GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Dyno & Tune cost?

Search this Thread

Old 10/20/05 | 09:45 AM
Cobra Member

Forgive me for being too lazy to do a search... but what does it cost, on average, to test and tune on a dyno? Hopefully soon, I will be getting my '06, and will be adding a twin screw huffer to it. I'm very apprehensive as to which avenue to take on this matter and don't have any idea what to expect as far as cost. I don't know what kind of boost one of these motors can safely handle for a daily driver/weekend racer, and I'd like to get a fine tune.... does each car require a custom tune? .. or do SCs usually come with a tune? I know that fuel delivery/management has to be up to snuff.... and I just want to know what to expect.
I see dudes posting results and dyno sheets.... but I'm wondering what this is costing them to get the results... parts aside.
Old 10/20/05 | 09:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

If you are putting that much money into upgrading you car. a custom tune will be a small fraction of the cost. Especially just for the piece of mind of having a custom tune and the a/f ratio right on. Tune will probably run a couple of hundred bucks. I hope that helps.
Michael
Old 10/20/05 | 10:04 AM
Cobra Member

It's helpful.. get's me into the ball park. I guess this also raises the question.... Is it as simple as a single visit? Do the shops usually have their S together and can do tune w/o damaging the motor? Is it as simple as sayin, 'ok, we're running 9# of boost, here's where we need to start and we can tweak here and there.' Or Is it completely stabbing in the dark until we find something that works? I've seen guys talkin' about shipping and or selling their flash file.... but is that specific to that application? Or is something like that going to be pretty much standard.... i.e. if it was tuned for someone's car running a centrifgal blower pushin' 8.5 peak psi, will it work for someone running a twin screw with the same boost. I'm guessing no because the power ranges are different... but that's why I'm asking.. maybe I'm over complicating it.
Old 10/20/05 | 11:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

sometimes it is not as simple as a single visit - mine had to be messed with a couple times recently on the Bassini X and Offroads - the AFR changed and needed adjusting and new O2 sensors to go with the new system - after that she is now shifting like a monster -

what a specific tune on one guy's car with a given setup - may not be " quite right " on your car with the same given setup - some cars are slightly different in tolerances and sweetness than others - everything from the rings to the intake.....so, the tune had to be done specific to yours for the best optimization....

power ranges an centrifical vs screw can be different.....

Old 10/20/05 | 12:26 PM
Bullitt Member

The place that will be doing my tuning has given me a rate of $100 an hour, which pays for the dyno and the outside tuner coming in for the tuning. That is really about the most reasonable price that I have seen. When I was doing research online for shops and pricing, I had seen some as expensive as $200-$250 per hour.

I am not doing any type of forced induction, so they have said it should take about an hour to get it done, or maybe 2, depending on how well we want to get the details hammered down. I do remember them saying that if I was going to use a forced induction, (supercharger/turbocharger), it takes quite a bit longer to work everything out.

As far as just running the car on the chassis dyno, that's not too expensive. The place I use charges $50 for 3 pulls, and it's an extra $15 if you want to monitor the Air/Fuel Ratio. However, searching online, I did see a lot of shops that were charging $80-90 for the same thing, so look around a little.
Old 10/20/05 | 12:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

My custom dyno tune cost $500 and it included an XCal2. The XCal2 is $375 by itself and the tune took just about 2 hours so I thought it was a real good price.
Old 10/20/05 | 03:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Here is a link to a place that does alot of Mustang business in my area. Their current price is $585 for the SCT Xcalibrator and that includes 3 tunes and dyno time. If you poke around their site you can get lots of info on what is involved, etc.

http://www.xxtuning.com/sctxx.html
Old 10/21/05 | 01:11 PM
Cobra Member

right on guys.... thanks for the info. It's not as bad as I expected.
Old 10/21/05 | 07:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by clintoris@October 20, 2005, 10:07 AM
It's helpful.. get's me into the ball park. I guess this also raises the question.... Is it as simple as a single visit? Do the shops usually have their S together and can do tune w/o damaging the motor? Is it as simple as sayin, 'ok, we're running 9# of boost, here's where we need to start and we can tweak here and there.' Or Is it completely stabbing in the dark until we find something that works? I've seen guys talkin' about shipping and or selling their flash file.... but is that specific to that application? Or is something like that going to be pretty much standard.... i.e. if it was tuned for someone's car running a centrifgal blower pushin' 8.5 peak psi, will it work for someone running a twin screw with the same boost. I'm guessing no because the power ranges are different... but that's why I'm asking.. maybe I'm over complicating it.
You have 860 post here so you know your way around here and like us can read so I would suggest you get off your lazy tass and locate the information rather than asking us to do it for you. If you were a newbe I would be glad to do it but you are not so go to work for yourself. No animosity intended!