GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

can someone explain Mil eliminators??

Search this Thread

Old 4/27/11, 10:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can someone explain Mil eliminators??

Can someone explain how these work and where they go. Like the from two or back to sensors?? Going to have to pass emotions since I'm getting off road x pipe and long tubes
Old 4/27/11, 10:56 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) eliminators only trick the computer to thinking the exhaust is functioning properly per the reading on that sensor. Emissions tests will result otherwise, and they'll be able to smell the difference.
Old 4/27/11, 11:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by partsbill
MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) eliminators only trick the computer to thinking the exhaust is functioning properly per the reading on that sensor. Emissions tests will result otherwise, and they'll be able to smell the difference.
If I have a tuner and turn them off, Then that would also trigger off the emission test huh??
Old 4/27/11, 11:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Correct, provided that your engine is producing out of range results for emissions-related compounds (NOX, Carbon Monoxide, etc).

JR
Old 4/27/11, 11:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by godspunk32
Correct, provided that your engine is producing out of range results for emissions-related compounds (NOX, Carbon Monoxide, etc).

JR
So there is no way around passing??
Old 4/27/11, 11:48 AM
Cobra Member

Putting the cats back & uploading an emissions legal tune shortly before testing is the only way I can think of to actually pass the state test.
Old 4/27/11, 11:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by zcgstang
So there is no way around passing??
I depends. I mean, I have known people that have gone through emissions testing with gutted cats, and they've gotten away with it. Someone people I know have gutted their cats and gotten nailed for emissions. It really depends on how well your car is running and how tough the emissions test is.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. At some point in time, I'm going to remove my cats and put in a catless X pipe, but I'll retain the catted pipe for emissions testing, and swap every three years when I have to go.

JR
Old 4/27/11, 11:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 69Mach1-409
Putting the cats back & uploading an emissions legal tune shortly before testing is the only way I can think of to actually pass the state test.
I failed my first test after getting my Brenspeed tune because of them turning off the rear cats. I honestly didn't even think of it. All I had to do was swap my stock intake back on, and retune, then drive 100 miles to get the computer set. Emissions passed, then out to door and back on with the CAI/tune.

NJ doesn't even do a tailpipe test on newer cars, anymore. They just plug into your OBD-II port and see what's going on. Of course, if the sensors are turned off, they'll see that as a malfunction and fail you.

JR
Old 4/27/11, 11:58 AM
Cobra Member

I failed my first test after getting my Brenspeed tune because of them turning off the rear cats. I honestly didn't even think of it. All I had to do was swap my stock intake back on, and retune, then drive 100 miles to get the computer set. Emissions passed, then out to door and back on with the CAI/tune.

NJ doesn't even do a tailpipe test on newer cars, anymore. They just plug into your OBD-II port and see what's going on. Of course, if the sensors are turned off, they'll see that as a malfunction and fail you.

JR
Yup, I kept mine as well and will need to put it on in another 1 1/2yrs to get her to pass. Though I'm going to have to get Chris to adjust my tune for the Whipple, because I know it has the rears turned off like yours.
Old 4/27/11, 12:48 PM
Bullitt Member

JR
That is what we do in Texas! What I don't understang is if I put the mil Eliminators in Then why would it read something out of the ordinary if they are ment to tell the computer nothing's wrong??
Old 4/27/11, 01:05 PM
Cobra Member

I was told / have read that they won't work on the 05+ Stangs, but I haven't tried them myself.

Do they do a visual inspection down there? I know they have mirrors up here to make sure you have the cats.
Old 4/27/11, 01:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 69Mach1-409
I was told / have read that they won't work on the 05+ Stangs, but I haven't tried them myself.

Do they do a visual inspection down there? I know they have mirrors up here to make sure you have the cats.
Nah...a buddy had his 03 cobra passed by turning his o2 sensors off. Everyrhong about his car was illegal lol
Old 4/27/11, 03:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

So it looks like several folks are hitting on parts of the issue. I responded in another thread. but may as well here too. I've been running LT for 4+ years in Texas. Gotta pass emission test every year. Yes, test is done via OBD port, not tailpipe sniffer (thankfully!). I installed MILs from the beginning so they would help with the O2 monitoring while driving. That part hasn't been an issue. However, I consistently have a CEL light for O2 sensors "rear O2 slow to respond" or something like that. It's been a while since I cleared those codes. P043 or something like that. Apparently it is due to them not warming up quick enough, since they are further from engine with headers. I think this is something that can be fixed in the tune. I just got back in contact with my original tuner, Chris at American Muscle. He is gonna hook me up with a new tune with all the latest tricks for passing OBD emission testing while having a modified 05 GT. We will see!
Old 4/27/11, 03:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Lowe!
So it looks like several folks are hitting on parts of the issue. I responded in another thread. but may as well here too. I've been running LT for 4+ years in Texas. Gotta pass emission test every year. Yes, test is done via OBD port, not tailpipe sniffer (thankfully!). I installed MILs from the beginning so they would help with the O2 monitoring while driving. That part hasn't been an issue. However, I consistently have a CEL light for O2 sensors "rear O2 slow to respond" or something like that. It's been a while since I cleared those codes. P043 or something like that. Apparently it is due to them not warming up quick enough, since they are further from engine with headers. I think this is something that can be fixed in the tune. I just got back in contact with my original tuner, Chris at American Muscle. He is gonna hook me up with a new tune with all the latest tricks for passing OBD emission testing while having a modified 05 GT. We will see!
What part of Texas?? Lemme know How the tune goes cause I might have to invest in it
Old 4/28/11, 07:41 AM
GT Member

For those of you that have the sniffer test, I left my CAI and 91octane tune in place for my emissions test, which has to be done every year. I do have a catted x pipe, though I have a burned wire for the driver's rear 02 sensor and the engine light came on during the test.......BUT, because the car passed the EMISSION part of the test, I passed.....
Point is, if you go the sniffer route, you may not have to swap a bunch of stuff out if yer not spewing anything too noxious......
Old 4/28/11, 10:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ghost
For those of you that have the sniffer test, I left my CAI and 91octane tune in place for my emissions test, which has to be done every year. I do have a catted x pipe, though I have a burned wire for the driver's rear 02 sensor and the engine light came on during the test.......BUT, because the car passed the EMISSION part of the test, I passed.....
Point is, if you go the sniffer route, you may not have to swap a bunch of stuff out if yer not spewing anything too noxious......
Now I need an opinion from all of y'all! OK I'm running n/a and don't plan on doing cams since ill be in college soon so money will be tight. Since I plan on staying n/a, would I make more power by running a long tube set up and off road x pipe or would it be a better investment to just get an off road x pipe and under drive pullies? I really need opinion ions here since this purchase will take place SOON!!!
Old 4/29/11, 09:25 PM
V6 Member

Glad Michigan doesn't test anymore!
Old 4/29/11, 09:45 PM
GT Member

If you live in the Atlanta, GA area I know a guy that knows a guy who went to school with a guy who's mom knows this guys uncle.....well let's just say I know a guy who can help "pass" you with flying colors, even if you come in with no mufflers at all :-)
Old 5/1/11, 04:25 PM
Bullitt Member

First of all, forget the MIL eliminators. They wont work on S197's. Ive tried, I can vouch personally.

In the state of Texas for vehicles 2001 and newer they will actually allow you to pass if only have 1 sensor that is in "not ready" state. I did actually pass my last inspection with the catalyst monitor in "not ready."

I had a tune that had the catalysts off so I flashed back before I got inspected. I apparently had not driven enough because I failed with catalyst and evap not ready. I drove around some more and went back the next day and passed since evap had cleared.

I'm going to leave it in the next time I go in. If the tune only eliminates catalyst, and evap and O2 are still good I should pass.