GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Compression results....To be continued

Search this Thread

Old 10/19/09, 06:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tuesday-Thursday and every other Friday, 7pm-7am. Ive just had court and overtime shifts on my days off lately, so its limiting my sleep. lol.

I'll try u tomorrow before I go to work. I'm pretty sure I stay up later than you.. Infact I am guessing your just about to hit la la land now.
Old 10/22/09, 04:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by colbymh
I still need to hear your story why your not getting a SC. I'm hoping to by next summer. But it will be after a few more mods. For some reason the ol lady doesn't like the sound of my tranny being dumped for a mod while I still have 5 years of warranty left. lol
So my friend...who wears the pants...urr... in that family??? I guess I know the answer to that question. :-) And never...never...let her know you called her the old lady!!!

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 10/22/09 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11/17/09, 04:50 PM
Cobra Member

And the winner is....Passenger side, rear...Took all the plugs out again, this one was wet. Had ford tech in my garage and another guy with 19 yrs experience. He brought a camera system over, dropped it down into each chamber and the passenger rear was the only one wet around the piston, wall,etc. All the others were dry. Although they did have a darker burnt color around them. Makes sense with all the oil burning though. New plugs will be a definite.

Next up, getting the tools so we can really dig into it.
Old 11/17/09, 04:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

And the winner is....Passenger side, rear...Took all the plugs out again, this one was wet. Had ford tech in my garage and another guy with 19 yrs experience. He brought a camera system over, dropped it down into each chamber and the passenger rear was the only one wet around the piston, wall,etc. All the others were dry. Although they did have a darker burnt color around them. Makes sense with all the oil burning though. New plugs will be a definite.

Next up, getting the tools so we can really dig into it.

I want dibs on calling the problem first in the original thread that was lost......"Valve Seals"
Colby,
You know I have been on your side thru your whole ordeal. It really should be a simple fix. I am still convinced that somehow during your cam install a valve seal got split or torn somehow. I will be tickled for you the day you post "I got it fixed"
Old 11/17/09, 05:16 PM
Cobra Member

You get the prize Scott...Oh did I mention you have to pick it up here??? lol

Ya luckily I am surrounded by knowledge. From the board here and my neighbor and his friend. They had my car ripped apart in about 5 minutes. Not the coolest thing to watch actually.

Their thoughts is that during the installation, the installer didn't tighten it down from center out and instead went from rear to front, which would have caused extra pressure on the rear seal.

My question is still..Why so much oil from the driver side into my intake then?? Pizza and beer should tell me once I get the tools. Just gonna have them pull both sides to be sure.
Old 11/17/09, 05:34 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You get the prize Scott...Oh did I mention you have to pick it up here??? lol

Ya luckily I am surrounded by knowledge. From the board here and my neighbor and his friend. They had my car ripped apart in about 5 minutes. Not the coolest thing to watch actually.

Their thoughts is that during the installation, the installer didn't tighten it down from center out and instead went from rear to front, which would have caused extra pressure on the rear seal.

My question is still..Why so much oil from the driver side into my intake then?? Pizza and beer should tell me once I get the tools. Just gonna have them pull both sides to be sure.
Glad you're narrowing it down. I was wondering how it was going.

Like I wrote before, the way it was loading up and then blowing blue when you re-opened the throttle was like the valve seal issue years back on my Lotus vs burning blue all the time would denote rings.

As to oil from drivers side... remember the drivers side PCV tube is larger and sort of the 'exhaust' tube for the entire crankcase by design... with the passenger side tube being much smaller. Therefore, it doesn't matter which seal failed... it was still building up excess crankcase pressure and the PCV tube was the outlet for that.
Old 11/17/09, 11:36 PM
Cobra Member

Ahhh yes Charlie, that makes sense. I am going to call the installer tomorrow and hammer on him a little bit. I am sitting here wondering if my resonators and mufflers are shot from having so much oil pushed through them.

It's obvious that it is/was his fault...Just a pain in the rear to get ahold of and far enough away that its not so convenient for me.
Old 12/6/09, 06:45 PM
Cobra Member

So we started the fix today. Got the tools/seals and we tearing into it. Pulled the rear valve seal and there was a knick on the seal. Now I personally don't see how much a tiny knick can cause anything to go wrong, but they seemed to think so. It really looks like a small scratch its so minuet.

The bad news..While placing the keepers back on, one slipped down and most likely is now in the oil pan. Looks like we just caused some more work to be done.
Old 12/7/09, 04:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

So we started the fix today. Got the tools/seals and we tearing into it. Pulled the rear valve seal and there was a knick on the seal. Now I personally don't see how much a tiny knick can cause anything to go wrong, but they seemed to think so. It really looks like a small scratch its so minuet.

The bad news..While placing the keepers back on, one slipped down and most likely is now in the oil pan. Looks like we just caused some more work to be done.

It's great your finally getting her fixed Colby. Stop that fumble fingers thing.
Old 12/7/09, 07:55 PM
Post *****

Dang, sorry to hear about the keeper. Funny, I was thinking about what's involved with replacing seals last week and I thought - bummer if I dropped a valve in the hole! LOL
Hope you can just remove the pan and fish it out.
Old 12/7/09, 11:52 PM
Cobra Member

Well they made it easier by not having to remove the cam. Down fall is that putting the keepers back on looked like a game of operation.

Your thoughts on the small knick being the problem?
Old 12/8/09, 02:10 AM
Post *****

Well they made it easier by not having to remove the cam. Down fall is that putting the keepers back on looked like a game of operation.

Your thoughts on the small knick being the problem?
Hard for me to say without seeing it. Others that work frequently with them would know better.
But remember how much extra intake pressure/vaccum you noticed with the intake... lots of suction on the downstroke...
Old 12/8/09, 02:35 AM
Cobra Member

Meaning? lol
Old 12/8/09, 10:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Meaning? lol

Meaning if there was even a tiny hole in the valve seal the suction created by the pistion moving down in the cylinder would easily pull oil from inside the valve cover down the valve stem into the cylinder. Even a tiny part of a drop per rotation is a whole bunch of drops in a few miles.
Old 12/8/09, 06:02 PM
Cobra Member

That i could understand if there was a tiny hole but this is just a scratch. I will attempt a picture
Old 12/8/09, 06:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

That i could understand if there was a tiny hole but this is just a scratch. I will attempt a picture
So do you mean there is not a hole of any kind going thru the valve seal? If that is true than it is not the problem. So how many have they replaced? Are they all done? Or are they still working on it?
Old 12/8/09, 06:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe I missed this before the forums went down, but why was this not covered under the power train warranty?
Old 12/9/09, 01:15 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
So do you mean there is not a hole of any kind going thru the valve seal? If that is true than it is not the problem. So how many have they replaced? Are they all done? Or are they still working on it?

No holes by the naked eye. There are knicks on the inside wall of the valve seal and outside. John is saying that the knick is enough to allow it to not seal properly and allow oil to pass.

We only did that one at this time because it was the only one with a wet plug and wet inside. The others were bone dry (via video camera down the spark plug hole)
Old 12/9/09, 01:27 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by steve-o
Maybe I missed this before the forums went down, but why was this not covered under the power train warranty?
Because Ford pretty much wont touch your car after you put so much as a intake on. Atleast for my issue (was caused after a cam install). Several dealerships would'nt even touch it because of the mods. Might as well of rolled a top fuel dragster in for motor warranty.
Old 12/10/09, 05:13 AM
Cobra Member

So let me get some thoughts on this from you fellers. IFFFF the keeper fell into the "oil galley", what would happen if it goes unfound??

This is out of my area of knowledge, as I was under the impression it would have slid down into the oil pan, but have been told it would go to the oil galley first. Hell I didn't even know what an oil galley was. lol

The only good news...the area of concern is fixed after getting another keeper.

Quick Reply: Compression results....To be continued