GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

DragRacing 101 For Newbies

Search this Thread

Old 9/4/07, 04:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doug: Me and my dad might be going again this coming Tuesday night. They are having a Street Tire Shootout. Should be interesting and fun.
Old 9/14/07, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by geezerbutler
I was upset when I went to the track 2 weeeks ago for the 1st time in my life.

I read in either Motor Trend or Road & Track that the stock Mustang GT had a 1/4 time of 13.0 secs.

I ran in the 14's in all 4 runs.

I came back home and looked at the magazine again and realized I was looking at the wrong column.

Their speed for the stock GT in the 1/4 was 13.7 secs.

I went back the next week after installing my brenspeed tune and got my 1/4 time down to 13.88.

Maybe with skill, luck, and this thread you will run in the 13's to begin with.
hey, if you want to see somthing embarrassing, go to gt performance and tech and timeslip thread and stock times.... haha that really makes u sound bad. lol

heres the link...
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=45270
Old 9/16/07, 05:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have one tip ......Get gears when you put bigger tires on
Old 9/23/07, 03:10 PM

Agreed!
Old 9/28/07, 09:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Read through the thread today,found a backroad and burned some rubber ! Great fun and something I hadn't done in this car before. Guess the kid still lives inside us old farts !
Old 10/5/07, 09:56 AM
V6 Member

well.. I have few questions

When u guys say remove all extra weight.. does that include the spare tire ? because I will be running street tires and removing it will be a problem for traction.

and what tires run best for stock diffrential. ?
Old 4/4/08, 08:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pop my Cherry

I did every thing wrong!

First run was a 15.5 bog down!
next run (still stupid) 13.604

can't wait til next time at the track! after reading this thread
Old 4/16/08, 02:13 PM

7 As you are rolling up to the water box,Go around it.Not thru it.

lol, good call!!!
Old 5/31/08, 08:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I appreciate all this knowledge, very generously shared, and no doubt won at considerable expense. Thank y'all.

I'd like to add an observation about burnouts on street tires: it depends.

My experience with the stock GT Pirellis (on my V6 automatic convertible) was that burnouts were not worth the effort, and the water was disastrous. On the other tires, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s, I found that rear wheel spin (just the one - no limited slip) was reduced considerably by a decent smoke cloud. Got lots of giggles from the onlookers, but they didn't have the timeslips to compare runs, nor the seat-of-pants sensations that added to my conviction. I always drove around the water when possible, and to be candid, I didn't perceive or record any difference with the Michelins, when trying it for the record.

Another suggestion: if you need to practice launches, go to the RaceLegal eighth-mile drags at Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego. The track is seldom as well-prepared as others, from what I've heard, but it's decent, usually, and just fifty feet or so above sea level.

Gates open at 6:00 PM (if you get there at six you'll find tech open and be maybe twentieth in line), and until 8:00 the heavy hitters are still primping - I mean PREPPING - their cars, so it's four lanes, nearly no waiting.

Last night I was maybe the tenth car to make a run, and between the first one at 18:47:48 and the last at 21:19:14 had made fourteen runs, learning something on each one. Came in at about two bucks a run. Premium fun, pauper payment.

Last edited by frank s; 5/31/08 at 08:46 PM.
Old 7/21/08, 02:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

New guys you can't do much worse than this guy.
http://jalopnik.com/398949/how-not-t...?autoplay=true
Old 7/23/08, 12:39 PM
GT Member

Alright guys I'm brand new to drag racing at a track, but my sil wants to race me with his Dodge Charger SRT8.
I have a basily stock 2007 GTCS with an Auto. I know, I know, but my knee didn't like the clutch anymore.

Couple of questions:
1) Can I beat him or make a race out of it.

2) With an auto should I shift or let the tranny do it? Remember I'm new at this.

PS: I have auto crossed raced with my GTCS and it's a ball.

Thanks
kennymustang
Old 7/24/08, 10:45 PM

Any suggestions for running stock 20" tires on SC Saleen? I will grab drag radials at some point but would like to run in street trim at test-n-tunes for now, without looking like I'm on black ice. One fella told me to launch at 1750 rpm, but it didn't help much. Should I just be more patient and ease into the throttle through 2nd gear? There's something entirely wrong about running 14's in this car.

PS If you laugh too, then they're laughing WITH you, not AT you! LMAO
Old 8/4/08, 09:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by kennymustang

2) With an auto should I shift or let the tranny do it? Remember I'm new at this.
+1 and a little more info on the launch for an auto please
Old 9/2/08, 09:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
New guys you can't do much worse than this guy.
http://jalopnik.com/398949/how-not-t...?autoplay=true
Old 1/9/09, 11:05 PM

This thread is actually pretty helpful.
Old 1/10/09, 06:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

I just wanted to add my 2 cents. I am a complete noob when it comes to the track, took my first pass late fall last year. That was my first pass EVER on a track.

The information on here is invaluable, excellent job everyone sharing your wisdom and experience. The only thing I would add/repeat is after you get all this information processed, the BEST mod you can do for your car at the track is the driver mod. All this great information can only be helpful with seat time. Seat time will do two things for you.

First, you get to know your car. Everyone here has a car that reacts differently to what you do. The better you know your car, the more successful you'll be.

The second part of seat time, at least for me, was that it helped me to get all the anticipation and excitement out. I can't tell you how many times I went to the line and had a million things going through my head. Once you get comfortable, you can concentrate on one part of your pass at a time. Work on your launch only, or perfect your shift points, get that 60' time down.

Like I said, I'm a noob, but I've learned alot in the short time I've been racing, mostly how to apply the information I got here.
Old 11/21/09, 10:20 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Reading through this before my annual track run this year, one quick question I didn't see specifically answered. On streets and w/ a manual, TCS on or off?
Old 11/30/09, 10:08 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BIG THANK YOU to John, for finding this thread for me, **** this site is getting so big, with so many sub forums, the darn search engine just laughs now when I try to use it.

Anyway glad I got here. Got my FOX finally ready for the track (Gave up trying to sell it, so thought I'd just use it up, re-living my hay days) :-)
Old 7/2/10, 01:46 AM
GT Member

Okay, so Wednesday I went to a CSP sponsored track day at Bandimere. It was my first time driving at that track, and the first time driving at ANY track in about 25 years. The 05 has a 91 octane DS tune, Mac CAI, FRPP x-pipe and exhaust, stock 3.55 gears. The track is at 5800 ft, it was about 85 all day with between 30-40 percent humidity and all times listed here are uncorrected (does everyone here list uncorrected or corrected times?). I run stock wheels with stock P Zero's up front and 255/45 Firestone Firehawks out back. I made six runs, two of which I aborted because I missed the 1-2 powershift (yeah, it sucks to do that....) but the other four were pretty decent. I left the spare in place but removed the jack and roadside kit I had in the car.

1st run : 15.1, TCS on, son in car, cooler of pop in car, tips scales at 4000 even.
2nd run: 14.7, TCS off, just me, scales at 3800 lbs....yep, I'm fat AND old......
3rd run: 20.2, missed the 1-2 and why bother.....
4th run: 14.8, TCS off, just me.
5th run: 16.2, muffed the shift but picked it back up so I could beat the 20 sec Volvo, 'cause I still gotta little pride........
6th run: 14.8, TCS off, just me, actually might have been quicker but I shifted to fourth about 50 feet from the finish for some stupid reason.......

So here's some things I learned:
1) I gotta get sticky tires if I'm gonna go back. I drove around the water box every time and short hopped it up to the line a couple of times, but I swear the first 30 feet I was spinning rubber. I got my best times launching at 5k and shifting at 6k, but I'm betting good rubber will net me a couple tenths with reduced 60 foot times.
2) It's a long way to 2nd gear. I think I missed my shifts because I didn't get the shifter into second before my foot came off the clutch.....but don't seem to have that issue from 2-3 or 3-4, so don't know if it's mental or if a short throw shifter is worth the investment....
3) I can't cut a good light yet, but I gotta practice more.....
4) I used this calculator just to see corrected times....but don't really know how accurate it is, supposed to use formula that NHRA uses, but not sure.....if anyone knows of a better one, chime in....http://www.wallaceracing.com/convert-et-to-msa.php....my best corrected time, according to this, is 13.75.....
5) Never let a 17yo be your photographer, if you actually want pics of YOUR car going down the track....I got 5....little ones......with most of my car in them........and some lovely pics of the track tractors, some vettes, Ford GT, GT500, and some teen chicks........
Old 7/2/10, 02:00 AM
GT Member

By the way, for you low landers who've never been to a high altitude track, here's what some of the competition was running......
Stock 2008 Bentley Continental......14.5's....driver might've been noob, but he made 6-7 passes and didn't get much better.....
Stock 2010 SS Camaro's: Every one there that was stock ran low 15's high 14's.
Modded 2010 Camaro's" Couple running mid 13s, know that exhaust was modded but not what else.
Stock GT500, 2008: 13.5's at first, high 12's at the end.
Two modded (1 blown, 1 nitrous) vettes in the mid 11s
Stock STI's: mid 14s to low 15s
some modded Subbies running mid 12s....and I mean heavily modded.
2010 ZX10R: 10.7
2009 Vmax, modded: 11.5
2007 R6: 12.5
There were lots of others all over the time range, but this gives you a good idea of what cars are running uncorrected at 5800 feet......

Quick Reply: DragRacing 101 For Newbies