is swapping out the MAF sensor for an aftermarket unit (is it a Ford Motor Company designed/engineered/sourced part or is it made by a 3rd party) and reflashing the PCM without a dealership's authorization or the factory's authorization. Again, most dealerships will probably never hassle you over this, but until I see something in writing that says "Joe Sixpack may install (by himself) the FRPP CAI KIT and reflash their S197 GT's PCM with the FRPP tuner without voiding the factory bumper-to-bumper warranty and/or the powertrain warranty" I'd be careful when dealing with some dealerships. You never know who you're going to get at the service desk. I've had service managers give me sh*t for buying Ford's black ebony clearcoat paint and blaming me for buying that paint color when it clearly delaminated due to improper prep or cheap paint or whatever.
I understand where your coming from and I know the FRPP parts are installed at Shelby Automobiles in Las Vegas ?? my point was !! when the upcoming Shelby GT. arrives at dealerships in January ? Ford will carry the full manufactures warranty..As for the 3rd party MAF sensor ?? do you mean the MAF housing ?? or the actual MAF sensor that's placed inside the intake tube(housing) ?? if your referring to the actual MAF sensor ? I also know exactly who you're referring to lol. and he claims that his re-calibrated MAF sensor is OEM and does not void the factory warranty ? in which I don't believe for a single moment and here's why ?? once you change or modify the original settings ? in which he did by rescaling the voltage settings..the maf sensor is no longer considered as factory OEM.. So yes ? I agree with you 100% there..personally ? I'd much rather take the risk with a product like my X-Cal II knowing the track record of the company behind that product which has been proven time and time again to provide the best performance results safely, than take the risk on an unknown product which hasn't seen much exposure..
Old 10/27/06, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by 65 A code
I would take it back to stock (minus the axle backs) just to avoid the hassal if they do have an issue with it. Not like it takes long to put the stock air intake back on and re-flash it.

Dealers around me all have sign's up noting that they will void warrentys if there are any modified parts.
Those dealers are using scare tactics to intimidate you..Dealers cannot void a manufactures warranty, it's against federal law..If you see dealer signs like that posted ? report that dealer to Ford Corporate..
Old 10/27/06, 08:05 PM

RKNMACH and ECI are both correct.. METROPLEX and SIXTYSIX also brought up very interesting factors as well.. just follow their advice along with everything I've posted and you'll be just fine..
Old 10/27/06, 08:08 PM
GT Member

Keep in mind that for a dealership to "void" a warranty, they have to prove that the modification is what caused the part failure. The onus is on them. Yes, you may get into a hassle, but ultimately, when it comes down to it, they cannot refuse to honor your warranty unless they prove (in a court of law if necessary), that your aftermarket part is the sole and direct cause for a material failure.

Point is, don't go out of your way unless you really think you've done something wrong to screw up your car. But don't go changing things around and putting yourself out just because you're afraid they might see something they don't like.

Again, getting into the PITA of it, but you're the customer so they have to serve you, if they try to deny it, the Better Business Bureau will take care of it right quick, and you can file your complaint online in about 15 minutes if necessary.

THEY HAVE TO HONOR A WARRANTY!!
Old 10/27/06, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tedz Pony
Keep in mind that for a dealership to "void" a warranty, they have to prove that the modification is what caused the part failure. The onus is on them. Yes, you may get into a hassle, but ultimately, when it comes down to it, they cannot refuse to honor your warranty unless they prove (in a court of law if necessary), that your aftermarket part is the sole and direct cause for a material failure.

Point is, don't go out of your way unless you really think you've done something wrong to screw up your car. But don't go changing things around and putting yourself out just because you're afraid they might see something they don't like.

Again, getting into the PITA of it, but you're the customer so they have to serve you, if they try to deny it, the Better Business Bureau will take care of it right quick, and you can file your complaint online in about 15 minutes if necessary.

THEY HAVE TO HONOR A WARRANTY!!
In addition ?? the dealership's service manager must also request a field service engineer be brought in to conduct a full investigation and must then prove within a reasonable doubt ? that the aftermarket part was directly responsible for the warranted part in question to fail..The results of that investigation are then submitted to Ford Corporate in Detroit and if Ford then determines the aftermarket part was the cause of the failure ?? the determination is then submitted back to the dealership's service manager denying the warranty claim..Case in point ?? only the manufacturer has the legal authority to void their warranty claims.
Old 10/27/06, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by RKNMACH
Steeda does advertise that you need a tune because of the change in MAF. I just chose to go with Doug's tune which takes the Steeda set up in consideration. There appear to be many other systems CAI available but I chose to go with one that seems to be in bed with Ford. The system works fine for me and has not created any problems so far.
I chose the Steeda for the same reasons and also like their fit and finish quality as well..I also haven't had any problems, complaints in nearly 6 months of usage..
Old 10/28/06, 01:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Lol I've brought my car in for warranty service and it has nitrous on it. I didn't even take the bottle out. It all depends on the dealer.
Old 10/28/06, 01:05 PM

That is absolute and completely false..it's not up to the dealer ?? Only Ford itself has the legal authority to void their manufactures warranties
Old 10/29/06, 11:57 PM
Bullitt Member

I put mine back to stock when I go to the dealer because my exhaust stinks with the Bamatune.
Old 10/30/06, 07:30 AM
GT Member

I'm going to jump in here.

I've got FRPP CMCV Delete Plates installed, and I guess that means that if I remove the CAI and restore the stock tune, that I will get some kind of error code, no? I am pretty much stuck with taking mine in with the 93 Race tune.

I do all my maintenance. I take it to the dealer only for warranty work.