GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 7/4/07, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold Air Intake

Hey Guys,

First of all, great site here. I've got an 07 GT Convertible Grabber Orange loaded with just about everything you can get from the factory. Stripped it up first, now looking to make some modest performance enhancements. I have decided on the FRPP GTA mufflers and the FRPP X-pipe. After all the posts I've read, I'll let the muffler shop install and weld. I see too many stories about alignment and rattling issues. I see different exhaust systems for the hardtop and the convertible. Does one X-pipe fit all?

My big question is what cold air intake is the best with this set-up. Is the FRPP CAI okay? I see that many of you are running many different brands. Is there one that has the highest percentage of users. Also, I went to several different websites of the various brands and was even more confused. There seem to be 3-6 models of the same thing. I was also confused by the different 'tunes" available. So with 6 models and 4 or 5 tunes there seems to be 30 combinations? I've seached these threads all morning and cannot find an explanation. I am not looking for full race just a good combination of parts to help the car get down the road a little faster.

I have also looked at some of the "superchips" type tuners. Is the "tuner" with the CAI the same thing? I would hate to start tuning this and tuning that and fry the old factory computer. Is the factory warranty affected in any way with these modifications?

And finally, I am in Houston. I already have the muffler shop. Does anyone know who does good work installing the CAI?

Sorry if I have asked too many questions. I just want to do this once and do it right. Many thanks in advance.
Old 7/4/07, 10:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The most popular no-hassle and best price setup is the JLT cai/SCT tuner from bamachips.com. You get 3 tunes with it. If you can get 93 octane make sure you get the 93 race tune. The other two are up for endless debate, but I got 91 performance and 91 torque for backup tunes if I'm somewhere there's no 93 octane. You can get 87/89 variations too, but everyone ends up using the highest octane tunes for the available fuel in their area as higher octane tunes make more power with little to no loss(if not gain) in fuel economy. If you search, there are about 200 threads on CAI's. There are no 'chips' on the new cars, you reprogram the cars computer.
Old 7/5/07, 05:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FRPP intake is a waste of time, seems like.

I'd go with a C&L intake and SCT tuner. Bamachips, Brenspeed, TillmanSpeed, take your pick.
Old 7/5/07, 08:54 AM
Cobra R Member

Welcome to the forum. You will find endless "user tests" of products here. Just like google, you have to play around with the search button. I am a big fan of JLT and Bama, but C & L and other tunes abound. I would get from bama, one race tune and torque tune in the highest octane that is available in your area. You may want a tune in the 87 range so If you travel and may run into lower octanes being the only ones available, you are not stuck. You can upload the lower tune at the gas station and drive on (just make sure you run several tanks of your normal octane back in to your car before you reflash it to the higher tune).

Short of a new set of gears, a CAI and tune is your biggest attention grabber (BTW a set of long tube headers is a close 3rd).

Have fun
Old 7/5/07, 02:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Steeda is claiming that their CAI outgains all other CAI's by 5hp over the entire RPM range so it justdepends on who you want to believe. I'm happy with my setup to include the tune. Once I put in the 4.10's I'll get a dyno tune which will squeeze more rwhp and torque than the canned tunes provide.

Don't worry, there's always something to add...