GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Driveline vibration at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 3/21/11, 10:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gtpony325
Sucks to hear that the dealer cant figure out your problem. I wouldnt go changing to a 3.73 just to get rid of the vibration. My friend has an 07 gt with 4.10s and doesnt have any vibration at all. But with my 3.73 i had a really bad whine during the deceleration that turned out to be a scratch on the pinion bearing. That could be something you could look into. Other than that you seem to have some ideas on what you can try
It's more a harmonic then a vibration, a humming/rumble type sound like when you hit those sleeper strips on the side of the road. It's always worse once the car is warm too, which would seem to coincide with the diff heating up. I just realized I've been running factory gear oil since the last two sets went in, perhaps the oil is getting overheated and loosing some viscosity. I don't remember this issue when I had the first set and was running royal purple. Probably a stretch but I will be changing it out after break in anyway, maybe it'll help.
Old 3/24/11, 09:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Gear noise suppression system ready for install!
Attached Thumbnails Driveline vibration at highway speeds-photo.jpg  
Old 3/24/11, 09:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That should definately dull down the gear noise. And possibly wake the neighbors lol
Old 3/24/11, 09:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Special delivery for the kid with the fart can next door!

Tim
Old 3/24/11, 11:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Thats one way to get back at him. I put a coffee can around the exhaust tip on my neighbors civic civic and it was 3 days before he noticed. I usually dont mess with someones car but he used an entire roll of plastic wrap on my stang. So i think i still lost in that little prank war but i felt good about it
Old 3/25/11, 08:22 AM
GT Member

It won't help you, but I also have some slight resonance at 70'ish mph but with the stock rear-end since I bought the car. It's not as bad with someone in the car, so it seem to be related to the driveshaft angle or something like that. I was upset initially when I bought the car, but the dealership seemed to be so clueless about figuring it out that I left it alone and enjoyed the car. It seemed to have gotten a bit better since then, and I don't think about it or even pay any attention to it anymore.
Old 3/25/11, 03:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by sycd
It won't help you, but I also have some slight resonance at 70'ish mph but with the stock rear-end since I bought the car. It's not as bad with someone in the car, so it seem to be related to the driveshaft angle or something like that. I was upset initially when I bought the car, but the dealership seemed to be so clueless about figuring it out that I left it alone and enjoyed the car. It seemed to have gotten a bit better since then, and I don't think about it or even pay any attention to it anymore.
Actually that helps quite a bit Sycd, thanks for the input.

Tim
Old 3/25/11, 05:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
crank the radio up and enjoy the hell out of the thing. <-------this will werk! Just wondering if you feel the vibration under power only or does it still do it when you hit N? Maybe try to find a shop dedicated to just rear end rebuilds and the like and have them check things out..... but F all that and go back to my first sentence
Old 4/11/11, 06:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well I'm happy to report after 300 miles with the new axle and gears (still breaking in) the vibe seems to be gone. There *may* be some minuscule remnant of it back there, or that could just be the new exhaust rumble. In any case I'm planning to do a gear oil change with RP at 500 miles then I'm going to let her rip. For the time being I'm willing to bet I have one of the quietest rear ends out there, or at least the car does!

Thanks to all for the advice, tips, support and even your own horror stories.

Tim