GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Exhaust Leak

Search this Thread

Old 9/14/09, 11:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exhaust Leak

So, I recently installed a Bassani X-Pipe w/cats. I initially installed it without cats, but decided it was too loud. About a week later I changed it to include the cats. Anyway, now I seem to have an exhaust leak somewhere. By the sound of it I believe it is coming from the connection of the manifold and the x-pipe. All other clamps are tight and there really is no way they are leaking.

The bolts connecting the manifold and x-pipe were properly tightened when installed. Today I got under there and checked the bolts again, and the one on the driver side was not very tight, but this was checked hot not cold. The pipes were f'ing hot (just got done driving a very spirited few miles), and I was able to get another 1/2 turn out of the nuts. I rechecked and the leak is still there it seems.

I guess my question is, is there a gasket or something that could be leaking in between the manifold and x-pipe? I did not see anything when I installed it. Any other suggestions?? High temp. silicone like that Permatex Ultra Copper??
Old 9/15/09, 07:28 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you tried getting underneath the car while the engine is on? You would be able to feel the leak with your hands by cupping them around the pipe connections. That would help you locate specifically where your problem is...maybe one of the clamps you thought was good is actually the one leaking? If you've done that, sorry for the useless comment.

Last edited by Americanboy86; 9/15/09 at 09:53 AM.
Old 9/15/09, 08:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I had a similar problem a few years ago and I did exactly what you did- tighten when cold, go driving and get everything up to temp, then get underneath and tighten again. I found that several of the connections especially up around the manifolds were loose. Once I tightened them while hot, they never came loose again and the problem went away. We were still able to remove those easily when I sold the car.
Old 9/15/09, 12:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

I haven't been under it while running, that may be the next step. The problem is I am about 90% sure the leak is coming from one of the manifold - x pipe connections. Is there a gasket or something that I did not see that could be damaged and leaking?
Old 9/15/09, 03:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by theedge67
I haven't been under it while running, that may be the next step. The problem is I am about 90% sure the leak is coming from one of the manifold - x pipe connections. Is there a gasket or something that I did not see that could be damaged and leaking?
No gasket there, though I have seen people use a bit of high temp red silicone sealer in that area (never needed to myself)
Old 9/15/09, 06:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

I know we used to use the Ultra Copper red gasket stuff on our old racecar in between the heads and the headers, it worked well. If I have to I might go that route, but I think I'll just try and disconnect everything first and do it all over again. Ugh.
Old 9/15/09, 10:52 PM
GT Member

I know we used to use the Ultra Copper red gasket stuff on our old racecar in between the heads and the headers, it worked well. If I have to I might go that route, but I think I'll just try and disconnect everything first and do it all over again. Ugh.
I haven't had one exhaust install where everything went on perfect and worked perfect on the first try. Either something isn't aligned properly, or there's a leak, or there's a rattle. My x-pipe to manifold connection has a small leak on the passenger side, which annoys me daily. I will fix it when it cools off a bit.

I was wondering about the rtv before my install as well, does anyone use that?
Old 9/16/09, 07:31 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by dsmdiggler
I haven't had one exhaust install where everything went on perfect and worked perfect on the first try. Either something isn't aligned properly, or there's a leak, or there's a rattle. My x-pipe to manifold connection has a small leak on the passenger side, which annoys me daily. I will fix it when it cools off a bit.

I was wondering about the rtv before my install as well, does anyone use that?
RTV silicone was recommended to me as well before I did my Kooks install but I went along without it. I haven't had any issues (yet) where I ended up wishing I had put it on. I did have an exhaust leak right off the bat though that was fixed by better alignment of the pipes and H-pipe to the headers (could be the problem for both of you). And amen to exhaust work always being a pain.
Old 9/16/09, 02:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

It would be easy if I had a lift in my garage.
Old 9/16/09, 05:07 PM
GT Member

It would be easy if I had a lift in my garage.
I do all of my stuff on the ground, under the carport of my townhouse! Its not exactly the best place to be working on a car when its 113 degrees.
Old 9/19/09, 10:33 PM
V6 Member

I'm chasing a similar leak with my O/R Pypes H-pipe. I noticed on Pypes' website at one time they stated their x-pipe came with a slip in pipe that slides in to the h or x pipe at the connection point to the manifold. I contacted Brenspeed about these and they stated apparently Ford didn't have very close tolerances on their exhaust manifolds and the diameters of the ends are not always the close to the same so both Pypes and Mac have started including these slip in pieces with their kits. Essentially they help close up any gaps between the h or x pipe and the exhaust manifold on vehicles that have an issue. I haven't had a chance to install them yet but I'm hoping that will correct my issue. I don't know if anyone have had issues with Bassanis or not but if re-tightening the bolts don't work you may want to check it out.

I found link on Pypes page. You can see the sleeves in the picture on their instruction sheet.

http://pysales.com/inst/XFM23-26%20instructions.pdf

Last edited by Bigjht; 9/20/09 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10/26/19, 08:08 PM

i have a 98 mustang gt and installed a bbk no cats x pipe. will these work on my car as i have a small leak at drivers side exhaust manifold.
Old 4/11/21, 06:53 PM
V6 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
when i bought my car it had stock exhaust on it and after about 6 months i had the exhaust to what was supposed to be the flowmaster american thunder cat-back system but instead they installed the flowmaster outlaw cat-back, what they didn't tell me was this was the most aggressive sounding exhaust to have especially on a convertible and the shop that installed it could not get it lined up right and it was rattling off the frame,the spare tire floor pan and it had the worst exhaust leak i had ever heard. i had it installed on a saturday and on monday they tried not so hard to straighten it out to stop the rattle and exhaust leak but the installer said with this being a true 3" system it would not be 100% as on the convertible things were really tight for the exhaust..after 1 hour of tinkering they got the exhaust leak to almost stop but the rattle was unbearable so i picked up a complete stock exhaust system from the wrecker and an H-Pipe from the dealership as they cut my original out but after listening to the exhaust banging off the frame for 2 more weeks i had the stock exhaust put on and it still has a small exhaust leak when it's cold goes away when hot..i too thought that maybe there was something that was missing but it's a ball and knuckle fitting so there is no way for a gasket but i was going to ask about high-temp exhaust paste ..or maybe just get them to try and re-fit the flowmaster kit back on it. i would do it myself but there is no way with jack stands and car ramps that i can do it in my driveway, so i might ask the exhaust shop what they charge to re-install it properly without leaks, i just couldn't get over how stupid loud it was with the 3" x-pipe and no mufflers
Old 4/12/21, 01:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
*attempts to read brick wall of text*

*brain locks up*.

Um... yes? Maybe yes...
Old 4/12/21, 04:09 PM
V6 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
*attempts to read brick wall of text*

*brain locks up*.

Um... yes? Maybe yes...
well i just needed to vent i have given up on the car, i have ordered 1800 dollars in parts that were either defective and or ford's poor design just don't work, latest issue was the styling bar the vinyl wrap that goes around it started coming off the foam
contacted American Muscle and got the response "I'm checking and it doesn't look like this has a warranty. Unfortunately, I don't have any other recommendations" so i pulled the bar out of my car threw it on the pile of parts in my garage,
and finally came to the conclusion that American Muscle is nothing more than a dollar store for performance features and it's not their fault if something is defective
my bad should have listened to my gut ordering from AM i had a bad feeling right after i ordered parts

car is officially off the road until further notice and i don't care how long it sits.
Old 4/13/21, 08:42 AM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,985 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Definitely agree about AM.. Unless the parts have a manufactures warranty directly thru the manufacturer? I will not purchase any type of non-brand name knockoff products that AM sells, as they're all cheap, Chinese grade quality junk IMHO!