GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Dumb Performance Question

Search this Thread

Old 9/5/05, 06:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was a Mustang fanatic back in the 70's-80's, but never really a "gear-head" (no-offense :worship: ). Now, 20 years later, (hence my userid), I have an opportunity to get back into Mustangs, and couldn't be happier with my '05 GT. I guess I've been domesticated pretty thoroughly, i.e. into home improvement, gardening, helping my kids with homework, going to church, etc. I'll occasionally romp on the gas of my GT a bit, but I am way too conscious of getting tickets, wasting expensive gas, acting like some goofy kid, or whatever, to really play with it. Yesterday at a family picnic, my car got a lot of attention. Younger guys there were asking me all kinds of performance questions that I couldn't answer, and I felt kinda dumb. One had a 1999 Camaro SS, with a 6-speed and an LS1 engine, whatever that is. He took me for a quick ride in it, and I must say I was speechless. :shock: My hair actually stood up, on my arms anyway, and I couldn't tell whether I was frightened, or enjoying some kind of adrenalin induced euphoria. Whatever it was, I LIKED it! His performance and handling was more than I have ever experienced. He said that all of the reports that he had read suggested that MY car would actually out-perform his! I have an automatic, but he said I should still be able to keep up with him. So, to get to the question, will my stock '05 GT do what his car will do, assuming I have the kahonas to ask that out of it? My God, no wonder you guys seemed addicted to performance. I've been babying my car because I don't want rock chips, and I want the tires to last, and I'm hoping that some cosmetic mods that I am doing will make it appropriate for some local car shows. Now I'm wondering if I'm not missing the whole point of having a GT. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but what ya think?
Old 9/5/05, 07:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll chime in, but some correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not a gear head by any stretch of the term, but I'm slowly learning. With some modifications the 05 GT will keep up with the LS1 (a corvette engine), but stock for stock the LS1 has a bit more power.

Pick up a CAI (C&L, JLT, or K&N) and a tuner (Predator or SCT) and your GT will definitely make your hair stand up. Eventually you won't be thinking about wasting gas. Actually I take that back, you'll be thinking about it, but it won't stop you from mashing the accelerator at every chance you get. I just filled up yesterday ($52!) and was doing some "spirited" driving this evening.

THE WHOLE POINT OF A GT IS TO NOT WORRY ABOUT GAS AND GO FAST!
Old 9/5/05, 07:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Ha. Liked your story. Know exactly what your talking about. I'm 48 in my mid life crisis (hence my name) and loving every minute of it. Reliving my youth now, just me and the wife. Finished putting our 2 kids through college, their doing great, I decided it was my turn now.

Best suggestion I could give you is get a Cold Air Intake (CAI) and the SCT2 Tuning Device with performance tunes. The difference with this mod and the factory setup is like night and day.

I got my C&L CAI and SCT2 from Doug at BamaChips. He is Awesome, I can Highly Recommend him. Best money I Ever Spent on this car. I can't stop smiling every time I drive the car now.
Old 9/5/05, 07:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

So you guys are saying that my stock GT will NOT do what that Camaro did? How close? I know, I know, just try it. I need to get over the "don't want to scratch my new car" thing.
It's been more than 24 hours. I can still feel it. My wife can't imagine me wanting to modify a perfectly good, brand new car just to make it look "cool". I can't afford to have a performance bug as well. However, I do have the RKS California Dream Hood on order, and I am wondering just how to make it actually functional. I know the easiest way would be a CAI, but RKS says "cut a hole in the top of your air box." I think not! The air goes UP through the filter. A hole will just bypass the filter completely. I like the idea of that WMS intake that is centered in front of the engine. I would have to modify the hood to center the air hole, though.

PS I got no mid-life-crisis goin' on yet, but if costs of modifying this car get outta hand, I may be creating one!
Old 9/5/05, 08:08 PM
Big Falken Tires

I echo the CAI and TUNE thing - especially Doug from Bamachips - everyone with an auto he has done a tune for can;t stop raving about it - as soon as he is back from helping out in NO I am gonna get my Xcal 2 and tune from him.

I am not sure I understand your rationale about the air filter - if you get the JLT or C&L, being a nice round filter, it will take in air from underneath but also from up top as well - right where the RK sport hood vents dump the incoming air I'd call that functional.

Funny- I was looking at yourplanned mods - must be on the same wavelength - I already have the RK Sport CD hood and CDC classic chin spoiler - and my SSE ducktail is about three feet from me, painted, just waiting to go on the car.

Can't wait to see pics!

(and trust me - I knew next to NOTHING about cars - owning this Stang has made me learn alot though!)
Old 9/5/05, 08:26 PM
Cobra R Member

We are not supermen in our GTs even though we would like to think so. There are going to be cars that blow us off including almost any car from the muscle car era. My warmed over Impala would blow off my GT without even straining and the GT has several speed/prwer mods. Just don't be blown off by a ricer. :nono:
Old 9/5/05, 08:32 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Mongoose@September 5, 2005, 8:29 PM
We are not supermen in our GTs even though we would like to think so. There are going to be cars that blow us off including almost any car from the muscle car era. My warmed over Impala would blow off my GT without even straining and the GT has several speed/prwer mods. Just don't be blown off by a ricer. :nono:

or a new GTO................................ :bang:
Old 9/5/05, 08:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I have an automatic, and after installing the JLT CAI and tune, it is SOOOOO much quicker. As stated before, it is like night and day. If you don't do anything else performance wise, do this. Oh, and may I add myself to the go for the Bamachips tune list.
Old 9/5/05, 09:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Another question from a newbie. Does a CAI and tune void any part of the warranty? I can't get over how I felt in that Camaro. I'd kinda like to experience that again. (And I'm not about to buy a Camaro). The excitement was probably heightened by being a passenger. It always seems scarier and like you're going faster when you're not in control of a vehicle. And yes, the CAI does make the RK hood functional. I was just asking RK if they'd make an upsidedown air box that sucks from above. Shouldn't that be simple? This CAI and tune thing, if warranty remains intact, sounds like a lot more fun, though, just intimidating. Burke, you already have the hood, and it looks maaahvelous. What'ya think about blocking the factory opening (screw some sheet metal on?) and cutting a hole in the middle of the underside for that WMS intake? I just like that short, straight shot for the air to go through. It seems logical, and no big deal to move the radiator overflow tank. Is the hood scoop ducting in the right position? From what I read, you don't even need a tune for that intake? ( I guess I'm nervous making mods I don't fully understand.) Thanks for your comments, guys!

Edit: I got my spoilers and stripes already, Burke. I even have the body shop lined up. I'm just waiting on the hood, which is supposed to be shipped this Friday (9th). They created a whole batch of hoods with uneven squirter holes, so I am on backorder. :bang:
Old 9/6/05, 07:40 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Mongoose@September 5, 2005, 8:29 PM

Not many stock muscle cars from any era would bet then new GT. Now of course how many people have left them stock?
Old 9/6/05, 08:14 AM
Cobra Member

My Mustang is pretty much stock, I don't know how much more enjoyment you can get out of 20-30 more flywheel HP, which is what the car you rode in had, unless it was modded.

From a standing stop, I romped on it and I literally felt like that feeling you get when your jumping off the high dive board into a pool but your afraid of hights. The car will blow you away if you drive it as it was intended to be driven. They don't put 300hp 320tq engines in coupes so you can diddle your way to work at 35mph.

Now there is the passenger factor, because your not steadying yourself with the steering wheel and planting your feet, you will get alot more of the speed effect from the passenger seat than when driving, but your car is very capable and willing to make the goose bumps raise up on your arms and make you smile like a fool if you give it a chance.

No mods needed at all.
Old 9/6/05, 09:31 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by nynvolt@September 6, 2005, 7:17 AM
My Mustang is pretty much stock, I don't know how much more enjoyment you can get out of 20-30 more flywheel HP, which is what the car you rode in had, unless it was modded.

From a standing stop, I romped on it and I literally felt like that feeling you get when your jumping off the high dive board into a pool but your afraid of hights. The car will blow you away if you drive it as it was intended to be driven. They don't put 300hp 320tq engines in coupes so you can diddle your way to work at 35mph.

Now there is the passenger factor, because your not steadying yourself with the steering wheel and planting your feet, you will get alot more of the speed effect from the passenger seat than when driving, but your car is very capable and willing to make the goose bumps raise up on your arms and make you smile like a fool if you give it a chance.

No mods needed at all.
9-volt, Very well said...!!!

Mongoose, C'mon now - I have a hard time believing that any Impala can run consistent mid-13's on street tires without having it highly modded with lotsa compression, thirsty carburetor, low 4.56 gears, power adder, etc. And if you throw in any kind of curves or turns, forget about it...those things are huge boats!
Old 9/6/05, 10:15 AM
Big Falken Tires

Originally posted by backafter20@September 5, 2005, 9:49 PM
Another question from a newbie. Does a CAI and tune void any part of the warranty? I can't get over how I felt in that Camaro. I'd kinda like to experience that again. (And I'm not about to buy a Camaro). The excitement was probably heightened by being a passenger. It always seems scarier and like you're going faster when you're not in control of a vehicle. And yes, the CAI does make the RK hood functional. I was just asking RK if they'd make an upsidedown air box that sucks from above. Shouldn't that be simple? This CAI and tune thing, if warranty remains intact, sounds like a lot more fun, though, just intimidating. Burke, you already have the hood, and it looks maaahvelous. What'ya think about blocking the factory opening (screw some sheet metal on?) and cutting a hole in the middle of the underside for that WMS intake? I just like that short, straight shot for the air to go through. It seems logical, and no big deal to move the radiator overflow tank. Is the hood scoop ducting in the right position? From what I read, you don't even need a tune for that intake? ( I guess I'm nervous making mods I don't fully understand.) Thanks for your comments, guys!

Edit: I got my spoilers and stripes already, Burke. I even have the body shop lined up. I'm just waiting on the hood, which is supposed to be shipped this Friday (9th). They created a whole batch of hoods with uneven squirter holes, so I am on backorder. :bang:
From what I remember about how the vents run, you would have to do more than simply close off the stock opening - you would literally have to internally block the main channel just past the driver side vent and then cut near the leading edge of the hood to get the air where you want it - and off the top of my head, I am not sure you you could or would even WANT to be cutting the hood in this spot....

I can undertsand your rationale but look at it THIS way - look at the gains and performance people are getting with the new CAIs in the stock airbox spot with NO added venting - just with the stock hood. The air you get with your new hood won;t be as direct as you weant but it will help and just be gravy with your CAI.
Old 9/6/05, 11:08 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by nynvolt@September 6, 2005, 8:17 AM
No mods needed at all.
Really good stuff. I was gonna add that it doesn't sound like your car (backafter20) isn't being driven very close to the limit right now anyway.

Might be much wiser to spend more time, when you can, exploring the upper ranges of the performance envelope with it as-is (and safely), before spending money and effort. You may be pleasantly suprised, and also, you'll appreciate any mods even more since you'll have a better feel of what the stock car is like. And you'll give your skills a little time to adapt as well.....no offense but you get the point right?

You also mention that this guy's Chevy was equipped with a 6-speed manual trans, right?

Without starting any auto-vs-manual wars, I'll submit that a manual-equipped car "feels" more impressive from a performance standpoint, 'specially from the passenger seat. Power transfer is direct, and the drivetrain backlash when taking your foot OFF the gas also conveys a feeling of....how can you say it....just plain good ol' rude ROMPINESS that few auto trans' can match. Just feels TIGHT and mean. Especially shifting (somewhat sloppy) under heavy accelleration...head jerks forward as foot comes off the gas and clutch goes in...snaps back when clutch comes out with the gas nailed in the next gear.....

What with all that going on when you're in the passenger seat, and the factors that nynvolt mentioned above, heck yeah it's no surprise the thing felt like a beast. Ask him his quarter-mile time next chance you get and it may be pretty close to what your car can do, tho!
Old 9/6/05, 12:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

I wanted to mod mine, but the thought of something going wrong versus being slightly faster than a few cars on the road didn't appeal to me. It's rare that any1 will challenge me now, why bother making it any faster. Plus the majority of time I drive the car is during rush hour which is too dangerous to race.

Maybe 5-10years down the road when/if I need a new car I will tinker with this monster.:-)
Old 9/6/05, 02:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, I really appreciate the great feedback. I am definately NOT driving my car for performance. I am probably wasting a good GT, at least until now. I swear that there was some cosmic force preventing me from having any opportunity to romp on it today while coming home from work. Lotsa traffic. I am planning cosmetic mods and hoping for a nice hobby taking my car to local car shows. We have a lot of roads around here that are maintained by a yearly coating of rock chips. The rocks all get scattered to the ditches within a few weeks, but you never know when you'll hit something and chip your paint. Other cars are always kicking up rocks as well. :bang: It makes it tough to keep a car pristine.
As far as wanting to add performance mods, all I really wanted to do was make my RK CD hood truly functional. I am sure that I have enough horsepower as the car is, unless I get addicted to performance like so many here have. A CAI and tune are probably as far as I will ever go, but no one answered my other question. Will that affect the warranty at all? Surely everyone isn't tuning their cars and voiding the warranty?
I agree that I would need to develop my driving skill. There is no way I could have handled that Camaro so well. (Sorry to say Camaro so many times in one thread.) Thanks!
Old 9/6/05, 03:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Dang man!!!! :bang:

Go get that Camaro dude, toss him the keys, hop in the passenger seat and tell him to drive it like he stole it . . . . you ain't gettin' any younger . . . enjoy your ride while you can . . . . tomorrow may be too late.
Old 9/6/05, 03:07 PM
Cobra Member

Hey Jim.... it's gonna be tough to make that hood direct ram into the T-body like you're talking about. I've thought long and hard about it and the biggest hangup is filtering the air. Unless I can figure out how to use the setup on a Trans Am ... like an '02 TA with Ram Air...
I don't know. Then there's relocating the MAF and associated wiring.... It would behoove RKSport to build all this stuff themselves.. but it's easy for me to say since I don't have the equipment to fabricate this stuff myself.
If you don't wantt o cut the factory air box to make the ram air functional, the CAI that FRPP is coming out with is open on the top, or can be opened on the top, which will do that hood nicely.... it's actually nearly identical to another manufacturer's that has a plexiglass window so that you can see the filter. Some have argued it's for the ricer effect, and others have said it's so you can see how dirty your filter is getting.... either way, that plexiglass cover unscrews and opens right under the duct from that hood. .... somethin' to look into in the mean time.... until we get the true ram air figured out for ya.
One day, when I actually have my new GT, I'll be putting a blower on it, and it might be a little easier to figure out something then.
As far as being a little apprehensive to drive her hard.... that'll wear off. If you're concerned about rock chips.... as much as I hate to say this, get some moulded mud flaps for it. (just shoot me now... I can't believe I suggested that to someone.)
I can't answer your question as to what luck people have had with warranty and flash tuning their cars.... I know there are some companies that make a flash tune that will not ghost your CPU when you go back to a stock tune.... for example, if you're going to take it in for warranty work, or whatever. At least this holds true for the Powerstrokes. A lot of people will tune those, and they can easily be set back to factory settings, and it's undetectable... look into it. perhaps someone here can enlighten us both on this matter.
Anyways... drive it like you stole it.... life's too short not to have fun.
Old 9/6/05, 03:10 PM
Cobra Member

Forgot to add http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/magnusonmoss.htm this should help you see what will and will not void your warrenty. If your still worried call and ask your dealerships service manager.
Old 9/6/05, 03:11 PM
Cobra Member

Here's the Ford Racing CAI

Quick Reply: Dumb Performance Question