GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Comp Cams install help

Search this Thread

Old 4/27/06, 11:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok, so as some of you may know, I have wanted cams for this car since before I picked it up. Well, the time has finally come, Doug has them in stock, I have sacked up and am ready to drop $1150 on them, but I have been calling around for installation, and the better shops like Chicane want around $700 for install...... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon24.gif[/img] so it looks like I am back to my original plan of doing it myself. I have never done ANY work on cars before this one, and on this I have done intake, shifter, full stereo with subs, and 4.30s. The gears were a female dog, a lot of small adjustments, but in the end I got it right, they are quiet no whine. I am going to have a friend help me, the same one that helped with the gears and I am hoping the cams go in nicely and smoothly.

So, has anybody on here installed cams on maybe a previous mod mustang? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] any tips or advice or things I need to know about? I think I know where I can borrow the valve spring compressor, and I am pretty sure that is the only special tool I need.

I am going to call Doug today, and see what the story with his car is, and if he has tunes ready for the cams. He has 2500 in stock and I plan to change that to 2499 before this week is out.

Lastly, Dustin or somebody, can you hook me up with the pdf files I will need? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] Also any of the near by things that will need to be removed. I am not sure how much stuff I need to take off to get the front chain covers off the motor. I am hoping its not too bad, but I have no clue how to do it right. my email is emperorjordan @ gmail .com

and I will document my install the best I can, and take videos of the first start up.

Thanks guys, and wish me luck!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/27/06, 11:47 AM
Cobra Member

On older blocks this wouldnt be such a problem but you are talking about fooling around with variable cam timing. If you do one thing wrong you will have to pull the entire engine cover and time the engine from scratch. You need a special Ford tool to compress the valve springs too.

I have always done everything myself (except for the gears) when it came to my car but there is no way I would swap cams by myself.

You have to have it tuned anyways, might as well let somebody do the job in full.

-Dan
Old 4/27/06, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(emperorjordan @ April 27, 2006, 10:26 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>I am going to call Doug today, and see what the story with his car is, and if he has tunes ready for the cams. He has 2500 in stock and I plan to change that to 2499 before this week is out. [/b][/quote]

If you talk to Doug, please let us know about availability. I doubt he really has 2500 "in stock", but then again, I only need two (not sure why you only want one, though [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img] ). If cams are really available and ready to ship right now, and I can get them before my motor is ready to go back together, I may spring for a pair.
Old 4/27/06, 11:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

thats what people told me about the gears, but I didnt those myself and had no probs, although it was a PITA to do. None of the shops around here that do it have dynos so I have to go somewhere else for that anyway. I plan to use Dougs canned tune for the cams in the beginning then get it dynoed.

is the valve spring compressor the only special tool I need?

and the other question, how do I find top dead center on here? I know how to do it on a motorcycle, but that involved a kickstarter and rolling the bike, how is it done on a car? I assume that you want it at TDC before you start swapping cams.

and not only do I not have the $$$ at the moment to pay for install, I really enjoy working on my car, and want to learn how to get it done.

don, if you get cams too, you will officially have the hottest 2005 in california.

and I meant SETS of cams... not one side, silly.
Old 4/27/06, 12:09 PM

Jordan... one more question for Doug.

His website says, "First, ALL of the cams for the new 3 Valve engine require new valve springs and retainers." Can you ask him why new springs and retainers are required? I'm getting a complete set of P&P heads, that already have upgraded springs and valves, so I don't want to find out that they won't work together.
Old 4/27/06, 12:21 PM
Cobra Member

Don's car will be wicked but it wont be "officially the hottest" in California. The shop cars will have the pick at that honor.

-Dan
Old 4/27/06, 12:52 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cleveland @ April 27, 2006, 11:24 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Don's car will be wicked but it wont be "officially the hottest" in California. The shop cars will have the pick at that honor.

-Dan
[/b][/quote]

I agree... I have no intention of having the "hottest" 2005 in California. The guys with roll cages and mucho boost will smoke me with no problem. I'm only looking for mid 11's (just above the roll bar threshold of 11.49). heck, my tuner, Adam, will likely be running in the 9's when he's done with his car. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img]

But, there won't be too many 05/06's in San Diego that will run with me. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 4/27/06, 12:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

by hottest, I meant hottest "real" car. not fastest or most mods, or most custom. I just love your car. haha. and cams + Kenne Bell + the built motor is a winner in my book. and I like the look too.

Doug said a while back that they need the new springs because the stock springs wont support lift about a certain number, and all of the Comp Cams go beyond that number.
Old 4/27/06, 01:13 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(emperorjordan @ April 27, 2006, 12:00 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
by hottest, I meant hottest "real" car. not fastest or most mods, or most custom. I just love your car. haha. and cams + Kenne Bell + the built motor is a winner in my book. and I like the look too. [/b][/quote]
OK... well in that case, I agree. LOL [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(emperorjordan @ April 27, 2006, 12:00 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>Doug said a while back that they need the new springs because the stock springs wont support lift about a certain number, and all of the Comp Cams go beyond that number.
[/b][/quote]
I guess I need to get some more technical details. The heads I bought already have upgraded (i.e., stronger) springs. But, I don't know if they are sufficient for these cams. I also need to find out how deep the reliefs are cut into my new pistons, so that if I get a higher lift cam I can be sure the valves won't smack the pistons.
Old 4/27/06, 02:45 PM
Cobra Member

fine, if you want a contest of hottest in California by that definition you can place me in that bunch looking for the title.

-Dan
Old 4/27/06, 02:50 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cleveland @ April 27, 2006, 1:48 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
fine, if you want a contest of hottest in California by that definition you can place me in that bunch looking for the title.

-Dan
[/b][/quote]
Bring it!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/box2.gif[/img]
Old 4/27/06, 03:12 PM

I went to Doug's website (www.bamachips.com) and summarized the info he has posted there for the cams into an Excel spreadsheet. I mainly did it so I could see the specs side-by-side. Here is a link the the spreadsheet: CompCamSpecs.xls
Old 4/27/06, 03:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

don I love it when you do that!

ok so I called doug, his car is STILL in the shop, he said he will get it back next week then a guy from comp cams is coming and will put the cams on and then a couple weeks after that he should have a tune and video for us. Thats the basic story, I also asked about the different grinds, and the bamachips grind is more agressive than the 300, but less than the 350, and is good for NA or blown applications. I want the roughest, meanest idle I can get.

Tools required, the valve spring compressor and the puller for the chain and stuff i think, they are both specific to the 3v motor..... I thought the spring compressor was the same as the 2v and 4v motors...... thats not good, I dont want to have to buy any tunes.

Soi guess I will have to wait a little bit before I buy them, unless I find a good tuner locally...... Don, you use adam..... does he take dougs tune and modify the A/F and timing on that keeping all of dougs other settings, or does he start from scratch and scrap dougs tune? I would take my car to get dynoed and tuned, but I dont want to lose the stuff doug has done on the tune. Also, how much does Adam run for tuning?

and don, I want to call Adam and see how much he wants for install and tune but the number on the site in your sig is a fax number.......
Old 4/27/06, 03:48 PM

As far as I know, Doug's tunes are proprietary and can't be modified by someone else. I could be wrong though. Either way, Adam builds his own tunes. I don't know what he would charge for tuning. And the phone number I have is also (909) 388-2536... maybe someone forgot to switch the fax off and phone on. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]

BTW, did Doug confirm that he actually has cams ready to ship? I don't need to wait on a tune...
Old 4/27/06, 03:49 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ April 27, 2006, 1:53 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Bring it!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/box2.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
Your goal is to come as close as possible to the 11.49 right?

Mine is to get kicked off the track with the stock engine hopefully intact by the end of the day. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

-Dan
Old 4/27/06, 03:54 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cleveland @ April 27, 2006, 2:52 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Your goal is to come as close as possible to the 11.49 right?[/b][/quote]

Well, kinda... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img] I'd like to consistently run 11.50s on an 8 - 10 psi pulley and pump gas. Now, maybe some day - on the last pass - I might throw on the 15psi pulley (with race gas) and let 'er rip. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to get kicked out with a 10-sec timeslip. hehe [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 4/27/06, 04:22 PM
Cobra Member

I thought I read somewhere that the engine needed to be pulled (or at least lifted) for head/cam work...Is this true?
Old 4/27/06, 04:44 PM
Cobra Member

Well, to pull the heads, the front engine cover has to come off so you either have to pull the motor or fight the limited amount of room in the engine bay.

-Dan
Old 4/27/06, 05:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

actually, I have read about several people pulling heads on the 05s with out liftingthe motor. there is a LOT more room than the last model stangs. for cams, there is pleanty of room to work with.

so yeah, doug does have cams in stock and ready to ship, becuase i talked to him about getting them now or waiting.... so don, which ones were you looking at getting? i was waiting for somebody to get them in first so I can hear if they are agressive enough for my tastes..... if you get it running before doug...... dangit, i wanted to be the first one to do it. lol.

anyway, I am all excited and I have the money, and I really really dont want to wait, so I am looking for a close by tuner. Thats the other thing, if i put em in myself, chances are im gonna have to trailor it, right? or do you guys think it will be driveable if im really easy on it with out a tune?
Old 4/27/06, 05:46 PM
Cobra Member

Those are answers only an experienced tuner can come up with. Dont take our words on any of it, if you $%&# up with variable cam timing, your engine is boned.

-Dan

Quick Reply: Comp Cams install help