GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Compression results....To be continued

Search this Thread

Old 9/24/09, 11:41 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Compression results....To be continued

Since the forum was hacked, we lost alot of killer technical information. I wanted to continue this until my matter is fixed.

It appears as though my problem is a bad valve stem seal. Others have mentioned this and it seems as if I have exhausted all others possibilities. It just so happens that my neighbor has been a ford mechanic for almost 15 years and it was the first thing he mentioned when I told him all the details and what when it continues to smoke.

It does still smoke, but only on decel, which makes sense. Its alot more noticeable when I am manually shifting 1st-3rd and letting off because of the amount of decel vs being in drive.

When I am in 3rd gear and I go down a steep hill, if I let off the gas completely it sounds like it is losing power and dying. At first I thought the car was dead, but upon applying gas again, it went on like normal. Without having all the technical jargon, it was told to me that it makes sense that it would be a valve stem seal because extra oil is passing through the bad seal, which would cause the air/fuel to change and act like it is about to die, until more gas is applied would would equal out the air/fuel again. I could be explaining this wrong, so bare with me.

Currently I am burning a qt of oil in 600 miles.

Anywayyyyyyy...So my plan is to have my neighbor come over and check the seals and fix the problem.

So here is my question to you guys (although I can ask his advice also). Should I spend the $125 for this tool...

http://cgi.ebay.com/OTC-7928-Ford-Va...d=p3286.c0.m14

Orrrr, should I get a standard valve spring tool from say...Sears for $30-40 bucks and call it good. I hate to spend the extra money on a tool I will use once, but I guess i can always put it back on Ebay afterwards.

The tool above isnt the exact one since its for 2 valves vs needing the 3 valve type, but you get my point.

I will also have to buy an air adapter (16mm) that will screw into the spark plug holes in order to pressurize the valves so they dont drop. Not sure where to get that yet though.
Old 9/25/09, 12:15 AM
Team Mustang Source

Wow, sounds like you are finally making some progress on this. I can't help with much here, but I do know that you can get the air adapter for your spark plug holes at any auto parts store...they are fairly common.
Old 9/25/09, 01:21 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Man that was a great thread!

I agree about the letting off, cylinders accumulate oil from the head through leaking valve seals and vacuum, then at the bottom of the grade, when you open it up - you'll see your cloud in your mirror. (I am well versed in that before I rebuilt my Lotus 907 years past.) Whereas leaking pistons would smoke more throughout the RPM range. However, it is said (at least in the old days) that bad valves will wear piston rings sooner...
Old 9/25/09, 02:31 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
Wow, sounds like you are finally making some progress on this. I can't help with much here, but I do know that you can get the air adapter for your spark plug holes at any auto parts store...they are fairly common.
Ya I am hoping to get this finished. I hate having a new car that smokes, plus burns oil. Not cool looking. lol

I agree about them being common except that for 2008 they changed them spark plug from 14mm to 16mm, which isn't common anywhere. Atleast it wasn't when I was searching for compression kits and all of them were 14, 18mm, etc. No 16. Air adapter might be easier though.
Old 9/25/09, 04:40 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Man that was a great thread!

I agree about the letting off, cylinders accumulate oil from the head through leaking valve seals and vacuum, then at the bottom of the grade, when you open it up - you'll see your cloud in your mirror. (I am well versed in that before I rebuilt my Lotus 907 years past.) Whereas leaking pistons would smoke more throughout the RPM range. However, it is said (at least in the old days) that bad valves will wear piston rings sooner...

It was a great thread huh. Man that sucks its gone. I almost printed it out prior to it being wiped out. Ya I can decel and come to a stop and see smoke rolling by my side window. its extra special. I cant wait to be able to say its fixed.
Old 9/25/09, 05:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Colby,
Just my .02$ about the valve compression tool. I believe the proper tool is specfic to our 3V heads and the others won't work. I would think your mechanic bud would know for sure. Good luck. I hope you get it fixed quickly!!
Scott
Old 9/25/09, 07:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what I've heard from people who have installed aftermarket camshafts with uprated new springs, the right tool for this job prevents a lot of foul sailor language.

You're going to have the camshaft out for this, right? There may be more tools you'll need. Not sure if you'll need the timing chain wedge or not. But if you look around there are ways to improvise for the wedge. Might be a good idea to read some of the good writeups out there on replacing camshafts since you're basically going in there.

Good luck and I hope you get this fixed soon -- I was following your thread from before and it was certainly informative reading! Shame it was lost.
Old 9/25/09, 11:04 AM
Cobra Member

I dont believe that cams have to been removed. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure they dont.
Old 9/25/09, 11:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by colbymh
I dont believe that cams have to been removed. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure they dont.
I don't know either, maybe I should be quiet, sorry. Just thought you'd have to get in there if you're picking a valve out, but I'm probably wrong.
Old 9/25/09, 11:30 AM
Cobra Member

Noooo need to be quiet. Trust me, I don't no either. As I mentioned before, I appreciate all thoughts, questions, ideas, etc, etc....
Old 9/25/09, 01:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Relax Colby. The cams DO NOT have to be removed to replace the valve seals. If fact the valve spring compression tool uses the cam shaft as the point of leverage to compress the springs. That why I believe you are going to need the 3V specfic tool.
Old 9/25/09, 01:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Relax Colby. The cams DO NOT have to be removed to replace the valve seals. If fact the valve spring compression tool uses the cam shaft as the point of leverage to compress the springs. That why I believe you are going to need the 3V specfic tool.
Good to know!
Sorry for breaking my personal rule of speaking without being 100% positive.
Old 9/25/09, 07:57 PM
GT Member

Hey Colby,
Just my .02$ about the valve compression tool. I believe the proper tool is specfic to our 3V heads and the others won't work. I would think your mechanic bud would know for sure. Good luck. I hope you get it fixed quickly!!
Scott
I think this reply is spot on. I am pretty sure due to the 3 valve desighn that a conventional spring compressor will not fit the 3 valve head. Get the 3 valve compressor and resell it on E-bay. I'm keeping an eye on this thread.
Old 10/12/09, 05:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey Colby,
Just checking to see if you have made any progress on getting that valve seal issue fixed yet?
Scott
Old 10/12/09, 01:39 PM

where can i buy the tool for the 3v job, any link?
Old 10/17/09, 09:59 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by maldoj2
where can i buy the tool for the 3v job, any link?
http://fordspecialtools.com/Detail.aspx?id=767

http://fordspecialtools.com/Detail.aspx?id=795
Old 10/17/09, 10:01 AM
Cobra Member

Hey Colby,
Just checking to see if you have made any progress on getting that valve seal issue fixed yet?
Scott

Hey buddy...Been busy chasing meth heads and attempted murder suspects..fun huh..

Haven't done anything yet, but I actually just sent a PM to the guy saying he would loan me the comp tool if I bought the wedge tool.

Figured I would wait till the weather got a little nasty incase it sits for awhile..

How goes Ohio?
Old 10/18/09, 04:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey buddy...Been busy chasing meth heads and attempted murder suspects..fun huh..

Haven't done anything yet, but I actually just sent a PM to the guy saying he would loan me the comp tool if I bought the wedge tool.

Figured I would wait till the weather got a little nasty incase it sits for awhile..

How goes Ohio?

HeyColby,
If you want to get the job done sooner come to Ohio. Been rainy, cold and windy the past 2 weeks. It's supposed to be sunny today and 50 but is 26 degrees right now. Burr!! Where global warmer at these days? Geez!.. Stay safe and report back on your future progress.
Old 10/18/09, 11:06 PM
Cobra Member

I still need to hear your story why your not getting a SC. I'm hoping to by next summer. But it will be after a few more mods. For some reason the ol lady doesn't like the sound of my tranny being dumped for a mod while I still have 5 years of warranty left. lol
Old 10/19/09, 04:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I still need to hear your story why your not getting a SC. I'm hoping to by next summer. But it will be after a few more mods. For some reason the ol lady doesn't like the sound of my tranny being dumped for a mod while I still have 5 years of warranty left. lol
PM me your work schedule and I will give ya a call.

Quick Reply: Compression results....To be continued