GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

does frpp/borla exhaust stick out more on auto than manual?

Search this Thread

Old 10/12/06, 04:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does frpp/borla exhaust stick out more on auto than manual?

sorry if this is a repost. did a search and didnt find anything. i just installed my frpp/stinger exhaust yesterday. i have an auto tranny car.

does the exhaust tips of the frpp/borla stingers stick out more on the auto than on the manual tranny cars? i have seen pics of the manual tranny cars and it seems the tips dont stick out as far as mine. not sure if it is a difference in the lengths of the exhaust, or if i somehow didnt install it right.

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.
Old 10/12/06, 04:27 PM
Bullitt Member

I cant say for sure, but I would be very surprised if there was a difference. The transmission has no effect on the mounting locations for the exhaust. The bolts still go in the same place.
Old 10/12/06, 04:29 PM

mine stick out a little more than the stock one's and i have a manual 5-speed.
Old 10/12/06, 04:30 PM
GT Member

I also have the FRPP/Borla's and a auto and yes they do stick out just a bit more than the factory exhaust!
Old 10/12/06, 08:16 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by one_mean_marine
I also have the FRPP/Borla's and a auto and yes they do stick out just a bit more than the factory exhaust!
same here
Old 10/12/06, 08:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine stick out more also. I have an auto tranny.

Not to hijack here but...how did you guys get the clamps tight enough?
Old 10/12/06, 08:40 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Jimp

loosen the mid pipe clamps first adjust ,then tighten axle back clamps
Old 10/12/06, 08:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Jimp

I cranked and cranked on them with a long handle ratchet and eventually a breaker bar until I was sure I would strip them if I tightened them any more. And they STILL leaked. I finally removed the mufflers and used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel to cut relief slots about 2" long in the pipe that slips over the exhaust pipe. Problem solved, they tightened quite easily with no leaking after that. The problem is the FRPP pipes are slightly too big! They cannot be tightened properly without some leaking.
Old 10/12/06, 10:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just had mine installed by the dealer, stick out less that 2". Just enough to see the Ford racing logo.
Also the clamps look different than the rest of the clamps, look like they have a block inbetween (?) Will post some pics this weekend.
Old 10/12/06, 10:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

ok, thanks guys. i wont worry about it then. taco bill's exhaust comes to mind and his was pretty much flush with the bumper... so i thought i did something wrong. mine definately stick out more than his

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...15&postcount=1
Old 10/12/06, 11:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Yes the only way the tips stick out further or shorter is by the adjustment of the pipes and axlebacks. I have installed them shorter, and longer, just have too loosen more clamps than the axle back. adjust the hpipe etc if you want them in further or vice versa, also can make adj to the axle backs. Its not an exact science. There are not stops or anything on the hpipe, so its just by touch.
Old 10/12/06, 11:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Dougxox
Just had mine installed by the dealer, stick out less that 2". Just enough to see the Ford racing logo.
Also the clamps look different than the rest of the clamps, look like they have a block inbetween (?) Will post some pics this weekend.
Mine also.
Old 10/12/06, 11:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Tres Wright
I cranked and cranked on them with a long handle ratchet and eventually a breaker bar until I was sure I would strip them if I tightened them any more. And they STILL leaked. I finally removed the mufflers and used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel to cut relief slots about 2" long in the pipe that slips over the exhaust pipe. Problem solved, they tightened quite easily with no leaking after that. The problem is the FRPP pipes are slightly too big! They cannot be tightened properly without some leaking.
I'll bet you had the clamp in the wrong location because that is what happens when they are not correct
Old 10/17/06, 11:38 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Mongoose
I'll bet you had the clamp in the wrong location because that is what happens when they are not correct
No, that wasn't the problem. It's hard to explain, but I'll try. There is a factory relief cut in the Borla pipe that slips over the factory exhaust pipe. There is no gap in this relief cut, so the pipe cannot compress properly. If you keep tightening down on the clamp, eventually the pipe will overlap itself at this relief cut. This creates a small gap inside the exhaust pipe (between the Borla pipe and factory pipe) and that is where it leaks. Regardless of how much more you tighten the clamp, that gap will not go away because it is metal overlapping metal. The only way around it is to make a relief cut that has enough width to it (about 1/8") to allow the pipe to compress properly. I would bet that anyone that hasn't done this has a leak and doesn't realize it. You cannot detect the leak at idle, the engine needs to be revved.
Old 10/17/06, 03:06 PM
Bullitt Member

what are the consequences of a leak? I really tightened mine down, did not cut a relief line, and thought I was all good. HOw can you tell if you have a leak and what problems will it cause?
Old 10/17/06, 03:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Where do you make the relief cut?
Old 10/20/06, 08:44 AM
V6 Member

I drilled a hole in my stock clamps large enough to go over the notch on the stock midpipe and also opened the reliefs up on the stingers so they slip up on the mid-pipe further.

This allowed me to get them to where the tips stick out about a quarter of an inch past the bumper cover and the holes in the clamps allowed me to tighten them up good.
Old 10/20/06, 09:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

My frpp exhaust tips stick out almost an inch too much. So i need to move them in one inch.

Which of the 2 solutions is easiest or preferred....
(1) loosen both the h-pipe and axle backs and re-adjust everything
(2) remove the axle backs and cut the relief so that i can slide the muffler farther onto the over-axle pipe?

I noticed that my frpp tips stuck out a bit too much when installed them, but i figured i was just nitpicking. After reading this thread I am more aware of them.

I am leaning towards (1), i'm hoping I will be able to find an extra inch of slack to remove, just by readjusting everything.
Old 10/20/06, 11:34 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by neil07gt
My frpp exhaust tips stick out almost an inch too much. So i need to move them in one inch.

Which of the 2 solutions is easiest or preferred....
(1) loosen both the h-pipe and axle backs and re-adjust everything
(2) remove the axle backs and cut the relief so that i can slide the muffler farther onto the over-axle pipe?

I noticed that my frpp tips stuck out a bit too much when installed them, but i figured i was just nitpicking. After reading this thread I am more aware of them.

I am leaning towards (1), i'm hoping I will be able to find an extra inch of slack to remove, just by readjusting everything.
try adjusting first before you cut anything