GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Factory service and custom tunes?

Search this Thread

Old 10/26/06, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory service and custom tunes?

equip: 06 GT, C&L CAI, XCAL2 -93 oct flash., flowmasters

Wondering if others like to reflash back to stock before taking their cars in for service.

Simple enough to do- my concern is that a check engine light will come on because of the Air Fuel being wrong (due to the CAI).

What can I do?

Can FORD void my warranty if I leave a custom tune loaded?

btw- the service I need done is NOT engine related....
Old 10/26/06, 04:58 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, Ford will probably void your warranty. You're worried about the air/gas mixture with the reflash and the CAI. Well, there is another issue...the CAI. They can void "it" for "that" as well. To be safe, you should reflash and remove the CAI(Reinstall factory intake) before you take it in. You're OK with the Flows.
Old 10/26/06, 05:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

What about after your warranty has expired? Is it still necessary to remove the CAI and return to stock?
Old 10/26/06, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
Yes, Ford will probably void your warranty. You're worried about the air/gas mixture with the reflash and the CAI. Well, there is another issue...the CAI. They can void "it" for "that" as well. To be safe, you should reflash and remove the CAI(Reinstall factory intake) before you take it in. You're OK with the Flows.
Ive never heard of an aftermarket CAI voiding warranty- can you point to some reference for that statement?
Old 10/26/06, 05:51 PM
eci
Banned

They can't void your warranty, period. That is a blanket statement. If a particular system fails, and they determine your mod to have been the cause of the failure, they can refuse to cover * that instance *. They can't just say "hahaha no more warranty for you!! "
Old 10/26/06, 05:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got an Airaid CAI on my car, and while it isn't tuned, the guys at my work know that isn't a big deal. Its all up to each individual dealer and what they want to in regards to warranty with CAI's and such.
Old 10/26/06, 09:13 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,723 Posts
NO dealership can void a factory warranty, without authorization from Ford corporate in Detroit, also Ford has to prove within a reasonable doubt that the aftermarket tune or part was directly responsible for the warranted part in question to fail..Otherwise it is illegal to void a factory warranty for just the sake of installing an aftermarket part..BTW, this information is direct from a Ford field service engineer and not from me.. with that being said ? being that your also from Pittsburgh ?? I'm quite sure your familar and know where Kenny Ross Ford is located ?? I take my Stang there all the time to be worked on and there's never been a problem with my Steeda CAI and SCT tune..In fact the technician that works on my Stang has installed both the FRPP cold air intake, FRPP stinger axle back exhaust and FRPP shorty headers for several other customers as well..You only need to reflash back to stock, if your PCM files need updating by the dealership in which I always take my SCT tuner just in case there's an update that's required..Kenny Ross Ford, is also a Roush Dealer as well..
Old 10/27/06, 06:45 AM
Bullitt Member

I have the same relationship with my dealer even though they are not an "SVT" dealer. If you start changing cams and doing head work etc. then you might have a problem. Be up front with them and find out for sure.
Old 10/27/06, 07:16 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
NO dealership can void a factory warranty, without authorization from Ford corporate in Detroit, also Ford has to prove within a reasonable doubt that the aftermarket tune or part was directly responsible for the warranted part in question to fail..Otherwise it is illegal to void a factory warranty for just the sake of installing an aftermarket part..BTW, this information is direct from a Ford field service engineer and not from me.. with that being said ? being that your also from Pittsburgh ?? I'm quite sure your familar and know where Kenny Ross Ford is located ?? I take my Stang there all the time to be worked on and there's never been a problem with my Steeda CAI and SCT tune..In fact the technician that works on my Stang has installed both the FRPP cold air intake, FRPP stinger axle back exhaust and FRPP shorty headers for several other customers as well..You only need to reflash back to stock, if your PCM files need updating by the dealership in which I always take my SCT tuner just in case there's an update that's required..Kenny Ross Ford, is also a Roush Dealer as well..
Good to know...I guess that the most important question: What is the position of the dealer that you plan to service your vehicle? I was told by my delearship, C. Harper, "That they would pursue voiding the warranty with the installation of aftermarket CAIs and tunes, however, axle backs were OK". Do some research on this forum, you will find countless opinions on this topic... I personally will not take a chance, especially when it only takes me 5 minutes to swap out the CAI. The longer you have the vehicle, the more braver you get... I was not planning on getting a tune, now I am... There are countless opinions on this as well, i.e., the dealer can tell that you reflash, and void you warranty... . It's your car- do whatever you want... but they're are some on "here" who've said that it was a nightmare when a dealership pursues voiding your warranty for mods. Right or wrong, it'll still be a PITA.
Old 10/27/06, 08:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Actually most CAIs that include a non-factory MAF should technically void your warranty because:

1). It requires modification of the PCM calibration to work properly
2). It can cause emissions equipment failure (incorrect air transfer function = melted/clogged cats)
3). The CAI kit aren't all simply air filter replacements. If that MAF is replaced, it is a totally different story. The FRPP kit includes a tuner that flashes your PCM with a new tune that includes the correct air transfer function (non-authorized modification of PCM tune and non-authorized electronic engine control device being used).

That's my take on it and I'm sure most dealerships won't void your warranty because it is a Mustang GT and because a CAI kit makes it kick even more a$$ on the track.
Old 10/27/06, 08:09 AM
Bullitt Member

There must be another Ford dealer in Pittsburgh you can talk to just to get another opinion.
Old 10/27/06, 08:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
Actually most CAIs that include a non-factory MAF should technically void your warranty because:

1). It requires modification of the PCM calibration to work properly
2). It can cause emissions equipment failure (incorrect air transfer function = melted/clogged cats)
3). The CAI kit aren't all simply air filter replacements. If that MAF is replaced, it is a totally different story. The FRPP kit includes a tuner that flashes your PCM with a new tune that includes the correct air transfer function (non-authorized modification of PCM tune and non-authorized electronic engine control device being used).

That's my take on it and I'm sure most dealerships won't void your warranty because it is a Mustang GT and because a CAI kit makes it kick even more a$$ on the track.
Steeda works with Ford and that's why I went that way even thought it meant a change in the MAF and a "tune".
Old 10/27/06, 08:21 AM
GT Member

I would take it back to stock (minus the axle backs) just to avoid the hassal if they do have an issue with it. Not like it takes long to put the stock air intake back on and re-flash it.

Dealers around me all have sign's up noting that they will void warrentys if there are any modified parts.
Old 10/27/06, 08:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by RKNMACH
Steeda works with Ford and that's why I went that way even thought it meant a change in the MAF and a "tune".

I'm sure that it'd be hard to actually get something in writing saying that an aftermarket Steeda CAI kit won't void the Ford factory warranty, but most dealerships would *probably* let it slide.
Old 10/27/06, 08:58 AM
Bullitt Member

We have dealers that carry Steeda parts and are listed as Steeda dealers. They also install the parts to include CAI's. Steeda's web site lists them as licensed by Ford and as a "Partner in Performance". I would think it would be hard to void the warranty...
Old 10/27/06, 09:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

We have dealers that carry Steeda parts and are listed as Steeda dealers. They also install the parts to include CAI's. Steeda's web site lists them as licensed by Ford and as a "Partner in Performance". I would think it would be hard to void the warranty...
In that instance, I would think that the particular Steeda dealer would be backing the warranty service for that vehicle in case something does go wrong.

The key thing is to get something in writing because you never know what might happen and a dealer will refuse warranty service.
Old 10/27/06, 09:28 AM

guess I'll be putting that factory airbox back in.... hope I didnt lose any screws...

JUst wish I would have used those **** wire ties.... :-)
Old 10/27/06, 09:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Again, it all depends how you drive your car. Hard to see how the installation of a CAI will cause any engine problems unless you keep tinkering with it by changing the tune. Most users who "hot rod" on the streets shouldn't get to the point where the engine is put under so much stress it will have parts fails.
Old 10/27/06, 09:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Again, it all depends how you drive your car. Hard to see how the installation of a CAI will cause any engine problems unless you keep tinkering with it by changing the tune. Most users who "hot rod" on the streets shouldn't get to the point where the engine is put under so much stress it will have parts fails.
No, it depends on if you are using an aftermarket MAF as part of the CAI kit or if you are using a stock MAF with the CAI kit. Technically if you remove the stock airbox and slap a cone filter onto the stock MAF, your PCM's air transfer function is no longer accurate (MAF + airbox are calibrated as an assembly, which is why many of the newer Ford airboxes have the MAF's integrated with the lid) but I believe under the Magnusson-Moss act, you would be fine (just a different air filter). The K&N style filters are also less effective at filtration.

If you use an aftermarket MAF + aftermarket CAI kit, you will need a tune or else you will run excessively rich or lean and cause catalytic converter failure and/or engine damage.
Old 10/27/06, 09:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Steeda does advertise that you need a tune because of the change in MAF. I just chose to go with Doug's tune which takes the Steeda set up in consideration. There appear to be many other systems CAI available but I chose to go with one that seems to be in bed with Ford. The system works fine for me and has not created any problems so far.

Quick Reply: Factory service and custom tunes?