GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Corsa axle-back, good or waste of $$?

Search this Thread

Old 11/18/05, 08:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been contemplating getting the Corsa axle-back since I've heard a lot of good things about it.

According to many, it has no drone and sounds great w/o being to loud. My wife hated the SLP LM and forced me to sell it.

Here is some info on it:
http://www.corsaperf.com/mustang.htm

It looks good but is pricey at $600 (USD).

I can not and will not tolerate interior drone.

Is it worth it?
Old 11/18/05, 08:50 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
The sound bites sound good. Listening to them in person would be better. I would give it a shot.
Old 11/18/05, 09:30 PM
Bullitt Member

I happend to hear all of these side by side this summer at a car show I attended.

Corsa
Flowmaster
Magnaflow

They all are a little different. Magnaflow was a little louder than stock. My Flowmasters are much louder than stock. The Corsa was a little louder than my Flowmasters. I have to say the Corsa ones looked pretty cool and sounded good but I wouldn't trade them for my Flowmasters which I think are a better value.

I do get a little drone in 5th gear from my Flowmasters but now that I've had them for a while I don't really notice. You really never hear the drone under acceleration so I don't know why Corsa used that sound clip. They should record one in 5th grear cruising between 60-65 mph.

If you're after the looks pick the Corsa. Both the Corsa and Flowmasters will turn heads when you start the car.

Greg
Old 11/19/05, 06:07 AM
Bullitt Member

I have Corsa on mine.

If your car is cold at startup you will have a huge sound, if you play with the accelerator, loud sound with some (how do you call that in english) back fire sound ?
When the car is warm, i think the idle is less noisy than the stock one.
In regular the corsa is less loud than stock. More deep, more bass. But as soon as you put the gas it makes sound, but not as loud as borla or other.
It's a cool exhaust but some says it doesn't make enough noise.
In regular drive on highway you doesn't hear anything, it's like driving a mercedes. but as soon as you push the car it became loud, i like to affraid people in tunnel on the road, a little push on accelerator and the sound make a huge echo on the roof and the wall

In resume, i like them. You can be low profile on road or while passing behind a cop car or be like a little evil. Of course my friend with the manual and corsa make a totaly different sound than me with automatic. The engine brake does some loud bass back fire sound, very hard to get that on auto.

edit : I'll go to see my car in storage today, could make you a video of it.
Old 11/19/05, 06:16 AM
GT Member

I have them on my car.
They are a little louder / much deeper at idle.
NO drone.
Hiway speeds are quiet in cab, but a little louder than stock.
While accelerating - Nice deep incredible sound.
Upper RPM's - loud and the best tone and quality (can't think of how to describe) I've heard to date.
Obviously the company had some serious R&D money to develop these- it shows.

Macs are loud and obnoxious.
SLP's are worse than Macs
Flowmaster are too quiet.
All drone BUT the Corsa's.
Get the Corsa's and after about 700ish miles they have broken in and you'll LOVE the sound.
Old 11/19/05, 07:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

I picked up my set a while ago, and have almost 4,000 miles on them.. I have also experienced the same good things that others are posting. I have posted several times giving positive mention to this brand, and it feels kind of strange doing it again .. but hey .. I'm not on their payroll, and you asked !

There is no question that Corsa is asking a premium for their components, especially compared to the competition. It was hard for me to part with the $$, but in IMHO it was worth it. You have to see the rolled SS tips - they are so beefy. The entire assembly looks like it will last forever. I enjoy them every day - both the sound and looks are unique.
Old 11/19/05, 11:37 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let me get this straight.All after market exhausts have some drone??
And for those of you that have corsa's,are they axle back or cat back??
Old 11/19/05, 11:44 AM
V6 Member

I was considering the Corsa exhaust myself. Soundclips sound awesome and I like the looks.

Only negative besides the price is the weight. I believe I read that the Corsa's weigh 25 lbs each. Stock mufflers weigh 16 lb each.

I went with Magnaflow (14 lbs each) and I am also trying out JBA (12 lbs each). Since I already have a convertible which is heavier than the hardtop and I am looking at installing a roll bar, etc. I didn't want to add additional weight to the car with a muffler install.

Just another thing to consider if weight is important to you. In comparison, the Borlas weigh 7 lbs each. So Borla vs. Corsa would be a 36 lb difference!
Old 11/19/05, 12:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Anybody have the Corsa and a Bassani X-pipe with comp cats. I've got the x-pipe with stock muffles but I'm debating between the Corsa and Magnaflows.
Old 11/19/05, 01:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

The Corsas are heavy son of a guns !

Why are they so heavy?
Old 11/19/05, 05:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Don't know why they're so heavy...

However, today I met the president of Corsa at Lingenfelter Performance Engineering. He was a cool guy to talk to, didn't give me any crap for having a Bassani system, and assured me that their system is the only on the market to not have any drone. Now, I can't say that I can verify the no-drone comment, but I can tell you that their system does sound very, very nice. However, it's alot of cash which is the main reason why I didn't buy it. Even he admitted that their systems are a "considerable investment for an exhaust system" but he stated that they do huge amounts of R&D work and that pushes the cost up noticeably. My opinion is simply that it is a great system, perhaps slighty overpriced although that depends on the deal you can find.

ts
Old 11/19/05, 10:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

just rememebr the sounclip has more than jsut the exhaust. i beleive the car also had headers and something else done to it as well.
Old 11/20/05, 04:14 AM
GT Member

[attachmentid=39111]I love my Corsas. Nothing is too good for my GT. I can make more money tommorrow
Old 11/20/05, 10:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Any HP gains with the Corsas?

Their website claims some rediculous gains like +10HP or something like that.
Old 11/20/05, 12:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally posted by LordBritish@November 20, 2005, 12:53 PM
Any HP gains with the Corsas?

Their website claims some rediculous gains like +10HP or something like that.

Uh, doubt it. Just my opinion.....

I would buy any axle-back kit for it's sound, not it's performance.

ts