GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 10/19/06, 06:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold Air Intake

I am considering installing a cold air intake, is it neccessary to purchase a calibrator to change the settings in the computer? or can I just install the new intake without it. I'm not planning to do too many mods to the engine right away and I don't want to waste my money purchasing a calibator I may never use again.

And I would love suggestions on which cold air intake to purchase
Old 10/19/06, 07:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well, there is a big thread on Granatelli Motor Sports CAI. Do a search for CAI. I was thinking the same way. That I wouldn't buy a tuner for ahwile. The Granatelli comes with a recalibrated flow sensor so, you don't get engine warning lights.
Old 10/19/06, 08:11 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can get an intake with or without the tuner. You will get more out of your car with the tuner though. The granatelli is the best intake that doesn't require a tune. Probably the best tuner/intake combo is the jlt/sct combo or the c&l/sct combo. Call Doug at http://bamachips.com/ and he'll set you up with something nice. I was going to just go the intake route but decided to get the tuner because I knew I would want more power, and I still want more!
Old 10/19/06, 08:41 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The majority of cold air intakes require a re-tune to run properly,

Two of the better intakes that do not require a tune are the MRT intake and the K&N kit.
Old 10/19/06, 09:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you purchase and install a CAI that doesn't require a tune, you may pick up HP & TQ, but you won't get rid of the built-in throttle lag. That can only be removed via a flash tuner.
Old 10/19/06, 09:58 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
IF you install a non-factory standard MAF and/or airbox, you will need a tune or the correct air transfer function.

I asked Steeda about getting the air transfer function, but they wouldn't give anything out unless you bought their CAI from them directly and only then would they possibly give you the air transfer function via SCT.

With the SCT Pro Racer Package and the Advantage software, you really just need the MAF Voltage or AD Counts with corresponding flow in #/min. Pro-M used to include flow sheets for their MAFs.

Seeing how all the air intake kits use inferior cotton gauze filters, I will stick with the factory stock box + paper filter since the paper filter is superior to the K&N-style filter in terms of protecting the engine.
Old 10/19/06, 10:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I just installed the GMS w/MAF (Granatelli motorsports) A HUGE improvement over stock. (quicker throttle response, a throatier rumble from the exhaust and a much quicker car). A bit more expensive, but well worth the extra dollars spent, and the intake tube is not a cheap plastic/rubber piece. NO TUNE REQUIRED! is the best part, as I may/may not decide to put more power adder's on the engine. With what I plan to do, the tuner/re-flash will be my last improvement, which may be a year or so down the road. Would not want to have to keep changing the tune as each piece is added on.
Old 10/19/06, 12:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by smokenpony
I am considering installing a cold air intake, is it neccessary to purchase a calibrator to change the settings in the computer? or can I just install the new intake without it. I'm not planning to do too many mods to the engine right away and I don't want to waste my money purchasing a calibator I may never use again.

And I would love suggestions on which cold air intake to purchase
For what it seems you want to do, or not do rather, the GMS CAI is the best option. It doesn't require a tune, or tuning tool, very easy to install, no modification to any factory parts so you could convert it back to stock very easily if you had to. That was a big plus for me. The horsepower gains are comparable to any other CAI with a tune, and superior to other CAI's that don't require a tune.
Old 10/19/06, 01:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Here's my .02 cents...Don't rush into a purchase. Make a plan of what you want out of your car and proceed slowly. Do your homework as you are doing now. I have over $1000 worth of parts in my garage that I'm not going to use anymore because I really didn't know where I was going when I started. For example, I bought the S&B CAI (no tune) because I didn't want to mess with the computer (warranty). That lasted about 3 months and I wanted more power, so I went with the C&L and XCAL2. Both CAIs with the tuner are almost $1000 and the S&B now sits in a box, now look at my sig...I wouldn't even dare walk into a dealer unless I knew they were mod friendly. Since then I've gotten smarter and taken my time. I wanted more power (who doesn't?) and was going to buy the Pypes from Brenspeed. I held off until I really figured out what I wanted and just bought catted Kooks last night.

If you're going to eventually want more power, either hold off on buying power adders, or just go ahead and buy them. Going down the middle road will cost you mucho $$$$$... Again, just my .02....O.K, so maybe it's like .05...
Old 10/19/06, 01:39 PM
Bullitt Member

If you are worried about a warranty go with Steeda which Ford installs. That way you get the performance you need and you can have three tunes on an SCT Xcal that will let you choose how you want to run. I agree with Scramblr, don't waste your money by stepping up your power slowly through multiple add-ons. Do it right the first time with a good CAI and an exhaust system that will give a better sound and performance.
Old 10/19/06, 01:39 PM
GTR Member

I'm starting to see a trend where parts vendors are force-feeding you canned tunes or mystifying the act of tuning your car because you had the money to buy a new Mustang GT and can afford aftermarket mods. I have 1 tuner per Ford and I use the Advantage software to make my own tunes. If I cannot get the air transfer function for a particular airbox/MAF mod, I won't buy it because chances are the tooner wants me to buy their canned tune.

At the very least, they should provide a flowsheet with their MAF and cone filter so the end-user is free to change the tune however they wish (take it to a SCT tuner, or get it dyno tuned, or do it themself via the PRP). 1 reason this does not happen is because the vendor simply bought a MAF and adapted a conical K&N filter and never bench flowed it to get actual numbers.
Old 10/19/06, 01:41 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by RKNMACH
If you are worried about a warranty go with Steeda which Ford installs. That way you get the performance you need and you can have three tunes on an SCT Xcal that will let you choose how you want to run. I agree with Scramblr, don't waste your money by stepping up your power slowly through multiple add-ons. Do it right the first time with a good CAI and an exhaust system that will give a better sound and performance.

Do we have anything in writing that states the Steeda CAI kit, installed by yourself or your dealership, does not void the 5 year factory powetrain warranty? Even the FRPP kit appears to have a 1 year warranty (Summit Racing's webpage).
Old 10/19/06, 01:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

If you are worried about a warranty go with Steeda which Ford installs.
The key being that Ford must actually install it. Remember that just because Ford endorses it doesn't mean they'll backup the aftermarket part under warranty if they determine the part contributed to a failure. Same goes for FRPP parts.
Old 10/19/06, 01:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Can't imagine a CAI causing any type of failure.
Old 10/19/06, 02:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

If it's a larger MAF and you don't tune your car properly you're going to get detonation which eventually =
Old 10/19/06, 02:05 PM
Bullitt Member

I want to thank everyone for their input, you've given me some good ideas and i'll take my time and not rush into anything.
Old 10/19/06, 02:39 PM
Bullitt Member

It is a larger MAF and I do have the tunes for it. I also have a good dealer. Plus, I don't race it on a strip and it's pretty tough to get into with traffic density around DC - no autobahns here.
Old 10/19/06, 02:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

no autobahns here.
Bummer...

Old 10/19/06, 02:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

If i have the dealer install my FRPP X-pipe and Shelby GT mufflers. Will Ford still honor my factory warranty?
Old 10/19/06, 02:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Exhaust changes should not void the warranty.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake