GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Dealer says car will not pass inspection b/c of Brenspeed Tune...

Search this Thread

Old 1/6/09, 01:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer says car will not pass inspection b/c of Brenspeed Tune...

Like the title states the Dealership, which I unfortunately took my car to in order to get some recall/warranty/inspection stuff done, says the car will not pass inspection/emmissions testing due to the aftermarket "chip [which] does not allow the o2 sensors to maintain function properly for the test"

I started questioning the guy and he backed down immediately saying, Oh well I didn't say it wasn't going to pass. And I was debating laughing out loud or taking the car elsewhere. So I ended up doing both, as well as paying a $91 Diagnostic Fee for absolutely no work done on the car.

Sorry this was long, but has anyone heard of any company trying to pull this BS?

((Modifications: CAI/Tune, BBK LTs with Cats, Gears, etc.))

Lowe!, any idea of where to go in CenTx for inspection? B/C I know you and I are running similar mods.
Old 1/6/09, 02:35 PM
GT Member

So are you saying they tried to perform the emissions test and your car failed because rear O2 sensors are turned off, or are you saying the technician merely assumed you O2 sensors were turned off and didn't even attempt the test?

I had CR at Tillmans give me an "emissions" tune with the rear O2's turned on - I'll find out how well that works out in April when my inspection is due. In my "normal" Tillmans 93 tune the rear O2's are turned off. I'll reload that as soon as the inspection is over.
Old 1/6/09, 02:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

I went in for an airbag recall/reprogram on the airbag computer.. I asked the tech about the fuel pump hesitation and asked him about the tech bulliten that I saw.

He had no idea what I was talking about.
Old 1/6/09, 02:44 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I was wondering what would happen when I try to get an inspection this summer. I have never had a car actually have to get an emissions test here. They just do the usual, horn, brake lights, blinkers, headlights, etc. I've always taken mine to a little hole in the wall place where they do car washes, auto care, and inspections for $14.50. Your first mistake was taking it to a dealer.
Old 1/6/09, 03:52 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 300GT
So are you saying they tried to perform the emissions test and your car failed because rear O2 sensors are turned off, or are you saying the technician merely assumed you O2 sensors were turned off and didn't even attempt the test?

I had CR at Tillmans give me an "emissions" tune with the rear O2's turned on - I'll find out how well that works out in April when my inspection is due. In my "normal" Tillmans 93 tune the rear O2's are turned off. I'll reload that as soon as the inspection is over.
Number 2... He said the o2s were off and didn't perform the test.

I sent Brenspeed an email telling them the situation and asking them for an inspection style tune.
Old 1/6/09, 03:53 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I was wondering what would happen when I try to get an inspection this summer. I have never had a car actually have to get an emissions test here. They just do the usual, horn, brake lights, blinkers, headlights, etc. I've always taken mine to a little hole in the wall place where they do car washes, auto care, and inspections for $14.50. Your first mistake was taking it to a dealer.
I knew it was a mistake but like I said in my opening post, I needed to have recall/warranty (TSBs) addressed so I figured I could try to get all of it knocked out at one time.
Old 1/6/09, 04:53 PM

You already paid for the diagnostic inspection that he didnt even perform. Get the new emissions tune, take it back, and have him redue the emissions test for free. You paid for something they didnt perform. I might be wrong here but thats my 2 cents.
Old 1/6/09, 05:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
I had to have my car emissions tested this summer here in Chicago and had the problem of it not being ready to test because the o2 sensors were off. I asked my tuner to redo the tune with the o2 sensors turned on and then I loaded it, drove for a while to get everything reset and then passed with no problems. Hopefully you can have the same luck with an o2 on tune.
Old 1/6/09, 05:37 PM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
The J3 port has been decontented on the PCM for years. You can't really install a chip anymore. You could flash the PCM with an aftermarket tune though. I'm not sure why many aftermarket tuners disable the O2 sensors. I tuned my Vic myself and kept the OBD2 stuff stock.
Old 1/6/09, 06:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can't pass a test here in Cali because we also have a visual inspection and the open air element won't pass.

I'll throw the stock air box back on and reflash the computer with the OEM tune and everything will be fine.
Old 1/6/09, 06:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone know if longtubes will be able to pass? I was hoping to get longtubes this summer but I think I'm due for echeck this year. I know off-road won't pass but have heard of the high-flow cats having O2 issues. anyone know?

I currently have an off-road midpipe that probably won't pass.
Old 1/6/09, 07:04 PM
Bullitt Member

It looks like anyone with LT's has issues if they dont let the car warm up properly when they start it. It seems the o2's sensors sit too far back in the exhaust stream causing issues with the pcm. I dont get why they dont put the sensors farther upstream.

I will probably just get shorty headers installed. They wont gain much but at least I wont have issues.
Old 1/6/09, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by jaguarking11
It looks like anyone with LT's has issues if they dont let the car warm up properly when they start it. It seems the o2's sensors sit too far back in the exhaust stream causing issues with the pcm. I dont get why they dont put the sensors farther upstream.
Well further upstream would put them before the cats... or before the collectors.
Old 1/6/09, 07:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Enfynet
Well further upstream would put them before the cats... or before the collectors.
alrite, makes sense. Looks like no LT's for me.
Old 1/6/09, 08:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have never heard of a set of long tubes that would pass emissions but maybe that's just Kalifornia.
Old 1/6/09, 09:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone know if longtubes will be able to pass? I was hoping to get longtubes this summer but I think I'm due for echeck this year. I know off-road won't pass but have heard of the high-flow cats having O2 issues. anyone know?

I currently have an off-road midpipe that probably won't pass.
Originally Posted by jaguarking11

I will probably just get shorty headers installed. They wont gain much but at least I wont have issues.
Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
I have never heard of a set of long tubes that would pass emissions but maybe that's just Kalifornia.
Hey guys, I can tell you about this topic. I have had my longtubes for over 2 years now, and have PASSED EVERY YEAR!!! Here in Pennsylvania, we have a yearly emissions test, and I have had no issues!! I do have high-flow cats, and I have the rear 02 sensors turned on still. Sometimes I do get a P0133 CEL occasionally, but its only if I don't let the car warm up a few minutes before I drive it. My dad does my test as he has a inspection license, but he won't pass it if it fails. He's old school and I don't want him getting into any hassles. I tell him, let the car warm up for 5 minutes before you take it for the test. He's done this and it come out clean.

Guys, if the occasional check-engine light is the thing that stops you from gettting long-tubes, then you didn't want them in the 1st place. I can TOTALLY live with a CEL that comes on every so often, and can be cleared in 1 minute with my SCT X-Cal, in exchange for the incredible sound they make (especially with Borla Stingers ) and the awesome extra power my car now makes from them.
Old 1/7/09, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
I can't pass a test here in Cali because we also have a visual inspection and the open air element won't pass.

I'll throw the stock air box back on and reflash the computer with the OEM tune and everything will be fine.
Actually, an open air element(CAI) will work if it has a C.A.R.B. EO(Executive Order) number, such as the K&N, and the Ford Racing CAI that came with my Whipple, which also has an EO number.
Old 1/7/09, 12:29 PM

Hmmm... American Racing Headers, H-pipe, cats... Might have to spend the few extra $ to get catted LT's... thanks Jeff
Old 1/7/09, 04:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm... American Racing Headers, H-pipe, cats... Might have to spend the few extra $ to get catted LT's... thanks Jeff
Justin, TRUST ME, they are WORTH EVERY PENNY!! I sometimes don't even have my radio on. I love the sound too much to listen to anything else.