GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Cold Air Intake Help

Search this Thread

Old 4/14/06, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone. I'm seriously considering purchasing a CAI and Doug's tunes from Bamachips. I sent him an email but I haven't received an email back. Maybe it's because of my work email. I had a few quick questions. Is there any real difference between the C&L and the JLT? I was leaning more towards the JLT because I can't justify paying an extra 200 for the same performance. Can you hear the intake after the install? Does it make the exhaust louder? How long and hard is it to install? I'm learning as I go and the more input the better. Thanks for your help!
Old 4/14/06, 01:35 PM

I think Doug is out of the C&L intake right now but im not 100% sure. Here is the information he sent me a while ago

On a 4.6 I focus in where the factory left off, the mid range torque curve. My 4.6 programs are aimed more at adding more torque in the 1500-3500 rpm range and with the performance program more top end power as well. On all of my products I can raise or remove the rev and speed limiters and on automatics I can improve the shift quality as well. Also with the 05 ups I have the ability to remap the Drive-By-Wire throttle system to further help the throttle response and get rid of that annoying lag time.

I normally create three programs, an 87 and 91/93 performance and a 91/93 torque, depending on what grade of fuel is available in your area. The Torque and Performance programs differ in the range they are aimed at for making power. The Torque is more so a daily driver program that focuses in on the 1500-3500 rpm's band. In order to do so well in that range though it does give up a few HP up top and this is why I break it apart from my Performance adjustments. The Performance program is aimed at more of a 3000rpm and up rpm band focusing in more on the top end horsepower and all out performance driving. This is a great track tune but also works well daily driven. Any of my programs are safe to use for daily driving unless you request a race only tune. I've just recently developed a mid grade or 89 Performance program so if you'd like to substitute it for any of the others then just let me know.

I can adjust for most CAI kits on the market today so please be sure and state if you have one of these kits or plan on purchasing one in the future. If you do buy one later on simply let me know and I can email you a new file for your new CAI. I sell the C&L and X-2 combo for $749 or the JLT2 and X-2 Combo for $549. Either produce very simliar numbers on the dyno, around 285rwhp and 305 rwtq with a manual or 285rwhp and 295 rwtq from an auto, both with my 91/93 programming.

The information I'll need from you for your specific vehicle is this...

1.) Year Model
2.) Engine size and auto or manual
3.) Calibration Code 4 digit
4.) Tire size
5.) Axle code or gear ratio
6.) List of mods you've done or plan on doing soon.
7.) Premium Grade of fuel available in your area, 91, 92, or 93 octane.

Even if most of your vehicle is stock I will need to know these items due to differences in the base files for each computer. Attached is a photo showing the calibration code location. It's the four-digit code written on the side of the PCM under the hood to the left of the radiator. The axle code is written on the inside of the driver's door on the white label, it will be a two-digit code of two letters.

I charge $50 per program and I can put them in either the XTR format or LLF3 format. The differences in the formats is the user options and the software used to upload them to your X-2. The LLF3 is the newer software and uses the LiveLoad software to upload to your X-2, it also will retain the user options on the handheld unit. The XTR file is the older version which uses the Extreme Tuning software and disables the user options for the tune you select to load. It can have adjustments made the the files but only on a PC and then uploaded to the X-2.

I can email these to you or if you'd like I can send them to you on a CD-rom, please add $5 for shipping if you choose this option. The files are around 1mb each so if you are on a dial-up connection then I recommend the CD-rom option.

For payments I accept Paypal payments using this email address and money orders. I do have the ability of accepting credit cards now using a new feature from Paypal that doesn't require you to sign up for an account. I do have to send you an invoice so just let me know if you'd like to use this. For any product you choose please add $5 shipping to the final cost. This is the correct email address to submit the paypal payment to so if you are ready to order and know which product you would like feel free to send payment including shipping if you are familiar with paypal.

Feel free to ask any questions that I may not have covered, as I know I can't get every detail in one email. I'll be happy to help.

Thanks, Doug.

As for the diffrence between both intakes they both produce the same power on the dyno so maybe its jus a choice of prefrence. Can't go wrong with either intakes. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/14/06, 04:02 PM

Thanks so much for your help! That has a lot of good info. Now all I have to do is decide which one I want. Thanks again!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DjSaL @ April 14, 2006, 1:38 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I think Doug is out of the C&L intake right now but im not 100% sure. Here is the information he sent me a while ago
On a 4.6 I focus in where the factory left off, the mid range torque curve. My 4.6 programs are aimed more at adding more torque in the 1500-3500 rpm range and with the performance program more top end power as well. On all of my products I can raise or remove the rev and speed limiters and on automatics I can improve the shift quality as well. Also with the 05 ups I have the ability to remap the Drive-By-Wire throttle system to further help the throttle response and get rid of that annoying lag time.

I normally create three programs, an 87 and 91/93 performance and a 91/93 torque, depending on what grade of fuel is available in your area. The Torque and Performance programs differ in the range they are aimed at for making power. The Torque is more so a daily driver program that focuses in on the 1500-3500 rpm's band. In order to do so well in that range though it does give up a few HP up top and this is why I break it apart from my Performance adjustments. The Performance program is aimed at more of a 3000rpm and up rpm band focusing in more on the top end horsepower and all out performance driving. This is a great track tune but also works well daily driven. Any of my programs are safe to use for daily driving unless you request a race only tune. I've just recently developed a mid grade or 89 Performance program so if you'd like to substitute it for any of the others then just let me know.

I can adjust for most CAI kits on the market today so please be sure and state if you have one of these kits or plan on purchasing one in the future. If you do buy one later on simply let me know and I can email you a new file for your new CAI. I sell the C&L and X-2 combo for $749 or the JLT2 and X-2 Combo for $549. Either produce very simliar numbers on the dyno, around 285rwhp and 305 rwtq with a manual or 285rwhp and 295 rwtq from an auto, both with my 91/93 programming.

The information I'll need from you for your specific vehicle is this...

1.) Year Model
2.) Engine size and auto or manual
3.) Calibration Code 4 digit
4.) Tire size
5.) Axle code or gear ratio
6.) List of mods you've done or plan on doing soon.
7.) Premium Grade of fuel available in your area, 91, 92, or 93 octane.

Even if most of your vehicle is stock I will need to know these items due to differences in the base files for each computer. Attached is a photo showing the calibration code location. It's the four-digit code written on the side of the PCM under the hood to the left of the radiator. The axle code is written on the inside of the driver's door on the white label, it will be a two-digit code of two letters.

I charge $50 per program and I can put them in either the XTR format or LLF3 format. The differences in the formats is the user options and the software used to upload them to your X-2. The LLF3 is the newer software and uses the LiveLoad software to upload to your X-2, it also will retain the user options on the handheld unit. The XTR file is the older version which uses the Extreme Tuning software and disables the user options for the tune you select to load. It can have adjustments made the the files but only on a PC and then uploaded to the X-2.

I can email these to you or if you'd like I can send them to you on a CD-rom, please add $5 for shipping if you choose this option. The files are around 1mb each so if you are on a dial-up connection then I recommend the CD-rom option.

For payments I accept Paypal payments using this email address and money orders. I do have the ability of accepting credit cards now using a new feature from Paypal that doesn't require you to sign up for an account. I do have to send you an invoice so just let me know if you'd like to use this. For any product you choose please add $5 shipping to the final cost. This is the correct email address to submit the paypal payment to so if you are ready to order and know which product you would like feel free to send payment including shipping if you are familiar with paypal.

Feel free to ask any questions that I may not have covered, as I know I can't get every detail in one email. I'll be happy to help.

Thanks, Doug.

As for the diffrence between both intakes they both produce the same power on the dyno so maybe its jus a choice of prefrence. Can't go wrong with either intakes. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
Old 4/14/06, 04:09 PM

No problem. Im sure either one will be a good product that you wont regret. JLT is good for the reason you can get the painted on to the color of your car. I personally went with C&L since i heard allot of good things of them. Im sure you wont be dissapointed with Dougs tunes.
Old 4/14/06, 06:11 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I plan on going to the dyno with Doug next Saturday (22nd) and he's going to try out the AirRaid & Tunable Induction (DeMolet) CAI's on my car so he'll be able to offer tunes on those as well.

As for email, I tried a few times, but finally just called him.
Old 4/14/06, 07:59 PM
Cobra R Member

To answer your other question. I have the JLT and I love the sound it makes sucking air.
Old 4/14/06, 08:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The JLT is a great product and now has a heat shield. Performance is great and it really sucks (air) but it won't make your exhaust louder. You will have to buy Borlas for that~
Old 4/16/06, 04:00 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. This week I think I'll be making the order to get Doug's tunes. From what it sounds like it should be a great difference.