GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Engine Mod Advice

Search this Thread

Old 6/9/13, 05:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Engine Mod Advice

I'm considering installing a supercharger and I know I can do this without building the engine but for the sake of peace of mind I'm considering two options and would like opinions and maybe pricing examples if possible.

Would it be more economical to have a rotating assembly installed in my engine or buy an already built shortblock and have it installed?

All things being equal, if I use the stock heads, cams, etc, what are the cost differences between having a shortblock installed vs installing a forged rotating assembly in my existing engine?
Old 6/9/13, 11:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only advantage would be less down time with a new shortblock. You will have a hard time finding a shortblock built with an 05+ aluminum block. Ford doesn't make the 4.6L aluminum block anymore and they are getting very scarce. If you have a good machine shop locally that is familiar with the mod motors then I would have your current block done with a new rotating assembly. If you want to go the shortblock route, I would buy the B326 from Brenspeed http://www.brenspeed.com/b326.html and then sell your stock block to recoup some of the cost.

Earl
Old 6/10/13, 10:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

That's a good suggestion on the B326, I've been looking at that too. But even if I do a shortblock I'm planning to keep my original. I don't want to regret not having the original engine 20 years from now.

How many hours does a simple shortblock take to install vs a full rotating assembly install?
Old 6/10/13, 03:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Your talking hours for a built shortblock vs many days to build your own. You have to pull the engine for both but with a built shortblock it's just a matter of swapping everything from the old motor to the new one and putting it back in. To build your own you have to disassemble the old engine, take it to a machine shop to be cleaned and machined for the new rotating assembly. Then everything is usually assembled about 3 times, checking clearances, filing ring gaps ect. This usually takes a few weeks, depending on how busy the shop is. When everything is done, then the complete motor can be assembled and installed.

Earl

Last edited by retfr8flyr; 6/10/13 at 03:30 PM.
Old 6/10/13, 07:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

That's kinda what I was thinking but didn't think the gap was quite that far apart. I guess I'm leaning towards a shortblock, so a swap like that would be around 1k in labor? More or less?
Old 6/15/13, 08:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Come on guys, what have you paid for short block swaps? Whats the typical hourly rate and how many hours? Or do shops usually quote a set install price?

Has anyone done a Brenspeed B326 NA even initially?
Old 6/15/13, 08:34 PM
Bullitt Member

It all depends on the shop. Some places wont even work on the car unless they supply all the parts. I would say you are close, with the cost running between $1000-1300, it all dpepnds on what all you are going to have them do. I know of a few B326 engines that ran NA for a while, before going FI and they were very happy with them. I know one made 410rwhp with blower cams in it.

Earl
Old 6/15/13, 10:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Earl. Now I've got to decide if I'm going to do major mods to the '06 or save for a down payment on a '15.

The sooner we get a look at the '15 the sooner I can make this decision.
Old 6/16/13, 09:39 PM
Bullitt Member

If you want a piece of advice I would sell, or trade in your 06 and get an 2011-2012 that's in good shape. The 15's will be a new design but I think they will also be more money. If Ford continues their current practice you will not be able to do many mods on the 15's. Ford has done something to the computers on the 13's and 14's, that the tuners haven't been able to figure out yet, that they don't make the power the 11's and 12's did with mods.

If you pick up a nice 11 or 12 you can put a Paxton, or Vortech Centrifugal supercharger on it with some fuel upgrades and make 700rwhp with ease. With all the money you save, compared to the 15, you can then mod the exterior and make it your own.

With the new 5.0 producing so much power, it really isn't cost effective to build up a 3v anymore. If you put mod money into a 5.0, you have a chance of getting some of it back. Money for mods spent on a 3v is just gone, as there isn't much of a market for them anymore. Just my $.02.

Earl

Last edited by retfr8flyr; 6/16/13 at 09:41 PM.
Old 6/17/13, 01:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by retfr8flyr
If you want a piece of advice I would sell, or trade in your 06 and get an 2011-2012 that's in good shape. The 15's will be a new design but I think they will also be more money. If Ford continues their current practice you will not be able to do many mods on the 15's. Ford has done something to the computers on the 13's and 14's, that the tuners haven't been able to figure out yet, that they don't make the power the 11's and 12's did with mods.

If you pick up a nice 11 or 12 you can put a Paxton, or Vortech Centrifugal supercharger on it with some fuel upgrades and make 700rwhp with ease. With all the money you save, compared to the 15, you can then mod the exterior and make it your own.

With the new 5.0 producing so much power, it really isn't cost effective to build up a 3v anymore. If you put mod money into a 5.0, you have a chance of getting some of it back. Money for mods spent on a 3v is just gone, as there isn't much of a market for them anymore. Just my $.02.

Earl
Here's my thinking if he trades in in car he might get about 13,000 and really that's being nice depending on the miles. A 2011 or 2012 is still about 20,000 to 25,000 so he will be at about a 7,000 to 12,000 difference plus supercharging the new 5.0 which is about 4,000 to 6,000 depending on brand. So after all is said and done your spending 11,000 to 18,000 on a new car when you can buy a new DSS LONG block for about 4,000 to 6,000 and twin system for about 4,000 to 6,000 and whoop on any supercharged 5.0 out there
Old 6/17/13, 01:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is my advice. There will always be something or someone faster. Enjoy your car and do what you want. If your wanting the fastest car out there then go for it. If you just looking to make a bit more power then add some mods.
Old 6/17/13, 02:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

All good suggestions guys.

I'm not concerned about getting my money back because I fully intend to keep the '06 forever or until I hand it down in the family. It actually holds some sentimental value for me as its Legend Lime and reminds me of my parents '68 Cougar in Lime Green or Frost I think it was called.

Its definitely my tinker car now as its not daily driven and has 105k on the odometer. I guess I'll just finish the suspension - sway bars, panhard brace, etc. Then see what the '15 looks like. If I get a '15 I won't mod the '06 big cause I'll need those funds. But if the '15 disappoints then shortbock and supercharger here we come!