GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Dash Mounting Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 1/10/08, 05:45 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash Mounting Gauges

For those of you who mounted gauges on the dash between the air vents, was it difficult. Can you put 2 2 3/16 gauges. Any pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 1/10/08, 07:04 PM

Wiring for gauges in that center panel is not too complicated. Yes, there is room for two 2 1/16" gauges stacked vertically.

It requires removing the center stack (radio/hvac/etc) and by doing this you expose plenty of room to work. Taking this apart is easy, with the biggest challenge (IMO) being the clips to the HVAC panel. Ford provided almost zero slack, and it's a tight spot for a hand/small screwdriver to release the latching mechanism. Other than that, pretty straightforward.

I know there are pictures of this install on several other Mustang forums, and most likely here also with a little searching.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions.
Old 1/10/08, 07:27 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by speedofsound
Wiring for gauges in that center panel is not too complicated. Yes, there is room for two 2 1/16" gauges stacked vertically.

It requires removing the center stack (radio/hvac/etc) and by doing this you expose plenty of room to work. Taking this apart is easy, with the biggest challenge (IMO) being the clips to the HVAC panel. Ford provided almost zero slack, and it's a tight spot for a hand/small screwdriver to release the latching mechanism. Other than that, pretty straightforward.

I know there are pictures of this install on several other Mustang forums, and most likely here also with a little searching.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions.
Very helpful. Thanks.
Old 1/11/08, 05:00 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
I have two gauges in the SOS pod and decided I'd rather have the gauges in the center , so I thought about doing this. However , I decided to try a couple of the vent pods first. I should receive them today , and if I decide I don't like them then I'll try this ...
Old 1/11/08, 03:17 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you post some pics and a link of where to get that vent pod? I might be interested in one of those to.

Originally Posted by 05YellowGT
I have two gauges in the SOS pod and decided I'd rather have the gauges in the center , so I thought about doing this. However , I decided to try a couple of the vent pods first. I should receive them today , and if I decide I don't like them then I'll try this ...
Old 1/12/08, 01:11 AM
Cobra Member

pictures anyone??
Old 1/12/08, 07:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Ben,
Go to this thread about the Aeroforce Scan gauges. Post #58

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...ce+scan+gauges

Tom281 has done this install. I don't think I have ever seen a "how to" write up done anywhere but I'm sure Tom can answer about any question you would have.
Scott
Old 1/12/08, 08:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Yeah, try pm'ing tom281, I heard he's a pretty cool dude.....

You can actually drill the piece while it's still in the car because there's not much behind it to damage except for some plastic that supports the vent plumbing- but I would remove it so that you can get the gauges centered, etc. without worry. I took my dash apart without the help of an actual diagram, so I would advise that unless you're comfortable with removing panels, loosening the passenger airbag, etc. I'd look for a removal diagram.
Old 1/13/08, 04:35 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Hey Ben,
Go to this thread about the Aeroforce Scan gauges. Post #58

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...ce+scan+gauges

Tom281 has done this install. I don't think I have ever seen a "how to" write up done anywhere but I'm sure Tom can answer about any question you would have.
Scott
Thanks Scott. I found it very interesting. Probably go with the Intercepter set.
Old 1/14/08, 05:43 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Falchion
Can you post some pics and a link of where to get that vent pod? I might be interested in one of those to.
They haven't come in yet , should be today or tomorrow , but I'll post pictures when they do. I got them at www.ventpod.com and they have picture there ...
Old 1/15/08, 09:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

OK guy's , the vent pods came in and I have them installed. It was really easy and completely reversible if I decide I don't like them ...
Attached Thumbnails Dash Mounting Gauges-ventpod-1-.jpg  
Old 1/15/08, 01:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

sorry off topic, but 05YellowGT do you have anymore wood accents in your interior and if so, can you post them?
Old 1/15/08, 01:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Tom , here's a picture from when I first got the wood accents. When these kits first came out they didn't include the piece over the passenger side air bag , as you can see. They finally started making the kits with the pieces for there and I was able to order just those pieces , but since I had the real wood pieces they didn't match. I was going to have to replace all the pieces and decided instead to get a Carbon fiber kit and just replace the pieces on the dash it's self and leave the center console and doors with the wood pieces ...
Attached Thumbnails Dash Mounting Gauges-leatherboots.jpg  
Old 1/15/08, 01:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
man those vent pods look pretty sweet.....
Old 1/16/08, 12:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 05YellowGT
Tom , here's a picture from when I first got the wood accents. When these kits first came out they didn't include the piece over the passenger side air bag , as you can see. They finally started making the kits with the pieces for there and I was able to order just those pieces , but since I had the real wood pieces they didn't match. I was going to have to replace all the pieces and decided instead to get a Carbon fiber kit and just replace the pieces on the dash it's self and leave the center console and doors with the wood pieces ...
thanks!