GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Change plugs and coils, but issue?

Search this Thread

Old 6/2/13, 06:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Change plugs and coils, but issue?

So I just installed MSD coil packs and brisk spark plugs. When I pulled the drivers side there was moisture with all the plugs upon pulling them up. Passenger side was dry when removing the coils. So I went ahead and changed the spark plugs. Sprayed liquid wrench on the stock plugs to help removing them( due to all the horror stories of broken plugs), and no broken plugs!! I'm hoping that the liquid wrench will help displace the moisture. I though maybe a cylinder was misfiring? But upon start up with everything put on it was firing on all 8 and sounds smoother. Ran smoother upon taking it for a little spin. So thoughts on the moisture?? Should I worry, or no bc I changed everything with new parts? Thanks!
Old 6/2/13, 07:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 783 Likes on 572 Posts
the moisture is odd for sure but if everything is fine ..... then I think everything is fine
Old 6/3/13, 02:08 PM

I had my sparkplugs at 50,000 miles and 3 of them had rust from moisture. Gtr high performance told me it was common when they replaced them on 3 valve v8. I had no issue with the oem plugs before They where replaced for autolite ht0 after with no issue .It's normal no worries.

Last edited by mustang mike; 6/3/13 at 02:10 PM.
Old 6/3/13, 02:14 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is the moisture from inside the combustion chamber? Or in the plug well from say driving in the rain and/or condensation?

I would find it odd for condensation inside the combustion chamber - unless "they" are completely lying about E10/ethanol's moisture absorption not harming engines.

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/3/13 at 02:16 PM.
Old 6/3/13, 07:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Is the moisture from inside the combustion chamber? Or in the plug well from say driving in the rain and/or condensation?

I would find it odd for condensation inside the combustion chamber - unless "they" are completely lying about E10/ethanol's moisture absorption not harming engines.
Inside the camber. It was like opening a cork in a way. As when I pulled the coil pack water went everywhere.

Last edited by Corstang427; 6/3/13 at 07:13 PM.
Old 6/4/13, 08:41 PM
Bullitt Member

What heat range spark plugs did you use and type when it comes to spark plugs I would stay motor craft cause they make them specifically for mustang make model and year. Also double platinum try that
Old 6/5/13, 06:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by shaunrc
What heat range spark plugs did you use and type when it comes to spark plugs I would stay motor craft cause they make them specifically for mustang make model and year. Also double platinum try that
Brisk 3VR14S one heat range colder. I've started the car twice and usually I could see the water evaporate in a kinda smokey screen. Nothing so far, maybe a bad coil?
Old 6/5/13, 06:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Brisk 3VR14S one heat range colder. Seems to have fixed the problem. That and the new coil packs.
Old 6/5/13, 07:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Corstang427

Brisk 3VR14S one heat range colder. Seems to have fixed the problem. That and the new coil packs.
Ok so is the problem gone? And you can see water evaporate ?? From where?
Old 6/5/13, 08:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ok so is the problem gone? And you can see water evaporate ?? From where?
Use to after sitting for awhile I would start it up and on the drivers side the water would evaporate and smoke from the coils. After that ran fine, now when I start up no smoke and pulled the coils and there is no moisture to be seen.
Old 6/5/13, 09:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Use to after sitting for awhile I would start it up and on the drivers side the water would evaporate and smoke from the coils. After that ran fine, now when I start up no smoke and pulled the coils and there is no moisture to be seen.
Just out of curiosity what is your coolant level at maybe a head gasket leak?
Old 6/5/13, 09:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Just out of curiosity what is your coolant level at maybe a head gasket leak?
I'll check, should be full, but I'll let you know.
Old 6/8/13, 10:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Checked my coolant and it's freaking to the top of the reservoir cold! It shouldn't be that high. I let my cousin drive the car to prom and he said the coolant was low I didn't realize he filled it to top. Plus look at this pic, kinda has a green tint to it on the coils. Put my stock ones back in in till I can suck some coolant out of the reservoir. Think I am right or wrong?
Attached Thumbnails Change plugs and coils, but issue?-image-264824707.jpg  

Last edited by Corstang427; 6/8/13 at 10:37 PM.
Old 6/10/13, 11:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Checked my coolant and it's freaking to the top of the reservoir cold! It shouldn't be that high. I let my cousin drive the car to prom and he said the coolant was low I didn't realize he filled it to top. Plus look at this pic, kinda has a green tint to it on the coils. Put my stock ones back in in till I can suck some coolant out of the reservoir. Think I am right or wrong?
If you can do a compression test that will tell you exactly whats going on but I'm pretty sure your head gasket is blown or your head is cracked either way to get it repaired right is expensive maybe look into remanned heads online
Old 6/10/13, 12:01 PM
Bullitt Member

I would drain the oil as well and see if you have coolant contamination in there that will yell you for sure
Old 6/10/13, 12:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Me and my buddy looked at it last night. He builds motors for a living. Showed me that in each spark plug well has a sleeve.. He thinks I lifted all those. Don't think it's head gasket bc no oil. Checked oil it is fine.

Last edited by Corstang427; 6/12/13 at 07:27 AM.
Old 6/10/13, 03:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Me and my buddy look at it last night. He builds motors for a living. Showed me that in each spark plug well has an oring at the top. He thinks I lifted all those. Don't think it's head gasket bc no oil. Checked oil it is fine.
O ring???? Injector yes spark plug no sorry. If that were the case you would be misfiring plus why would you see coolant coolant is in the head and the block not where the spark plugs are
Old 6/10/13, 04:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

O ring???? Injector yes spark plug no sorry. If that were the case you would be misfiring plus why would you see coolant coolant is in the head and the block not where the spark plugs are
Doing a compression test onight. Should reveal the problem.

Last edited by Corstang427; 6/10/13 at 05:20 PM.
Old 6/10/13, 05:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Let me know what you find just curious
Old 6/11/13, 03:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Blew a head gasket, so I'm installing a new one and putting in ARP head studs. Hope this will prevent another one.

Quick Reply: Change plugs and coils, but issue?