GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Diablo or SCT?

Search this Thread

Old 9/29/05, 11:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, I know there has been a lot of debate on here about the Predator vs SCT. It seems both are quality items and it comes down to personal preference. My problem is this:

My 06 is an automatic transmission and according to a lot of you, the SCT is the way to go for an auto. tranny. But, There are no local SCT dealers in the greater Oklahoma City area. I thought about ordering a tune from Bamachips or Alternative (both are highly recommended) but I would really like a custom tune done on their dyno and because of the distance problem, that is out of the question.

My other option is to go with the predator and have a local shop custom tune my car on their Mustang dyno (they are only 5 miles from my house). The local shop has been recommended by several people, but none of them are Mustang owners. The problem here is many of you on the forums say the Predator isn't ideal for an auto. tranny.

So..............do I go with the SCT and just live with the tune they send me, or do I go with the Predator and have the local shop dyno it for me and "tweak" the adjustments?

By the way........I'll be going with a C&L CAI. And if I'm making too big of a deal about this don't be afraid to tell me. Maybe I should just flip a coin. Thanks in advance for your advice. I especially want to hear from those of you with automatics.

Rob.
Old 9/29/05, 11:26 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go with Doug at BamaChips, I could not be happier with both the Performance Tune and the Torque Tune's he provided for my K&N Aircharger, my car is a beast now! I'm from NJ. He has all the tunes available for every performance part you have in your vehicle, including your C&L intake. I got a 87 Perf. tune, 93 Perf. tune and a 93 Torque tune and I am amazed with these tunes. i highly recommend Doug for the outstanding tunes, customer service, price, etc.! Doug is a great tuner!
Old 9/29/05, 11:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

And this was all done via the phone or internet? I mean you didn't drive to alabama and have them tune it right there?
Old 9/29/05, 12:47 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It really depends on what is local. Like around here there are no Diablo tuners but there are SCT. In this case it would be best to buy an SCT. If there are no tuners local in your area you can pretty much get whatever you want as long as the tuner supports the changes you plan to make.

If you're buying a C&L intake, Diablo has a C&L tune. I have a K&N and they are still holding out on a tune for that.

In my opinion chips are good if you made all the mods you want to make, but if say for instance you put 4.10 gears in down the road, you can't tune your car for it because the chip is a 1 shot deal. This is my understand of chips.
Old 9/29/05, 01:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

All I'm gonna do is go w/ a C&L CAI and flowmaster exhaust. I won't be messing with gears. Bamachips and Alternative both sound like great tunes, but I'm wondering if I would get more of a custom tune and get the maxium performance from a local shop (predator tune) because they will have my vehicle right there on their dyno and can tweak it here and there. The local shop is claiming a 27 hp gain at the rear wheels and 3-4 mpg increase.
Old 9/29/05, 01:02 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your local shop does Predator tuning then get the Predator. A mail order place will get you a great price but that's all they're going to do for you. Actually getting your car on the dyno is the best.
Old 9/29/05, 01:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thats what I'm leanin toward
Old 9/29/05, 01:07 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Well both sides of this has its up and downs. I will only let Doug tune my car, not only because he is a good friend of mine, but he's one of the few tuners I'll trust.

If you go to a local place with diablo, sure their stuff is good, and they can get you probably more power on the first try, since they have a dyno in house.

If you go SCT through say Doug, he will get you fairly close if not perfect on the first try. But, after you get the car on the dyno with a SCT tune, You can take your dyno graph (power, trq, a/f) and send it to Doug and he can recalibrate your tune, and can send you the file back to you to load into your tuner. Thats going to require some more hardware maybe for your tuner, but the ability is awesome. That way your tuner can fine tune it from 100's of miles away.

Just letting you know, that you have options.
Old 9/29/05, 01:10 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Originally posted by dustindu4@September 29, 2005, 1:50 PM
In my opinion chips are good if you made all the mods you want to make, but if say for instance you put 4.10 gears in down the road, you can't tune your car for it because the chip is a 1 shot deal. This is my understand of chips.
FYI: Chips can be reburnt, but generally require being sent back to the tuner. Since 05's pretty much require a reflash thats not much of a problem since you have a hand held tuner there.
Old 9/29/05, 01:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

The SCT is coming out though with the ability for end user adjustments which I don't think you can do on Diablo. If he wanted to custom adjust WOT shift points and idle speed or spark adjustment he can do it with SCT.

Lidio at Alternative is sending mine with the ability to make adjustments but he did warn that they are not completely proven yet. (the end user adjustability)
Old 9/29/05, 01:26 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by MaverickMLFD371@September 29, 2005, 11:29 AM
Go with Doug at BamaChips, I could not be happier with both the Performance Tune and the Torque Tune's he provided for my K&N Aircharger, my car is a beast now! I'm from NJ. He has all the tunes available for every performance part you have in your vehicle, including your C&L intake. I got a 87 Perf. tune, 93 Perf. tune and a 93 Torque tune and I am amazed with these tunes. i highly recommend Doug for the outstanding tunes, customer service, price, etc.! Doug is a great tuner!

Whats the difference between performance tune and torque tune?
Old 9/29/05, 01:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Performance is mainly for WOT or pretty much the racetrack, you will get more horsepower and more torque at WOT or higher RPMs. The torque tune is more for the daily driver or more seat of the pants feelings. Its is mainly not giving the car more horsepower, but more torque!! and you can def feel a differnece too, and the torque tune is more for low end torque. I used the torque tune everyday and run the Performance tune at the racetrack, its awesome!

Doug at BamaChips would be able to give you a more detailed explanation between the Torque and Performance Tune.
Old 9/29/05, 01:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Doug at BamaChips has my business for LIFE !!!!!

AWESOME Tunes, EXCEPTIONAL Customer Service from Doug.
Old 9/29/05, 01:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by mlcrisis@September 29, 2005, 3:52 PM

Yea, what he said! :worship:
Old 9/29/05, 02:12 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by 6505pony@September 29, 2005, 12:28 PM
The SCT is coming out though with the ability for end user adjustments which I don't think you can do on Diablo.
Just to clarify, yes you can do that with the Diablo and have always been able to.
Old 9/29/05, 02:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well since I posted this Thread, I located an SCT dealer (found him on SCT website) 55 miles north of where I live. He said he is very familiar with Bamachips and said they are great. He said he would be glad to custom tune my car and shot me a reasonable price, so now I do have access to a somewhat local SCT tuner. He didn't knock the diablosport, he just told me all of the advantages of the SCT. I can respect that.
Old 9/29/05, 03:02 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by mlcrisis@September 29, 2005, 1:52 PM

I'm just waiting for Doug to email me some more information so i can purchase one.
Old 9/29/05, 03:41 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Originally posted by OKLACOP@September 29, 2005, 3:35 PM
Well since I posted this Thread, I located an SCT dealer (found him on SCT website) 55 miles north of where I live. He said he is very familiar with Bamachips and said they are great. He said he would be glad to custom tune my car and shot me a reasonable price, so now I do have access to a somewhat local SCT tuner. He didn't knock the diablosport, he just told me all of the advantages of the SCT. I can respect that.
Thats awesome news. Always good to have options.
Old 9/29/05, 04:14 PM
V6 Member

i really want to know..

what things SCT can do that Diablo doesnt .. and the other way around..
Old 9/29/05, 04:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by dustindu4@September 29, 2005, 1:05 PM
If your local shop does Predator tuning then get the Predator. A mail order place will get you a great price but that's all they're going to do for you. Actually getting your car on the dyno is the best.
I agree with this 100%. Go with the one in your area and if there are problems you can take the car to them. I am not a fan of mail order tunes.

Quick Reply: Diablo or SCT?