GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

DiabloSport Predator

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/05, 09:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright so I have a few questions...
1. If I buy a CAI specific Predator and I buy Long tubes down the road, can I still download a tune online?..
2. Where is everyone buying the Predators online?
3. Does the PC interface cable come with? or is that sold seperate? where to buy?..
Old 4/29/05, 09:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Blk'05@April 29, 2005, 11:32 PM
Alright so I have a few questions...
1. If I buy a CAI specific Predator and I buy Long tubes down the road, can I still download a tune online?..
2. Where is everyone buying the Predators online?
3. Does the PC interface cable come with? or is that sold seperate? where to buy?..
The Predator for the Steeda and C&L tunes are specific to those hardware mods, and that's it. I suspect if you add anything else that can affect the fuel/air mixture/timing/etc you will most likely need to visit a shop and get a professional tune. The DiabloSport website lists them. I spoke at length with Amazon Racing in Maryland and was very impressed with their knowledge of the Predator. The custom tune was upwards of $375--a bit too pricey for me right now. Once I get my 18", gears and exhaust on I'll polish it all off with a tune.

I purchased the generic DiabloSport Predator (U7140) and PC Interface kit from RPMOutlet. Frankly, it looks like a standard 9 pin serial cable and powersupply you can pick up from Radio Shack. There are pros and cons to getting the generic Predator and the CAI-specific Predators so think about what you want...

John
Old 4/29/05, 10:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks John...Since it might be my only mod for a long while I think I'll just get the C&L specific predator Ive seen and pick up the cable from the local comp. store..As for going to get the car tuned on a Dyno, thats not gonna happen (live on Guam) we dont have one here....
Old 4/30/05, 11:44 PM
V6 Member

22-23 MPG!? WTF am I doing wrong. I drive to and from work. Usually averaging around 30-45 with mild stop and go for about a mile and then 12 miles of straight highway at a slower pace. Sometimes I get it up to around 80 for about 15 minutes a at a crack. I don't peel out every time and have very few stop light drags. My average (not as displayed but actually calculated) is usually around 13-14mpg. It is seriously exquisite feeling release of liquid waste product me off. I really want to move up to the better fuels (for better tunes) but at 13 mpg and $2.75/gal for 92 octane - just not going to happen.

Am I missing something?

Thanks all.

P

P.S. usually the indicated MPG on dash is around 15. I drove 60-70mpg on highway no stopping for 100 miles last week and got the average to a whole whopping 17.9mpg. That's pathetic!
Old 5/1/05, 09:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by peet@May 1, 2005, 1:47 AM
22-23 MPG!? WTF am I doing wrong. I drive to and from work. Usually averaging around 30-45 with mild stop and go for about a mile and then 12 miles of straight highway at a slower pace. Sometimes I get it up to around 80 for about 15 minutes a at a crack. I don't peel out every time and have very few stop light drags. My average (not as displayed but actually calculated) is usually around 13-14mpg. It is seriously exquisite feeling release of liquid waste product me off. I really want to move up to the better fuels (for better tunes) but at 13 mpg and $2.75/gal for 92 octane - just not going to happen.

Am I missing something?
On my bone stock GT I averaged 19-21 on 87 octane. On weekends I didn't baby the car at all, and ran like gangbusters--lots of stoplight races. Still got 19. Now, I wasn't laying a patch from stop everytime, but my driving on weekends is VERY spirited. I have about 7000 miles on my car since early January.

With my C&L cold air kit and tune, I'm getting slightly higher MPG during commutes (20 miles of 40-60mph, two lane, lots of lights and traffic) and 20 miles of 80mph highway. The car is MUCH more responsive and it actually worries me at times the brakes aren't going to pull me down in time.

You have to have a heavy right foot. I suppose if an inquiry at the dealer couldn't hurt though.
Old 5/1/05, 10:54 AM
Cobra R Member

[quote=j-stang,April 29, 2005, 8:36 AM]
AJ- I think that is the C&L Predator (which is ok) but I would get the regular Preadator (Diablo Logo) because it gives you more options.

With the regular Predator you can download the C&L tune or other custom tune as well. Plus when you upgrade the firmware you don't worry about if you have the right Predator or not. Majority of the people have the regualr Diablo Predator; therefore, updates and technical support will be easier and more accessible.

Hope this helps a little...

Cheers_Jay

I agree with this. I feel generic is best and not a fan of canned tunes
By the way they were $309 at RPM website two weeks ago. That is the best price I have seen.