GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Carbon Trap Removal

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/05, 11:55 AM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by DozerzPony+March 8, 2005, 12:47 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DozerzPony @ March 8, 2005, 12:47 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Fordracing200@March 3, 2005, 6:16 PM
What is the H trap? do u mean H pipe?
Welcome back to Earth. You are obviously not a noob, were you on vacation? Did you even read a single post within the last five years?
[/b][/quote]

Old 3/8/05, 12:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Who is this guy clowing innocent threaders? Where are the moderators?
Old 3/28/05, 08:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Here is my info on this:

My car has about 1200 miles on it. Mostly city road drving with some highway.

I have replaced the stock air filter with a K&N drop in filter and saw no real difference in performance or change in MPG. AVG about 20.5 MPG. No Tune

I took out the trap and instantly had a change in the performance. Better acceleration. But MPG went into the toilet. AVG about 16.3. No Tune

The next full tank of gas, the computer seems to be slowly adjusting for the increased airflow. AVG about 19.5. No Tune

Old 5/11/05, 02:19 PM
FR500 Member

soo maybe i really should try to take out the trap....my gas milage is still crappy.....11.9
Old 5/11/05, 10:51 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

I pulled the HC trap for a three week experiment and my gas mileage tanked. Put it back in and I thought I noticed a bit better performance and my gas mileage went back up.
Since then I have added the SLPs and removed the HC trap again and recalibrated the computer as detailed in the manual. Seems like I am getting much better performance from the car. No dyno to prove this though.

Im adding the K&N filter tomorrow and I will run the recalibration routine for the computer afterwards - see what happens.
Old 5/12/05, 11:32 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

Decided to add the trap back in after putting on the K&N airfilter.

Made for better performance - in my seat of the pants test...

Now... how do I convince the wife I should get the C&L intake .. :jedi:
Old 5/12/05, 11:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by acadian@March 2, 2005, 5:16 PM
I've heard 2 somewhere else too. But I also have heard as many as 8 and that was proven with a dyno as well. It really depends on the car, temperature, situation, machine, etc. Removing the HC trap will average around 5 HP. That's a good average.
Is that with NO flash?
Old 5/13/05, 12:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by AJC@May 11, 2005, 10:54 PM
I pulled the HC trap for a three week experiment and my gas mileage tanked. Put it back in and I thought I noticed a bit better performance and my gas mileage went back up.
Since then I have added the SLPs and removed the HC trap again and recalibrated the computer as detailed in the manual. Seems like I am getting much better performance from the car. No dyno to prove this though.

Im adding the K&N filter tomorrow and I will run the recalibration routine for the computer afterwards - see what happens.
How about milage?
Old 5/14/05, 12:47 AM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

Mileage seems to be okay with K&N - BUT I felt I was losing some of the low end pull without the hc trap IN and I decided to add the HC trap back in now that I have the K&N airfilter.
I have decided to wait for the C&L intake and predator tuner before doing any more changes.
Old 9/22/05, 03:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm resurrecting this thread because I tried to take the trap out, and IT'S NOT THERE!

Is this common knowledge? I haven't seen anythigng about this in a while. Did they change something for 06? I'm quite confused at this point.
Old 9/22/05, 03:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

You are correct. they quit using them around March or April.
Michael
Old 9/22/05, 03:48 PM
GT Member

some of the ford engineers are just dumb... LOL, carbon trap, lol! What the gay?
Old 9/22/05, 06:52 PM
V6 Member

Unhappy

My car was delivered in March and it had it but within a week of having it, the darn thing just fell off the car.....haven't seen it since R.I.P.
Old 3/5/06, 06:11 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wild stray @ March 2, 2005, 10:32 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I think I may be on to something with that last statement. One without the other may be the key. The H-trap by itself isn't enough to trip over the line, but combined with a freer flowing filter, it is [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
This is my opinion also.
[/b][/quote]
Both Sixty-Six and Yourself, are correct.. and here's why, I spoke to Marty, who's a Ford Racing Tech Rep. and asked him that very same question.. Anyway after he said that it would take about a week to do some checking and research, here's what I found out.. According to a Ford engineer, that he spoke with..In his opinion, if you remove both the HC trap, and then add a free flowing filter, the stock calibration will no longer be within the allowable 5%+or - adjustment range..In other words, any increase in airflow, that is beyond the stock program's 5% compensation range, will as a result, cause the air/fuel ratio to read as an unsafe lean condition... Therefore, he strongly advises if you're going to remove the HC trap, be sure NOT to replace the stock paper filter, with a K&N or any other free flowing filter, otherwise you're computer will require a re-flash.. In addition, now I finally understand as to why both K&N and Airaid require the HC traps, in their cold air kits... As for the 05's that don't include the HC trap.. The same technician also confirmed, there were NO calibration changes to the stock programming, after Ford discontinued installing the HC traps, in mid 05..However, in this case..if you plan on doing any filter or intake mod's, you will be required to re-flash you're computer, unless you decide to install a trap.. Seems there is no other way, of getting around this... Anyway, hope you'll find some of this as being useful, and hopefully are able to make some sense, out of it... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 3/5/06, 07:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(red05Mustang_GT @ March 5, 2006, 5:14 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Both Sixty-Six and Yourself, are correct.. and here's why, I spoke to Marty, who's a Ford Racing Tech Rep. and asked him that very same question.. Anyway after he said that it would take about a week to do some checking and research, here's what I found out.. According to a Ford engineer, that he spoke with..In his opinion, if you remove both the HC trap, and then add a free flowing filter, the stock calibration will no longer be within the allowable 5%+or - adjustment range..In other words, any increase in airflow, that is beyond the stock program's 5% compensation range, will as a result, cause the air/fuel ratio to read as an unsafe lean condition... Therefore, he strongly advises if you're going to remove the HC trap, be sure NOT to replace the stock paper filter, with a K&N or any other free flowing filter, otherwise you're computer will require a re-flash.. In addition, now I finally understand as to why both K&N and Airaid require the HC traps, in their cold air kits... As for the 05's that don't include the HC trap.. The same technician also confirmed, there were NO calibration changes to the stock programming, after Ford discontinued installing the HC traps, in mid 05..However, in this case..if you plan on doing any filter or intake mod's, you will be required to re-flash you're computer, unless you decide to install a trap.. Seems there is no other way, of getting around this... Anyway, hope you'll find some of this as being useful, and hopefully are able to make some sense, out of it... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

dunno. I removed my hc trap, no problems. added K&N CAI a few weeks later. no problems, no CEL. dropped .2 seconds from my 1/4.

Must disconnect & reconnect battery, let car idle to operating temp and continue for a few minutes, turn a/c on full for a few minutes, turn off a/c and idle a couple more minutes, go for 10 mile drive. this resets the computer's fuel strategy.
Old 3/5/06, 09:14 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nonsensez9 @ March 5, 2006, 9:16 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
dunno. I removed my hc trap, no problems. added K&N CAI a few weeks later. no problems, no CEL. dropped .2 seconds from my 1/4.

Must disconnect & reconnect battery, let car idle to operating temp and continue for a few minutes, turn a/c on full for a few minutes, turn off a/c and idle a couple more minutes, go for 10 mile drive. this resets the computer's fuel strategy.
[/b][/quote]
I dunno either, I'm just going by Ford's opinion and recommendation...Other than that, the only other reason that I can possible think of is, the 05 Mustang has 10 different computers, in which each one has a different code..In other words, out of those 10, each 05 Mustang has a different computer code, meaning that its possible Ford may have programmed each computer's callibration, in a slightly different manner, just for the sake that no. 2 vehicles are callibrated or programmed, in the same way.. So perhaps, you're car may respond to callibration changes differently, compared to someone else's ? And again, this is just an educated guess, so I could be completly wrong here.. Anyway, you also bring up a very good point and I should have asked Ford about re-setting the computer, so you may want to ask both SixtySix and WildStray, if they tried re-setting the computer, by disconnecting and then re-connecting the battery and if so...did it make a difference ??? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 10/30/06, 03:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but it came up in a search:

That looks just like corrugated cardboard rolled into the air tube. Why did Ford even bother to do this in the first place when they apparently no longer do it on 06s and newer GTs?
Old 10/30/06, 04:01 AM
Cobra Member

The removal of the carbon trap was my first "mod", the day I got home with the car. It's still a mystery to me why it was on (some of) the '05 models and then disappeared.
Old 10/30/06, 06:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Are they still used on 2007s?
Old 10/30/06, 03:35 PM
FR500 Member

No, they are not. They were there to act like a catalytic converter of sorts, keeping unburned fuel/fumes from escaping when the car was turned off.

They must have concluded that it did nothing, hence their disappearance.

Quick Reply: Carbon Trap Removal