GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Cooling fan settings or thermostat? 2007 GT

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/16, 06:20 PM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cooling fan settings or thermostat? 2007 GT

Does anyone have any recommended cooling fan settings? The stock settings are way high on my 07 GT, so I've reduced it to about 220F for high speed and 210F for low speed. At the track, I noticed my coolant temps reaching a peak of 216F at an ambient of 60F, while the cylinder head temps were around 226F.

The SCT value files set the cooling fan settings way low to the point it is almost always running. Are there any better settings?

Or should I be looking at a lower temp thermostat? I'm running the stock factory thermostat. I am not seeing much (if any) knock retard at WOT up to 6500 RPM. In fact, there are some areas where it is adding timing and I'm running the 93 octane spark tables. I just want to keep the engine a bit cooler for the summer time when the ambient temperatures are higher. I'm thinking I'd like to see ECT and CHT temps lowered by about 10 degrees. I do like how it is above boiling temperature so the engine oil sheds any moisture/fuel vapors that may build up.

Also, I am running the Steeda cold air intake and it is basically a hot air intake. At ambient 60F, the IAT reaches 133F and doesn't drop down very much as I'm racing down the track. My 09 Cobalt SS Turbo with the K&N cold air intake sheds heat very quickly down the track or as soon as it moves.
Old 5/9/16, 12:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
If you're looking to run cooler in the summer might I suggest an electric H2O pump. My factory temp gauge that used to sit straight up and down now sits one notch toward the cool side and has never gone past that. I run a PD supercharger in the Las Vegas desert heat and have never had an issue. It is mucho more efficient at keeping the motor cool as it is running full blast all the time. Think about it. When do you need the most flow? When you are sitting in traffic with no air flow. It is at this time the a mechanical pump flows the least. Kinda doesn't make sense, does it?

our engines I believe are designed to run at that 210-220 degree range so if you're at 216 i would think that was OK. A lower temp thermostat isn't really going to make that big of a difference. I mean at 200* the thermostat should be wide open regardless.

But if it helps I think I set my low speed fan to come on at 200 and the high speed to come on at 220.

Last edited by 07 Boss; 5/9/16 at 12:53 PM.
Old 5/21/16, 06:41 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks.
The stock fan settings are set to turn on at fairly high temperatures (high as in absolute, not relative to the design of the engine). I've been running a lower setting for a few years but noticed it going to a high temp at the drag strip. I've reduced it by another 5 degrees and so far it isn't turning on too quickly. The stock SCT settings pretty much kept the fan running all the time, but with my exhaust setup I can't even hear the fan running unless I shut down the engine and the fan slows down