GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Centri Superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 11/9/07, 08:33 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Centri Superchargers

I've been leaning towards some sort of centrifugal supercharger lately and was looking at paxton and vortech. what is the difference between the two?

i will mainly be using this car on the street as it is a daily driver, but would also like it to perform well on the drag strip/street racing

what is the difference between air/air and air/water intercooling?
Old 11/9/07, 08:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Assuming you're talking only about the intercooled kits......

The Paxton 2200 series is a larger blower than the Vortech V2 series. Meaning, you can spin the Paxton less to make the same amount of boost plus it has more overall boost potential. However, the Vortech can make plenty of power, way more than the factory shortblock can take if you want. I have the Vortech head unit, with a 3.33" pulley and it makes about 11psi; with the factory wheels it puts down 469 rwhp. There are many different pulley options available; you can make much less or much more power than my numbers.

As far as intercoolers, in my opinion the water based is better for racing at the strip because you can load it with ice & water after each run. The air based is better for the street because it has additional cooling capacity assuming that the vehicle is moving.

I have the Vortech blower, but their kits come with the water based cooler so I bought a Paxton air cooler instead. So, Vortech blower and Paxton cooler. If I was to do it again, I'd probably buy the Paxton blower but like I said this Vortech unit can do TONS of power, way more than I need (or can afford LOL).

Good luck.
Old 11/9/07, 08:44 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RFLgtcs
I've been leaning towards some sort of centrifugal supercharger lately and was looking at paxton and vortech. what is the difference between the two?

i will mainly be using this car on the street as it is a daily driver, but would also like it to perform well on the drag strip/street racing

what is the difference between air/air and air/water intercooling?
Pretty much the same system but paxton uses a/a intercooler and vortech use a/w aftercooler. If you will have a shop installing it you will get charged more for the paxton intsall because they have to take off the front bumper to install the intercooler. I got quoted 1,400 for a paxton install and 900 for the vortech, that blew me away. The a/a intercooler on the paxton is better than the aftercooler on the vortech though... imo.

Here goes ur answer on the diff between a/a and a/w intercoolers
http://superchargersonline.com/intercoolers.asp
Old 11/9/07, 08:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey Adam, still studying I see........ when you gonna pull the trigger???

Old 11/9/07, 08:46 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Assuming you're talking only about the intercooled kits......

The Paxton 2200 series is a larger blower than the Vortech V2 series. Meaning, you can spin the Paxton less to make the same amount of boost plus it has more overall boost potential. However, the Vortech can make plenty of power, way more than the factory shortblock can take if you want. I have the Vortech head unit, with a 3.33" pulley and it makes about 11psi; with the factory wheels it puts down 469 rwhp. There are many different pulley options available; you can make much less or much more power than my numbers.

As far as intercoolers, in my opinion the water based is better for racing at the strip because you can load it with ice & water after each run. The air based is better for the street because it has additional cooling capacity assuming that the vehicle is moving.

I have the Vortech blower, but their kits come with the water based cooler so I bought a Paxton air cooler instead. So, Vortech blower and Paxton cooler. If I was to do it again, I'd probably buy the Paxton blower but like I said this Vortech unit can do TONS of power, way more than I need (or can afford LOL).

Good luck.
Hey why did yours post first...j/k
Old 11/9/07, 08:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 2005sonicBOOST
Hey why did yours post first...j/k
Well because I'm faster than you, duh.....
Old 11/9/07, 08:50 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Hey Adam, still studying I see........ when you gonna pull the trigger???

seriously, it's on my mind every day Tom... My time is comming, I want it sooooooooooo bad!!!
Old 11/9/07, 08:51 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Well because I'm faster than you, duh.....
Whatever

Old 11/10/07, 04:38 AM
V6 Member

Paxton also has the new SL series which doesnt require you to tap the oil pan. Its self lubricated and produces the same #'s as the reg 2200 series. Less install time also.
Old 11/10/07, 06:24 AM
GT Member

right now i'm leaning towards the paxton because i want an air/air cooler, but when does the boost usually kick in? are they the same for most centris?
Old 11/10/07, 11:43 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

right now i'm leaning towards the paxton because i want an air/air cooler, but when does the boost usually kick in? are they the same for most centris?
This should answer your question
http://www.brenspeed.com/tech/theguide.html
Old 11/10/07, 12:23 PM
Bullitt Member

why not turbo?
Old 11/10/07, 04:57 PM
GT Member

thanks sonic, that cleared up a lot of things

turbo055gt - not a huge fan of turbos, i gotta have that killer supercharger whine

what about a procharger? what exactly is different about those?
Old 11/11/07, 12:17 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the Vortech also and am very pleased with it. I am making almost identiacal numbers to Tom281, but am throwing a built stroker at mine this winter with more boost.

Either choice is fine for the street. I believe Vortech's kit now uses an upgraded head unit, which is more efficient than the older S trim.
Old 11/11/07, 12:33 PM
Bullitt Member

turbo055gt - not a huge fan of turbos, i gotta have that killer supercharger whine

If its all about the "noise" look no further than the Pro Charger
Old 11/11/07, 12:36 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by killbee
Paxton also has the new SL series which doesnt require you to tap the oil pan. Its self lubricated and produces the same #'s as the reg 2200 series. Less install time also.
I have done a little search for this new sl series paxton. Where can I find some good info on this kit for the mustang
Old 11/11/07, 12:38 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

theres not too much whine with a vortech or paxton, you might want to look into the whipple for that.
Old 11/11/07, 12:42 PM
Cobra Member

I would love having the whine, but I want a centri and they do not whine nearly as much as roots.
Old 11/11/07, 12:52 PM

Prochargers whistle more than they whine. I could sell you one too by the way.
Old 11/11/07, 02:28 PM
GT Member

i don't really want a constant whine, i'd rather have one during hard acceleration

I have done a little search for this new sl series paxton. Where can I find some good info on this kit for the mustang
yeah i've been really interested in this paxton sl series as well, does anyone have any more info?

Prochargers whistle more than they whine. I could sell you one too by the way.
how much were you looking to sell it for and how many miles does it have on it?
what psi and is it easy to change the psi?

would i need to get a new clutch also if i was shootin for around 400-450 rwhp? what about a new driveshaft?

Quick Reply: Centri Superchargers