GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Centrifugal .vs. Twin Screw

Search this Thread

Old 5/25/06, 11:58 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Centrifugal .vs. Twin Screw

Ok all, I have made up my mind between nitrous and a s/c and I am going with the s/c.

Now I am having problems making my mind up on which supercharger. Here are my 2 choices. Saleen or the Vortech H.O kit.

I need to know guys and gals what are the pros/cons on these set ups?

Opinions please?
Old 5/26/06, 12:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

I personally think the twin screws are better.... and the saleen is an excellent unit.... but I like it LOUD, and the vortech with the V1 straight cut blades..... its ****ING loud......

but the saleen is the better blower for street use. more power at less boost will mean less stress on the motor.
Old 5/26/06, 12:12 AM
Cobra Member

Good point.
Old 5/26/06, 06:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

twin screw makes power low and then evenly across the rest of the RPM band, the centri's make their peak power at high rpms.

Old 5/26/06, 06:21 AM
Bullitt Member

I'd like to go with the Saleen, just need to save some $.
Old 5/26/06, 08:12 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by emperorjordan
I personally think the twin screws are better.... and the saleen is an excellent unit.... but I like it LOUD, and the vortech with the V1 straight cut blades..... its ****ING loud......

but the saleen is the better blower for street use. more power at less boost will mean less stress on the motor.
Well, yes and no. Less boost yes but I would not go as far as to say less stress on the motor. The twin screw blowers actually produce higher intake pressures than the centri due to their positive displacement at a lower RPM.. So in all actuality they put more stress on the motor than centri and they are constantly putting "additional pressure" into the intake whereas a centri does not.
Old 5/26/06, 08:26 AM
GT Member

Last year MM&FF magazine did a test of a number of s/cs and a turbo all on the same engine and restricted it to the same boost level. It shows how each type of forced induction produced boost over the rpm range as well as hp level. There are advantages to each, the best choice for a street car may not be the best choice for a traction limited drag car.

This month's MM&FF magazine has about 4 articles on s/cs on the S197 Mustang. A Procharger vs KenneBell shootout, a Whipple install and a Magneson (sp) article. There are other s/c articles as well. You may find this helpful.

Tony D
Old 5/26/06, 08:35 AM
Cobra Member

I have to make the right choice on this. JDM claims that you get power throught the RPM band with the Saleen as in instant power and vortech will give the power in the higher rpm band. With that being said, going too high will in theory blow the motor right? I mean if your getting instant power, I won't have to look for it down the line and potentially blowing the motor in the higher rpm bands looking for the power.

Old 5/26/06, 10:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thats the way it looks to me.... the saleen (or any twin screw) give more power down low, and at a lesser boost level.... so to me, the lower i have to rev it to get what i want, the longer the motor will last.

but I also know that if i did get a blower.... I wont be happy with what I get, and will most likely swap pulleys and eventually blow it up. but thats just me.
Old 5/26/06, 11:13 AM
Cobra R Member

the screw types are close to double the cost of the centrifugal......but I like the HP increase with the lower boost psi.
Old 5/26/06, 11:59 AM
Cobra Member

there are trade offs to each.. But, you can also look at it this way. With a centri like mine I am building boost quickly by 2300rpm, so there wasn't much lag at the bottom end IMO.. BUT, once you swap the gears and go to a 3:73 on a centri, then look out!.. IMO, you have the best of both worlds...this you would be hard pressed to do on a twin screw because of the down low powerband of those units and with a set of gears and a centri you get the instant pull with the gears down low and then the rush of the boost....very cool!
Old 5/26/06, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a big fan of bottom end torque, which is what you need to get a heavy car moving, so it was a no-brainer for me... twin screw all the way.
Old 5/26/06, 12:14 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally Posted by subzero05
Well, yes and no. Less boost yes but I would not go as far as to say less stress on the motor. The twin screw blowers actually produce higher intake pressures than the centri due to their positive displacement at a lower RPM.. So in all actuality they put more stress on the motor than centri and they are constantly putting "additional pressure" into the intake whereas a centri does not.
I can verify the temps of the Vortech V2.. I have an Air-Temp-Gauge in my car.. I have never seen 200F worth of boost created.. In this pic, you can see my air temp gauge..

[img=http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/1581/mspvortech211617aj.th.jpg]

Now I am not sure how hot the Twin-Screws get, but I know that the Centri and the V2 in particular are able to keep boost temps down..

Lower temps means greater consistency..
Old 5/26/06, 02:07 PM
GT Member

Usually, twin screws are very efficient...meaning they put less heat into the incoming charge for a given level of boost than other s/cs. This will allow more aggressive tuning, ie more advance, etc, and this will translate to more power at a given boost level.

I do not think that there is one right answer for all when it comes to superchargers, some are a better fit for some situations than others. Can any Mustang with any brand of s/c not be fun?

Tony D
Old 5/26/06, 02:16 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
gimme torque!!!

I'd take a positive displacement. Magnacharger is *supposed* to be releasing their kit this spring(?) for about 3500 non intercooled according to a article read- I want one BAD.
high rpm+boost sounds deadly to me- but then again higher cylinder pressures at low rpm with positive types is still extra stress- just in my little mind, boost off idle is everyday kick in the pants fun with lower risk to irreversible damage...I kinda think for flat out racing the lighter centrifugals with their kinda exponential boost/rpm likely would win, for less money too...but *if* magnuson comes out at 3500, its competitive, and I really think it would be more fun on the street- even if a new hood might be required
Old 5/26/06, 11:02 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

Every motor head I've talked to recommended twin screw.
Old 5/27/06, 07:37 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Torrence
Ok all, I have made up my mind between nitrous and a s/c and I am going with the s/c.

Now I am having problems making my mind up on which supercharger. Here are my 2 choices. Saleen or the Vortech H.O kit.

I need to know guys and gals what are the pros/cons on these set ups?

Opinions please?
check out Lido's articles at alternativeauto.com
Old 5/27/06, 11:22 AM
Cobra Member

I love my Saleen and wouldn't trade it for the world....It makes the 4.6 feel like a big block...
Old 5/27/06, 11:27 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
On superchargers i'd say twin screw. gotta love the torque curve they make!
Old 6/2/06, 12:04 PM
Cobra Member

Could you intercool a Saleen unit? What would that do?

Quick Reply: Centrifugal .vs. Twin Screw