Changing to Adjustable Upper Control Arm

Search this Thread

Old 3/26/07, 01:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing to Adjustable Upper Control Arm

Anyone have good write up on this?
I may have to do it, but not sure yet.

I jut got the Coast Driveshaft and after installing it anything above 30mph makes my car feel like a massage chair it vibrates so much. I have to check the pinion angle to see if its off, and if it is then I need to do the UCA, if not and the shaft is just not balanced properly or something I'll be getting a new one. I have an 05 auto stock suspension.

So if you have a good writeup or any info about replacing the UCA post a link or anything is appreciated.
Old 3/26/07, 01:32 PM
Former Vendor

I'll try and find you a good write up. After we verify if the pinion angle is correct, we can send you out a new driveshaft. If the pinion angle is off, the adjustable UCA will take care of the issue. Let me find a good write up for you and I'll post it here.
Old 3/26/07, 01:34 PM
Former Vendor

Here is a GREAT write up that "thump_rrr" posted a while back at another forum with pictures:

----------------------------------------------------

I have had the Steeda third link in my car for around 400 of my 550 runs down the 1/4 mile. I haven't had any issues with it contacting the underbody. I'm also sitting on Steeda lowering springs which have a 1 1/4" drop in the rear. I can remove and install the Steeda third link in 1.5 hours without dropping the gas tank.

Here is the writeup on how to remove the third link including some pics.

1) Jack up rear of car from the center of the differential. Yeah I know Ford tells you not to do it.
Be careful not to catch the diff cover with the jack.

2)Place jackstands under stock jacking locations under rocker panels.
Lower jack just enough for the jackstands to take the weight of the vehicle without lowering the differential.
Disconnect the center links of the rear sway bar. Disconnect lower shock mounting bolts.

3) Remove rear seat and loosen upper link bracket as much as possible.

4) Lower differential as low as it goes

5) Remove 2 remaining bolts holding upper link bracket under the car.

6) Remove bolt connecting upper control arm to differential

7) Remove bolt holding third link to upper link bracket

Install in the reverse order of removal.
Old 3/26/07, 02:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks CR,

I'm hopefully going to get a chance to check the angle tonight and let you know. I'm hoping its ok and I was just unlucky and got the one defective shaft. It doesn't look like it would be alot of fun on my back trying to replace the UCA. I need a lift in my garage
If I wind up doing the UCA I may have to take it to a local shop, wont be as easy on the wallet, but will be easier on my back, LOL
Old 3/26/07, 05:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Why not Adj. lowers? Alot easier to change and adjust.
Old 3/26/07, 06:18 PM
Cobra Member

Well if you did not have vibration with the stock drive shaft and you do now with a new one ... don't you think that means the new one is out of spec?

When (if) you change out the UCA (or LCA), use new bolts. Torque to factory spec's.
Old 3/26/07, 09:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, my friend and I checked the stock pinion angle, then pulled it out and put the coast ds back in and checked it again. It was off some but not much. I then took it for another drive just to make sure and everything seems fine now????
Not sure if we just didn't have the spacer tight and even before or what, but everything seems to be ok. Stock angle was at 3 and 3.4 with the coast. Not right at the 2.7-3.0 but fairly close, even so, I may get an adjustable upper control arm just to be safe if I decide to lower the car.
So guess it was balanced fine after all. I'm just happy I don't have to ship it back and such.
Definatly feel a boost in power. I know it won't show on the dyno but the seat of the pants feel is about 20-30hp.

I got everything from CR at Tillman, and he is a great guy to work with. As soon as I notified him of my issue he told me what to check (which I should have done to begin with - he did tell me this over the phone when I ordered, lol) and assured me that if there was an issue with the part that he would take care of it, luckily for me everything worked out in the end and I didn't even have to worry about that.
Now I just need my loop which was on backorder, where's that at, hehe
Thanks CR
Old 3/26/07, 09:32 PM
Former Vendor

Dan,

Glad the whole mess cleared up. For future reference though, if the shaft was out of balance, we would have sent a prepaid UPS label. Makes it easier for you.

I'm glad you felt the response difference. Last one we installed here the customer was asking me to try it out, so I figured what the hell. I actually had driven the car with the factory unit this time. I was able to feel the difference... very nice!

The loop will be on it's way to you this week! Our BMR order is on it's way!

Side note: I REALLY appreciate everyone's patience with the BMR order, as I think we (as well as a few other companies) may have overwhelmed them quite a bit. They're really doing a SUPER job knocking the stuff out for us, though! BMR rocks!

CR
Tillman Speed
610-497-3711