GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Clutch Pedal Travel

Search this Thread

Old 1/26/05, 09:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everyone!

What is the clutch pedal travel like (i.e. short, long, stiff, etc.)? Can it be adjusted if its not to my liking? I didn't have an opportunity to drive one when I ordered my GT back on January 10.

Cheers,
Jon
Old 1/27/05, 07:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
It is easy, but not like melted butter. I don't think you can change it though. You do have to push it to the floor to turn the car on, but to change gears, you only have to push it slightly in.
Old 1/27/05, 07:32 AM
Jackass

Seems like I've heard nothing but great things about the clutch.
Old 1/27/05, 08:01 AM
V6 Member

On Sept 24 Hugo 6705 posted this.
I might try it myself at some point.

John, it is easy to do. I got everything I needed at Lowe's. Parts: 2-4"x4" metal electrical box "blanks"; 4- 1-1/4 inch bolt & nut & lock washer; 4 - 1 inch plastic spacers.
-Take off the rubber pedal cover
- Make a pattern of the clutch pedal, by tracing pedal
- Transfer pattern to metal blanks
- Cut first blank to match pattern (this will be used to place rubber pedal cover back on)
- Cut second blank to match pattern but leave six tabs equally spaced around the blank (these will be bent around clutch pedal to secure built-out pedal)
- Bend "blanks" to conform to clutch pedal shape
- Drill four holes to allow for bolts and spacers
- Attach the parts: first blank ... spacers ... second blank with bolts and nuts
- Attach rubber pedal conver to first blank
- Attach second blank to clutch pedal by bending tabs around pedal
This process built my clutch out about 1-1/4 inch. Different lenght spaces could be used to obtain desired build-out. I painted the piece black to blend in with clutch pedal assembly. Took about an hour and a half.
Old 2/24/06, 06:25 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kluski @ January 27, 2005, 9:34 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
It is easy, but not like melted butter. I don't think you can change it though. You do have to push it to the floor to turn the car on, but to change gears, you only have to push it slightly in.
[/b][/quote]

It is OK to only slightly depress the clutch when shifting gears? I always push is all the way to the ground and being 6'2" with long legs, I have to pick my entire leg up off the ground in order to get a smooth shift. Anybody else with long legs found a good way to shift this car smoothly without moving your whole leg?
Old 2/24/06, 09:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, many people consider Honda clutches and gearboxes to be some of the best in the business (guess I should get my flame suit on [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img] ). My last car was an RSX-S, and the car had an excellent clutch and gearbox. I am happy to say that the clutch on the Mustang is very similar to my RSX, with the engagement point in the upper 3rd or so of travel. Pedal effort is only slightly higher than my RSX was, which I find amazing considering this car has more than twice as much torque. I love the clutch in the Mustang, although the gearbox does have a bit of room for improvement.

As for pushing the pedal all the way down, I can't remember the exact reason, but I remember hearing/reading that it is best to fully depress the clutch on each shift. Well, at least that's what I do. When I first started driving stick like 5 years ago, I tried to figure out how to fully depress the clutch without lifting my foot off the ground, but after a lot of trial and error I found it was the best way.
Old 2/24/06, 10:28 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kluski @ January 27, 2005, 9:34 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
but to change gears, you only have to push it slightly in.
[/b][/quote]

It's common knowledge where I come from that every time you operate your gearbox (changing gears or putting it in neutral), you always need to push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor.
"Pushing it slightly in" only, it's the best way to (most likely) mess up your gearbox pretty bad. So my humble suggestion is to push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor every time you operate your gearbox, unless of course you want to destroy it. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 2/24/06, 11:30 PM
V6 Member

Yes, fully depress the clutch when shifting.

on topic: I find the clutch to be firm with the throw to be a tad long. Too bad it isn't adjustable or even easily upgradeable like a short throw shifter.
Old 2/25/06, 07:30 AM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(atomicskiier01 @ February 24, 2006, 8:28 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
It is OK to only slightly depress the clutch when shifting gears? I always push is all the way to the ground and being 6'2" with long legs, I have to pick my entire leg up off the ground in order to get a smooth shift. Anybody else with long legs found a good way to shift this car smoothly without moving your whole leg?
[/b][/quote]

I have the same problem with big feet too! I find I can get a smoother shift wearing sneakers where I can use more ankle, but with dress shoes I usually have to use all leg to smooth it out. Try adjusting the tilt on the seat, I found that tilting it up more was better for my long legs.
Old 2/25/06, 12:16 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
moving over to the Tech and performance section
Old 2/25/06, 09:10 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the tips, sounds like I need to keep pressing the pedal in all the way.
Old 2/26/06, 12:26 PM
GT Member

It states in the manual you should depress the clutch all the way to the floor or it will cause harder shifting and prematurely wear out the clutch.
Old 3/2/06, 04:52 AM
Bullitt Member

It's my understanding that you do not need to push the clutch all the way to the floor. The clutch has a point at wich the clutch is fully disengaged but not all the way to the stop. Try idling on level ground in first gear with the clutch fully depressed and slowly letting the clutch out until you feel that car start to move. That's the point that the clutch engages. Anything below that point should be the same as all the way on the floor.

I have something called a Clutch Stop for my BMW that allows me to adjust the depth of the clutch pedal. I set it so that when pushed all the way to the floor it's just far enough that the car won't move. I also had to modify the pedal to rear the clutch switch so the car will start and cruise control will work. It's almost like a short shift kit for the clutch and allows me to shift quicker. I'm suprised there isn't something out there for the drag racing guys.

I will be doing the same to the mustang. So far I haven't found anyone that makes one for the Mustangs so I will be making a homemade one. I'll post back on my creations.

Jon
Old 3/2/06, 05:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thestoogeo @ March 2, 2006, 6:55 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
It's my understanding that you do not need to push the clutch all the way to the floor. The clutch has a point at wich the clutch is fully disengaged but not all the way to the stop. Try idling on level ground in first gear with the clutch fully depressed and slowly letting the clutch out until you feel that car start to move. That's the point that the clutch engages. Anything below that point should be the same as all the way on the floor.
Jon
[/b][/quote]

This is true. The reason the manual states that you should push it all the way to the floor is because they are covering themselves. If they simply said "push the clutch in to the point where it is fully disengaged" then they might have a lot of people pushing the clutch in a little, thinking it was disengaged, when in reality they are just slipping it and wearing it out.

If anyone who posted earlier can back their statements about pushing it to the floor each time, I'd love to hear their reasons in a bit more technical jargon than that "it will mess up your gearbox." I supposed that double clutching is bad for my tranny too, right? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 3/2/06, 03:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thestoogeo @ March 2, 2006, 3:55 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

I have something called a Clutch Stop for my BMW that allows me to adjust the depth of the clutch pedal. I set it so that when pushed all the way to the floor it's just far enough that the car won't move. I also had to modify the pedal to rear the clutch switch so the car will start and cruise control will work. It's almost like a short shift kit for the clutch and allows me to shift quicker. I'm suprised there isn't something out there for the drag racing guys.

I will be doing the same to the mustang. So far I haven't found anyone that makes one for the Mustangs so I will be making a homemade one. I'll post back on my creations.

Jon
[/b][/quote]

clutch stops are actually really nifty and work very well, but be prepared to stall a lot when you first install one. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img] We had one on my dads 2004 M3, which already engaged about 2 or 3 inches off the floor, far lower than this mustang or the regular 3 series. he took it off becuase he didnt like it for everyday use.... old man. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 3/2/06, 08:28 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(emperorjordan @ March 2, 2006, 3:23 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
clutch stops are actually really nifty and work very well, but be prepared to stall a lot when you first install one. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img] We had one on my dads 2004 M3, which already engaged about 2 or 3 inches off the floor, far lower than this mustang or the regular 3 series. he took it off becuase he didnt like it for everyday use.... old man. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

It took me a couple of days to get used to the one in my BMW. Now that it's there it's not even noticeable to me. It seems that are alot more common on the BMW's.

Jon