GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Coast Aluminum Driveline Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 2/13/07, 08:44 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coast Aluminum Driveline Reviews

I want to get a feel for how happy or unhappy everyone is with their driveshaft purchase. I saw one post already about UPS nearly mangling it. I hope that the DRIVESHAFT itself is okay, and just the packaging is mangled. Maybe they threw it on for a test drive on the old brown truck?

Anyway, let me know what you did like and don't like about the actual installed piece. I know some of you are waiting for install still. I think I know of one that is being installed tomorrow, and one currently installed.

Do you think it is a quality piece? Not a quality piece? Pros / Cons?

Let's hear it!
Old 2/13/07, 09:22 PM
Banned

I do not have one of these DS to install, but I definately like seeing vendors listening to the "people". Brownie points for you my friend .
Old 2/13/07, 09:31 PM
Former Vendor

Hey, thanks!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/14/07, 09:20 AM

Mine is installed as we speak, but still at the shop. My installer called me to say that my steeda sport springs and the driveshaft is installed, but because we are snowed in right now in Michigan he hasn't driven it yet. However, I asked him about the quality of the piece and ease of install. He said the quality was great, and install and clearance with the springs is great with no adjustments at this point. He still has to drive it to be sure of the clearance issue. I will get the car tomorrow and give my opinion at that time as well. He also could not believe the price compared to the quality of the piece. I will write more when I get the car tomorrow.
Old 2/14/07, 11:25 AM
Former Vendor

Awesome! Have him check pinion angles, and relocate the emergency cable 1.5" away from the driveshaft as specified here:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=60144

You'll love it!!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/14/07, 03:20 PM
Cobra Member

How thick is the driveshaft? 4"?
Old 2/14/07, 03:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustangfreak
How thick is the driveshaft? 4"?
Yep...... 4".
Old 2/14/07, 03:35 PM
Former Vendor

Coast 4" Aluminum Driveshaft with Dana-Spicer joints, new hardware, balanced to within 1/8 of a gram! Comes complete and bolts to stock pinion flange! Weighs 17lbs, versus the stock 39lb steel driveshaft! Aluminum has better dampening characteristics than steel, and will work with both Manual and Auto GT's!

$589.99 SHIPPED TO THE DOOR!

UPDATE: Fitment issues are not a problem.

Lowered vehicles with just simple springs such as Eibach, Steeda, FRPP, etc will need to just verify pinion angle. For precautionary purposes, there is a bolt holding the emergency brake cable up towards the rear of the driveshaft tunnel. Simply unbolt it, and move the emergency brake away from the driveshaft 1.5". That's all!

For vehicles lowered more than your typical lowering springs 2"+, you will want to do the modification above PLUS there are two spots on the driveshaft tunnel that need massaging. In the middle of the floor tunnel, there is a stamping approximately 3/4" x 4" wide. Bump this down flat using a rubber mallot, or whatever you prefer. And one last spot...Back where that emergency cable bolt was you'll find a 2" by 3/8" wide lip. Bump that up flat and you're done! Make sure you check your pinion angle too. You may need adjustable control arms. That is all! Nothing else to it!

Will not fit Saleen Short Shifter Adaptors!

These are balanced to within 1/8 of a gram, and WILL NOT VIBRATE as long as your pinion angles are correct.

The price is $589.99 shipped.

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/15/07, 10:40 AM
GT Member

Hey CR,
Any of the D/S installs that you know about involve an Auto with the Eibach Pro Kit (or springs with similar drop)? I am itching to buy one of these things but want to make sure there aren't any issues with vibration or clearance with that combo. I was trying to wait for the Driveshaft shop's 3.5inch D/S so I wouldn't have to worry about clearance, but they are lagging on the Automatic version.

I treat my car like a lady and don't want to have to beat dents in her tunnel to accomodate my massive 4 inch diameter shaft.
Old 2/15/07, 10:49 AM
Former Vendor

With the pro kit the only thing you'll have to do is the relocation of the emergency cable bracket at the rear of the driveshaft tunnel approximately 1.5" away from the driveshaft. There are two spots on the driveshaft tunnel that CAN be massaged, but we didn't have to on our prokit/driveshaft combination install we did here last week. If it was a drop lower than the pro kit I'd say you have to do the massaging of the tunnel. Just check your pinion angles and you'll be fine!

LMAO @ that comment... this whole post of mine sounds dirty now!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/15/07, 01:59 PM
GT Member

Two last questions:

to relocate the e-brake cable, do I just drill a new hole 1.5 inches away and remount?

also, when you did your install, what did you set the pinon angle to. -2deg?

thanks for your help.
Old 2/15/07, 02:30 PM
Former Vendor

That is exactly how you would relocate the ebrake cable.

For the pinion angle, between -2.7 and -3 is what stock is set at.

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/15/07, 09:28 PM
Cobra Member

my car has the pro kit on it as well and there doesn't seem to be any issues to speak of at this point