GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Car died in the middle of a shift....

Search this Thread

Old 6/14/08, 04:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car died in the middle of a shift....

Got off work this morning, drove about 3 miles, stopped at a stop light for about 2 min (long light). Car was going good, idle smooth, light turned green and no traffic so I let 1st ease up to 4000 shifted to 2nd brought it to about 4000-4500, shifted to 3rd and again 4-4500 rpms everything feels good, pushed cluch in shifted to 4th and before I let the clutch out the car just felt funny so I looked at the dash and the wrench light was lit, the rmp's fell to 0, and the check engine light came on. I never pulled over, I just turned the key off then back on and started it while I was rolling. Car fired like it always does, so I let the clutch out to get 4th and drove it home with no more problems. After I restarted it the wrench light and check engine lights were off. I checked it for codes with the X3 and had none. Car ran great coming to work today too. I was granny shifting and just easing through the rpm's so I was not racing, just wanting to hear the new LT's.

Anybody else have this happen?
Old 6/14/08, 05:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
No, and that's weird to see the wrench light come on, but then not throw any codes. I don't think I've heard of that, usually there will be a corresponding code. Maybe it was a fluke; hopefully it doesn't come back.
Old 6/14/08, 07:57 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Which light is it that normally comes on when the car stalls. Sounds like maybe it's time to clean the throttle body and MAF sensor. They seem to be real sensitive when running AM CAI's. I've had it happen before.
Old 6/14/08, 08:25 PM
Bullitt Member

It was weird Tom, car running like a champ, dies, then starts and runs like nothing happened.

05GT, My T-body is clean, cleaned it during the header install, but I do have some MAF cleaner at home so I will do that. It is just that it idles and runs smooth and with out issues, maybe it was just a hiccup in the system....
Old 6/15/08, 01:10 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check for ANY air leaks between the MAF and the TB. My car had a problem for about two months with random stalls. I cleaned the MAF, cleaned the TB, etc. Nothing worked. Finally, almost by accident, I found that the PCV fitting on the bottom of my JLT inlet tube was slightly loose, about 3/16 of a turn from being fully tight.

The quick fix was to tighten the fitting ALMOST tight enough. That left the fitting pointing about 45 degrees from the angle it needed to go and I couldn't tighten it any more without causing other problems. After tightening it, the car stalled once more on me in two weeks.

I then pulled the inlet tube off and cleaned everything up and reinstalled the fitting with some RTV on it to seal it up pointing the correct direction. Since then (almost two months ago), it hasn't stalled once single time.

I have NO IDEA why these cars are so freaking picky about air leaks, but they are. Ever single time mine would stall, it acted exactly like yours. It just flat died. No chocking, no hesitation, it just died like I turned the key off. AND it always started up like nothing happened AND there was never any codes at all.

Check for leaks. For very SMALL leaks!
Old 6/15/08, 05:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RRRoamer
Check for ANY air leaks between the MAF and the TB. My car had a problem for about two months with random stalls. I cleaned the MAF, cleaned the TB, etc. Nothing worked. Finally, almost by accident, I found that the PCV fitting on the bottom of my JLT inlet tube was slightly loose, about 3/16 of a turn from being fully tight.

The quick fix was to tighten the fitting ALMOST tight enough. That left the fitting pointing about 45 degrees from the angle it needed to go and I couldn't tighten it any more without causing other problems. After tightening it, the car stalled once more on me in two weeks.

I then pulled the inlet tube off and cleaned everything up and reinstalled the fitting with some RTV on it to seal it up pointing the correct direction. Since then (almost two months ago), it hasn't stalled once single time.

I have NO IDEA why these cars are so freaking picky about air leaks, but they are. Ever single time mine would stall, it acted exactly like yours. It just flat died. No chocking, no hesitation, it just died like I turned the key off. AND it always started up like nothing happened AND there was never any codes at all.

Check for leaks. For very SMALL leaks!

Thanks Roamer! I'm going to clean the MAF this week after I get done with graveyards, and if it does it again it will do the disassemble and reassemble too.
Old 6/16/08, 06:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Have you done anything to the electrical system lately , like add an aftermarket alarm ? A couple of weeks after I had my S/C installed , when I got on it the car would get thrown into the forced shut down mode , which is probably what you were in. It would get the wrench light , but no trouble code and Steeda could not figure out what it was. They felt it was something in the electrical system , since slight changes can make the computer do strange things on these cars. Sometime later while my car was at the tire shop , they called me and said every time they pushed the clutch in the starter would engage. The key didn't even have to be in the ignition , let alone be in the start position. I realized that something was making the computer think the key was in the start position regardless of where it was and my alarm system came to mind. When I took it to the dealer ship , they found that it was indeed the alarm system and I had them remove it. I then checked my receipt and found that I had put the alarm on a few days before I started experiencing the problem with the S/C causing the wrench light. That was about 3 months ago and the problem has not occurred again. The computer in these cars is very sensitive to any change in the electrical system and can do very strange things , another member put it best when he said "they act possessed" ...