GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Educate me on CAIs and MAFs

Search this Thread

Old 8/14/07, 03:11 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Did you ever find out if it ran richer than the stock intake ? my understanding is that K&N actually reduces their MAF smaller than stock, to be on the conservative side which may explain why your car ran so rich..However I'd much rather be on the rich side, than running way too lean and causing a potential detonation problem..Anyway I'm pleased that everything turned out for the best, and that your car is running much better since getting it tuned
My stock A/F was steady at just under 13.
The K&N after running on the car for a while was about 11.
I now run a little over 13 with the tune .
Old 8/14/07, 10:47 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,792 Posts
11 is definitely pig rich, which further explains how K&N's MAF design of reducing the housing size smaller than OEM ! doesn't require any re-tuning of the ECM..
Old 8/15/07, 08:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
which further explains how K&N's MAF design of reducing the housing size smaller than OEM ! doesn't require any re-tuning of the ECM..
Which is the same idea that C&L uses for their "no-tune" intake...
Old 8/15/07, 08:20 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LBJay
C&L claims their AF ratio stays normal throughout the entire band...at least that's what i'm hoping since i just ordered the no tune kit.
Old 8/15/07, 08:47 AM
Bullitt Member

In two months you'll be looking for a tune.....
Old 8/15/07, 12:18 PM
V6 Member

Not necessarily....

I have this on my car, sans tune. It just depends on what you want. I want NO hassles at the dealership. (at least not yet)
Attached Thumbnails Educate me on CAIs and MAFs-hpim0398.jpg  
Old 8/15/07, 12:30 PM
GT Member

Curious if anyone with the C&L Street kit who is using the no tune insert has dyno'd their car...i'm just hoping mine wakes up my exhaust a bit and gets me by for a few months (until my warranty expires) without a tune. As long as i don't have rough idle, CELs, ping, etc...i'll be thrilled...and if i do get a FEW extra ponies in the interim i can't say i'll be mad.
Old 8/18/07, 09:20 PM

Seems to me that C&L also borrowed a page from Airaid's venturi tube insert design as well, which reduces the MAF housing to 80mm (same as stock) can be used as a no-tune intake. However, once the insert is removed ? it must then be used, as a conventional tuned intake. IMHO ! both Airaid and C&L offer the best of both worlds, and would definitely recommend them as my non-tuned intakes of choice..
Old 8/19/07, 06:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Seems to me that C&L also borrowed a page from Airaid's venturi tube insert design as well, which reduces the MAF housing to 80mm (same as stock) can be used as a no-tune intake.
From reading C&L's page on the insert, my take is that it is actually a smaller diameter than the 80mm OEM. Their testing showed that to better optimize A/F ratio at WOT they need a MAF smaller than the stock one.

I also found these statements to interestingly honest.
We were convinced that offering an aftermarket intake assembly that utilizes a mass airflow section that is actually SMALLER than the stock unit would be a "hard sell",

After all, one of the FIRST questions that ANYONE asks when a new intake assembly is released is: How BIG is it???
Is a bigger MAF actually needed for a stock engine? It appears not, it just would be harder to sell to the "bigger is better crowd".
Old 8/19/07, 01:41 PM

From reading C&L's page on the insert, my take is that it is actually a smaller diameter than the 80mm OEM. Their testing showed that to better optimize A/F ratio at WOT they need a MAF smaller than the stock one.

I also found these statements to interestingly honest.

Is a bigger MAF actually needed for a stock engine? It appears not, it just would be harder to sell to the "bigger is better crowd".
From what you've read on C&L's page concerning the insert being smaller in diameter than the 80mm OEM ! would definitely make sense, especially when it comes down to better optimizing A/F ratio's at WOT. As reducing the diameter smaller than OEM ? would also seem to compensate for the additional airflow from both the S&B conical filter, and overall larger tube diameter ( downstream from the MAF housing ) If I were interested in a no-tune CAI ! I'd definitely choose the C&L because of their solid reputation, concerning both their dedication and commitment to R&D product testing..
Old 8/19/07, 05:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by jonztang
Not necessarily....

I have this on my car, sans tune. It just depends on what you want. I want NO hassles at the dealership. (at least not yet)

wow man, that looks sweet.... what is it? where did it come from? hp gains? tell me tell me
Old 8/20/07, 06:10 AM
V6 Member

http://www.wmsracing.com/wmsweb/05hvi.htm