GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Exhaust with NO drone?

Search this Thread

Old 8/8/05, 09:27 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I had posted, I had to sell my Magnapacks due to a neighbor being a *****. I spoke with him and he said that it was the amount of bass that was the problem. Well, I still want a great exhaust note and volume so I made him a deal. He shuts up about my exhaust and in return I will edge trim his sidwalk every time I do ours. It was the only idea that I had and it only takes 5 min. He accepted.

So I am stock right now and I am back in the market for exhaust not quite as loud as packs but much better than stock. I am thinking of the regular Magnaflows but I still haven't decided.

My main issue is, I don't want drone. The magnapacks were great but they had a good bit of drone at 2000 RPM. I didn't mind too much since they sounded so good but now that I will get something a little quieter, I don't want any drone at all. Or at least very little.

So what do you think of Bassani, JBA, Steeda, and Magnaflow. How is the drone?

Thanks.
Old 8/8/05, 09:37 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the regular Magnaflows, there is absolutely no drone whatsoever.
Old 8/8/05, 09:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

How is the volume on the Magnaflows. I have been told that they are no louder than stock.
Old 8/8/05, 09:44 AM
V6 Member

They're maybe a little louder than stock, probably the same volume at idle and louder at WOT. They're also deeper. I installed one of the pipes and started the car with it on to listen to the difference between stock and the new Magnaflow one and it was definitely deeper. I'm looking to get an X Pipe to make it a little louder though
Old 8/8/05, 09:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

OK so I have a thumbs up for Magnaflows. How about Bassani? Anyone?
Old 8/8/05, 10:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Don't know anything about them, but have you thought about the new axle backs from Hooker

Seems like I've read they do not have drone
Old 8/8/05, 10:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

Hmm, I haven't heard of Hooker. I'm researching now.
Old 8/8/05, 11:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

Have the Magnaflow axlebacks. No drone. IMO they are a little louder than stock and give a deeper throaty sound. From my reading this forum, I think the Bassini's are alot more kickbutt but you are going to get a drone
Old 8/8/05, 11:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

I am a little leary of the Bassanis. I think they have drone but I want someone to confirm it. Magnaflow is on the top of my list at the moment. I have also been researching those Hookers and they look and sound good. Wait, that didn't come out right........
Old 8/8/05, 11:44 AM
Cobra Member

The Bassani , magnaflow and JBA's seem to be the most mellow from what I have heard personally.
Old 8/8/05, 01:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by ryan1112@August 8, 2005, 1:24 PM
I am a little leary of the Bassanis. I think they have drone but I want someone to confirm it. Magnaflow is on the top of my list at the moment. I have also been research those Hookers and they look and sound good. Wait, that didn't come out right........
The Bassini's have what my seem to be a slight drone, but this is only with the windows up. For some reason, it is not noticable with the windows down. . I am very happy with them.
Old 8/8/05, 01:42 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by ryan1112@August 8, 2005, 9:47 AM
Hmm, I haven't heard of Hooker. I'm researching now.
You haven't heard of Hooker Headers Wow I must be getting old

It's funny you mention the complaints on the Magnapacks, because I've got a buddy who has them on his 05' and to be quite honest, I don't think they are LOUD at all. They are much deeper in tone than stock, but not any louder IMO. But he doesn't have the x-pipe, so that may make a big difference too.

The chambered Magnaflows will probably be your best best against the drone. However even the stockers have a little drone to them.
Old 8/8/05, 04:20 PM

I'm new to this stuff but you may want to check out the Sept issue of MM&FF. They test five axle back systems in addition to stock. The Bassani, Ford Racing & Flowmaster seem to add power but are also louder. Magnaflow is about the same volume as stock, JBA louder but both appear to lose power compared to stock. I'm considering the Flowmaster and then Bassini myself, just based on performance. Also going to wait for the follow-up articles on cat-back and x-pipes before deciding.
Old 8/8/05, 05:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

SLP. SLP. SLP.
Old 8/8/05, 05:13 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 2Slack@August 8, 2005, 12:29 PM
The Bassini's have what my seem to be a slight drone, but this is only with the windows up. For some reason, it is not noticable with the windows down. . I am very happy with them.
I concur...my Bassani's have just a hint of drone with the windows up, none with them down. The sound is very refined and doesn't pop and fart like some of the others do. Very happy with the tone at idle, WOT, and everything in between.

By the way, the Bassani's in the MM&FF article are not the one's I have...I have model 4605-5 - the "rectangular box"-shaped ones.
Old 8/8/05, 05:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

I installed one of the pipes and started the car with it on to listen to the difference between stock and the new Magnaflow one and it was definitely deeper. I'm looking to get an X Pipe to make it a little louder though

Since we are on the subject, can anyone out there who have the Magnaflow mufflers and x-pipe give their opinion. I have the axle-backs and thought about the x pipe but I'm not sure its worth the cost.
Old 8/8/05, 05:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I really don't have an opinion to add however... I am wondering if there's any way to get a louder idle, I don't care much about WOT as I'm in the car at WOT, but at idle I'd like to get more sound for when I'm outside my car.
Old 8/8/05, 06:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well, first off I think its between Magnaflows and Bassani. Don't get me wrong there is a lot of good stuff out there, its just where I'm at now.

Also, I decided to take my Magnaflow x-pipe off. There was a "tinging" noise that just wouldn't go away and it was driving me nuts. The cats would also touch the floorboard when I would floor it and rattle the dash and pedals to heck. I took it to 2 shops and they said that there was nothing that they could do for either problem. I am exchanging it for the Bassani x-pipe.

I don't have bad vibes towards Magnaflow now, after all I may still get their axlebacks and I have had good luck with them in the past. I just can't recommend this x-pipe.
Old 8/8/05, 08:34 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 1st Stang@August 8, 2005, 5:23 PM
I'm new to this tuck but you may want to check out the Sept issue of MM&FF. They test five axle back systems in addition to stock. The Bassani, Ford Racing & Flowmaster seem to add power but are also louder. Magnaflow is about the same volume as stock, JBA louder but both appear to lose power compared to stock. I'm considering the Flowmaster and then Bassini myself, just based on performance. Also going to wait for the follow-up articles on cat-back and x-pipes before deciding.
It's worth noting that the horsepower numbers in that article are worthless. They didn't run the car long enough after the installs to allow the computer to adjust to the new exhaust profile. They basically threw the exhaust on then ran the car on the dyno, let it cool, put on the next one and ran the dyno etc.
Old 8/9/05, 05:25 AM
Team Mustang Source

No mention of Borla? Anyone have Borla's?

Quick Reply: Exhaust with NO drone?