GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Engine revs keep persisting

Search this Thread

Old 4/5/05, 01:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is annoying, particularly when doing aggressive shifts.

I take my foot off the throttle, but the rpm's continue to climb...the wait for the revs to plateau before I can depress the clutch for a shift is too long...meaning sometimes the revs shoot up after pressing the clutch.

Very difficult to do quick gear shifts. Every car I've ever owned has been a stick and I've never had such a problem before. I can bang through the gears on my Focus ZX5 with suppa smooth, effortless shifts.

Help a brutha' out...
Old 4/5/05, 04:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think this is normal. (trying to burn off excess gasses) not that I like it. I will wait to see if maybe Ford comes up with a flash. If not probably some tuning.
Michael
Old 4/5/05, 04:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

It really pissed me off when I test drove the car...... but it is my understanding that you can greatly reduce the effect with a tuner like the SCT or Diablo......
Old 4/5/05, 04:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Wait a second...are you guys implying that I'm not the only one experiencing this 'effect'?

This is expected behaviour?

The engine revs just done fit naturally with the stick and clutch. I can shift my Focus without a thought...whereas in my GT many a time I have to sort of concentrate on my shifting.

That's a first, cuz in all my previous cars (including a '90 Mustang GT), the shiftw were very 'natural'.

So, a tune is in order, huh?
Old 4/5/05, 06:32 PM
Banned

the up rev / slow down rev is there to simplify shifts so that if you are a slow shifter then you won't have to rev the gas to catch up w/ the gear change, it is supposed to be better on the clutch and easier on the driver, but it still pisses me off too.....I think this is the only thing that me and Jack Frost have agreed on, on this forum....amazing how people so far from alike can have the same complaints
Old 4/5/05, 07:15 PM
Cobra R Member

Man I don't know where you are coming from but you have nothing correct. Racing you keep your foot in it when shifting. #2 the drive by wire situation is the cause of the lag. Nothing else. This lag that scares me on deceleration can be eliminated with a tuner. I did that too with a Predator.
Old 4/5/05, 07:57 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by Mongoose@April 5, 2005, 8:18 PM
Man I don't know where you are coming from but you have nothing correct. Racing you keep your foot in it when shifting. #2 the drive by wire situation is the cause of the lag. Nothing else. This lag that scares me on deceleration can be eliminated with a tuner. I did that too with a Predator.
It is still present with the Predator. I notice when I heal toe brake, the engine doesn't brake the car until about a second later.
Old 4/5/05, 07:57 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
The Mazda 6 has a similar effect (v6, 5-speed).
Old 4/5/05, 09:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 2005MustangGT@April 5, 2005, 6:35 PM
the up rev / slow down rev is there to simplify shifts so that if you are a slow shifter then you won't have to rev the gas to catch up w/ the gear change, it is supposed to be better on the clutch and easier on the driver, but it still pisses me off too.....I think this is the only thing that me and Jack Frost have agreed on, on this forum....amazing how people so far from alike can have the same complaints
Well that's just great.

So this 'effect' is by design, not a defect particular to my GT :scratch:

It's driving me nuts.

And I don't see how this can be easier on the clutch. When upshifting, if feels like the clutch is grinding just before it completely disengages to allow for the upshift.

Why are they trying to accomodate slow shifters, as you say? Peeps that buy a car of this calibre (& esp. with a manual) tend to be competent driving enthusiasts...not the geritol set.
Old 4/5/05, 09:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jack Frost@April 5, 2005, 2:49 PM
This is annoying, particularly when doing aggressive shifts.

I take my foot off the throttle, but the rpm's continue to climb...the wait for the revs to plateau before I can depress the clutch for a shift is too long...meaning sometimes the revs shoot up after pressing the clutch.

Very difficult to do quick gear shifts. Every car I've ever owned has been a stick and I've never had such a problem before. I can bang through the gears on my Focus ZX5 with suppa smooth, effortless shifts.

Help a brutha' out...
Happened to me when i test drove a stick '05...i think it is that drive by wire crap! :angry:
Old 4/5/05, 09:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

This is not the only car in which the revs "hang" in between shifts. I had an '03 svt focus that did the same thing. I has to do with how the car is tuned to reduce emissions. How or why this reduces emissions, I don't know. You can pretty much get rid of it with an aftermarket tuner.
Old 4/5/05, 10:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

This is actually a common occurence in modern cars. It is the only way that car companies have found to control transient emissions (emissions from the engine when it is winding down between shifts). In my car, a simple restrictor could be fit inline with the IAC valve to correct the problem. I made mine out of a copper pipe top, with a small hole drilled into it. It has nothing to do with slow shifters. It is designed to do that on purpose.
Old 4/5/05, 10:21 PM
FR500 Member

It took me some time, but I finally got used to it and it no longer is an issue for me. It had been quite a number of years since I drove a V-8 with a manual and at first I thought it was me. After a trip (950 miles) over a two day period, we have bonded
Old 4/5/05, 11:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not only is it just annoying though, it defeats the purpose of downshift braking. It is like having your foot on the gas at all times. It is also beating on your synchros and clutch. I don't know if you guys will be able to defeat it as easily, but i assure you, you will be much happier if/when you do.
Old 4/6/05, 07:21 AM
Bullitt Member

This is all very discouraging, and a downside to the integration of software with the automobile.

It does have it's benefits, but at the same time it has resulted in the owner succeeding some control to the manufacturer.
Old 4/6/05, 09:36 AM
V6 Member

Anyone try and disconnect the clutch pedal switch? Granted that you need the wires crossed when starting, but open the rest of the time may give different feel to the rpms.

P
Old 4/6/05, 11:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally some more talk on this. I brought this up back in December when I got my car. I noticed it the first time I drove the car and posted a poll thread on the topic. Hardly anyone noticed that the "problem" was there. I will be watching this thread closely to look for solutions.

Autocross season starts in less than 2 weeks for me and I tell you, this throttle lag issue is going to stink when going from 5000+RPM WOT straight to hard braking for a corner.
Old 4/6/05, 12:42 PM
Bullitt Member

I, too, got my car in December but have hardly driven it due to the winter.

Now that spring is here, I've been doing a lot of driving and I have to tell ya...this rev issue is taking a lot of pleasure out of driving the car.

I detected it when I test drove the car...but I thought it was just me being unaccustomed to a V8 after spending the last 5 years driving mostly manuals in 4 cylinder Euro cars because I work in Europe a lot, and also because I have a manual Focus ZX5 (which shifts like a dream).

I have to find a solution to this...failing to do so could very well make me start thinking of a trade. :angry:
Old 4/6/05, 07:02 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Oh comeon...its not THAT bad....
Old 4/6/05, 07:11 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Mongoose@April 5, 2005, 7:18 PM
who are you talking about, I was referring to driving normally in traffic not at the drag strip, I'm pretty sure I know how to powershift, but thanks for the pointer anyways...and no my predator didn't take care of this little issue.

Quick Reply: Engine revs keep persisting