GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Do I Need An Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 12/1/06, 06:25 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Also like this, I have talked to a couple of guy's that are running around 450rwhp with an intercooled supercharger ( all stock internal's). Wouldn't that be about the same as running 350 rwhp without the intercooler, or am I just crazy
Old 12/1/06, 06:30 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2005sonicgt
I have the money for the intercooler , I just don't think I want 400 rwhp. I would be really happy with 350rwhp, that's my whole point on not wanting the intercooler because I don't think I would need it with 350 at the wheels. If I want more power later I will get the intercooler................. can you smell what i'm cookin?

If you only want 350 rwhp, this is possible while staying N/A. You can get a set of heads and cams, which have become readily available in the recent months, a set of LT's, UDP's, and if that doesn't get you there...F.A.S.T. is coming out with their Intake Manifold pretty soon, and with the addition to that, you should easily make 350 rwhp and it will be more reliable than a 5psi non-intercooled S/C.

Just some things to consider.

Also, once you get a taste of 400+ rwhp, you'll want more. Trust me!
Old 12/1/06, 07:25 PM
V6 Member

Obviously 350 rwhp is not the same as 450 rwhp, and while the percentage difference is not huge, and the 0-60 difference is not huge, the difference in the way the car "feels" is massive. Think; spinning tires at will, slamming your head into the headrest, etc... I've also got to disagree with S197 GT, getting a true 350 rwhp naturally aspirated is NOT easier (or cheaper) or more reliable than slapping on a low output Vortech. I know because I had one of the top mustang shops do the following;
o JBA Long tube headers
o JBA High flow cats
o FRPP "quiet" mufflers
o Underdrive pulley system
o Cold air kit with "Trueflow" inlet pipe
o FRPP 3.73 Ring & Pinion
o Steeda Charge motion control delete kit
o SHM ported and polished stage 1.5 heads
o FRPP Spark plugs M-12405-3V0 (one heat range colder than stock)

And only achieved 321 rwhp (note however that it's a 91 octane tune and that rwhp is dead accurate, I've reproduced it at 3 different places). This process cost about twice as much as a Vortech, even more than that if you consider that I could have installed the vortech myself in an afternoon... If I had gone with strong valve springs, big cams and ramped the RPM up to 7000+ I could have hit 350. But that would have cost even more and reliability would be worse than the non intercooled vortech.

My main point is; The low output kit is NOT just a non-intercooled big vortech kit. It's a smaller low output compressor giving less air and less heat. This means it's got similar reliability than the full intercooled kit, and it's NOT easily upgradable to the full kit. If you think you'll want more power in the future keep saving your pennies and buy a full kit later on.
Old 12/2/06, 01:27 AM
Cobra R Member

Go intercooled...power is like a drug - the more you get, the more you want !
Old 12/2/06, 10:22 AM
Cobra Member

My main point is; The low output kit is NOT just a non-intercooled big vortech kit. It's a smaller low output compressor giving less air and less heat. This means it's got similar reliability than the full intercooled kit, and it's NOT easily upgradable to the full kit. If you think you'll want more power in the future keep saving your pennies and buy a full kit later on.

Actually, it IS an easily upgradable kit.. I did it!..The compressor unit is exactly the same, injectors are the same, all components are the same.. Only additional components you get are the cooler, heat exchanger, different predator with an adjusted tune etc...Its NO BIG DEAL to upgrade later if you want.
Old 12/2/06, 07:02 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

^^^^
Old 12/2/06, 07:02 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Also like this, I have talked to a couple of guy's that are running around 450rwhp with an intercooled supercharger ( all stock internal's). Wouldn't that be about the same as running 350 rwhp without the intercooler, or am I just crazy

What I meant by this was wouldn't the risk of detonation and the temp's be the same with a 350 rwhp non intercooled supercharger and a 450 rwhp intercooled supercharger. I know the power wouldn't be the same.
Old 12/2/06, 09:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

What I meant by this was wouldn't the risk of detonation and the temp's be the same with a 350 rwhp non intercooled supercharger and a 450 rwhp intercooled supercharger. I know the power wouldn't be the same.
I think you have a pretty valid point there. The point I was trying to make in my post earlier was having the extra padding of safety, which you can really do at 350 rwhp. Having a car you worry about is not fun. If you go intercooled and start jacking the boost up, you are in the same boat again, just a faster one.
Old 12/3/06, 04:08 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by ttbit
I think you have a pretty valid point there. The point I was trying to make in my post earlier was having the extra padding of safety, which you can really do at 350 rwhp. Having a car you worry about is not fun. If you go intercooled and start jacking the boost up, you are in the same boat again, just a faster one.
That's what I wanted to hear , now it's between paxton and vortech
Old 12/3/06, 05:32 PM
V6 Member

It looks like I was wrong about the Vortech. I apologize about the possible miss-information, lord knows there's already enough noise on these boards... But I'm definitly not wrong about the Paxton, it says so right on their website, that's to say that the low output and the high output kits use two different compressor units. So while you can put an interooler on the low output that won't make it equivalent to the high output.
Personally I went for the high output, If you use their supplied pulley and don't try to push more power out of it, it should be reliable. Has ANYONE heard of ANY Vortech/Paxton S/C'd engines blowing at base pressure in a Mustang??
Old 12/3/06, 05:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
If you want to look at Paxton, call Brenspeed as they sell a LOT of Paxton kits. They're mainly all 'cooled, but I'm sure they could work it for you without if that's what you want.
Old 2/23/07, 08:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey Adam, have you bought anything yet???
Old 2/23/07, 08:59 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Hey Tom, I am waiting for a call back from a local shop because I might be getting hooked up on a paxton 2200. If not i'll be ordering the paxton 2200 from brenspeed

Trust me i'll be letting everybdy know when it goes down
Old 2/23/07, 09:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Cool man! We were all hot and heavy on blowers there back before the holidays........ just thought I'd check in with you.
Old 2/23/07, 09:05 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Cool man! We were all hot and heavy on blowers there back before the holidays........ just thought I'd check in with you.
Right on man, you'll be one of the first to know
Old 2/24/07, 01:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I got my fully polished Vortech,I had the choice of the Paxton or the Vortech,since they are both Vortech products,my sponsor gave the choice ,the Paxton is a larger unit and the intercooler is a little different makes more power in the long run ,but I liked the looks of the Vortech better plus I've been told the Vortech is more reliable. Besides I can always put a bigger compressor on in the future if I want even more boost.This couldn't have been possible without my great sponsors Vortech Engineering, Auto Meter Products and Spectreperformance.
Attached Thumbnails Do I Need An Intercooler-vortechdyer50.jpg  
Old 2/24/07, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Hubec
I'm surprised no one hasn't pointed this out, but this isn't a reliability issue at all. Vortech has already taken the technical concerns into account and have reduced the output of the non-intercooled kit to equalize the reliability of the intercooled/non-intercooled kits. The non-intercooled kit has a smaller supercharger that pumps out less psi and less heat. So if you're okay with the lesser power output and you're not planning future upgrades go with the lighter, cheaper, simpler non-intercooled S-Trim kit. Simple.
not true i have a v2 not sq on my 05 gt and it makes 404rwhp stock 3.80 pulley it makes 10psi at 5500rpm the blowers are the same different pulley size.
Old 2/24/07, 03:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by flamin ponyexpress
When I got my fully polished Vortech,I had the choice of the Paxton or the Vortech,since they are both Vortech products,my sponsor gave the choice ,the Paxton is a larger unit and the intercooler is a little different makes more power in the long run ,but I liked the looks of the Vortech better plus I've been told the Vortech is more reliable. Besides I can always put a bigger compressor on in the future if I want even more boost.This couldn't have been possible without my great sponsors Vortech Engineering, Auto Meter Products and Spectreperformance.
Nice setup.... thanks for the info. Where did you get your braided lines?

Originally Posted by jp's performance
not true i have a v2 not sq on my 05 gt and it makes 404rwhp stock 3.80 pulley it makes 10psi at 5500rpm the blowers are the same different pulley size.
Is the regular V2 much louder than the SQ version?
Old 2/24/07, 05:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tom281
Nice setup.... thanks for the info. Where did you get your braided lines?

Is the regular V2 much louder than the SQ version?
They are Spectreperformance. Spectreperformance sent me all different sizes of the steel braided hoses material in large rolls and I cut it to the size I needed. You can buy it in rolls or individual lengths. I was lucky , Spectreperformance is one of my sponsors.
Attached Thumbnails Do I Need An Intercooler-p9080028.jpg  
Old 2/24/07, 05:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Geez louize you got any left lol? Looks like you could do two cars.