GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Can custom tunes wear my engine down more?

Search this Thread

Old 2/7/12, 04:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tu3218
That's a lot of good information. Thanks for that. Just a question concerning "weather conditions". I receive my tunes from bama through american muscle. I don't remember exactly if I had to put in my area code or where I live, but is that something they code into the file when creating my tunes? I ask because when I flash my tunes on my car, at some point there is an option to edit additional settings. I have never clicked that and wondering if that would be found there, to alter weather. I wouldn't think that sort of information would be there but just wondering.
When you place your order, we see where you live. When you use your order number, which is required on our tune form, with the Bama team, that's all we need!

We created tunes based off of your PCM code and modifications, and optimized them so that you don't have to! Skip adjusting options, unless for any reason you wanted to make small changes that don't affect performance. I would never suggest you make changes to fueling, timing, rev limiters, etc. However, if you wanted a lower/higher idle RPM, or if you use it to recalibrate your speedometer for different tires, that's fine. Either way, you can just give Bama a call and we'll hard-code it into your tunes so you don't have to adjust it yourself!

Hope this helps!
Old 2/7/12, 04:31 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose

Knock retard does not have to be touched to make more power. As a matter of fact, it's a good practice to keep the ability for the PCM to retard timing, for safety. Air/fuel ratio is changed, but still kept conservative. We don't run 13 air/fuel ratio on anything we send out, for example. That's not too lean for some, but for us - it is. I'm not going to get into the hardcore details, but we optimize variable cam timing, WOT air/fuel ratio, timing advance depending on your octane and elevation/area of the country, etc. None of these are changed enough to where a customer would have a negative impact on longevity, let alone running them "to the edge".

So I guess I should re-iterate... "leaner" than stock. Yes. "Lean", no. The proper wording would be "not as rich as a stock tune", because the stock tune is past the point of conservative. It is detuned, for the reasons TJ and I mentioned above.
Then your tunes are more conservative than the ones I ran.
Old 2/7/12, 04:52 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
This thread is retarded. A good safe tune can yield good hp gains and still be safe on the engine. A big part of the factory tuning has to do with passing the emissions testing and being compliant with regulations. If you run the hell out of your car it's will not last as long. If you tune too aggressively, it may cause failures if driving daily with an aggressive tune.
Safe tune for every day driving. Race tunes are designed for racing applications and not extended idling and sitting iniintraffic.
Old 2/7/12, 05:00 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
This thread is retarded.
I like this guy. I agree!

If you run the hell out of your car it's will not last as long.
All that I would add to this sentence is 'regardless of what tune'! You're completely right. You beat the car up, stock or not, you're not going to get the best life out of it.
Old 2/7/12, 05:03 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

This thread is retarded. A good safe tune can yield good hp gains and still be safe on the engine. A big part of the factory tuning has to do with passing the emissions testing and being compliant with regulations. If you run the hell out of your car it's will not last as long. If you tune too aggressively, it may cause failures if driving daily with an aggressive tune.
Safe tune for every day driving. Race tunes are designed for racing applications and not extended idling and sitting iniintraffic.
Glad you came to clear it up for us o mighty and intelegent one
Old 2/7/12, 05:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by texastboneking
Then your tunes are more conservative than the ones I ran.
It's all in how you approach tuning. There are companies that go straight for tons of timing and a lean air/fuel ratio, because it works. At the end of the day, this will hurt the longevity of the car, just like you said!
Old 2/7/12, 05:07 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

It's all in how you approach tuning. There are companies that go straight for tons of timing and a lean air/fuel ratio, because it works. At the end of the day, this will hurt the longevity of the car, just like you said!
I just assumed that's what the tuners were still doing. A few years back when I was messing with the tune on my silverado we were trying different fuel ratios and timing tables. We got a little to aggressive with it. Made good power though
Old 2/7/12, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by texastboneking

Glad you came to clear it up for us o mighty and intelegent one
Just less retarded Bone. Just less retarded. You're still wet behind the ears so we don't blame you. Keep on arguing till they can prove you are wrong. After that, make them prove the proof.
Old 2/7/12, 05:09 PM
Cobra R Member

I totally agree. been running a tune on my contour which has head work and other supporting mods. dyno tuned by a well known ford tuner in my area Mike Freedman back in '02 , so what that is going on 9yrs now and I'm not easy on her either. My motor is totally fine, purrs like a kitten and it's a pretty agressive tune.
Old 2/7/12, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by skunk21

I totally agree. been running a tune on my contour which has head work and other supporting mods. dyno tuned by a well known ford tuner in my area Mike Freedman back in '02 , so what that is going on 9yrs now and I'm not easy on her either. My motor is totally fine, purrs like a kitten and it's a pretty agressive tune.
I also do not agree with data logging mail order tunes. Sorry AM and Steeda. Too many variables. Should be tuned on a dyno for best results. Any little hitch in you vehicle that the tuner has no idea is there may lead to catastrophe. Could be as simple as a fuel filter or spark plug choice. Completely stock new car data log tune should be no problem. Modded car should be tuned on a dyno. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 2/7/12, 05:19 PM
Cobra R Member

I also do not agree with data logging mail order tunes. Sorry AM and Steeda. Too many variables. Should be tuned on a dyno for best results. Any little hitch in you vehicle that the tuner has no idea is there may lead to catastrophe. Could be as simple as a fuel filter or spark plug choice. Completely stock new car data log tune should be no problem. Modded car should be tuned on a dyno. Just my 2 cents worth.
I agree and get beat up alot over this. I believe in a real good tuning shop and having it dyno tuned. This is why I had my 'tour done on a dyno. It was even tricky for him getting the fuel/air and few other things on the car in check.
Old 2/7/12, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by skunk21

I agree and get beat up alot over this. I believe in a real good tuning shop and having it dyno tuned. This is why I had my 'tour done on a dyno. It was even tricky for him getting the fuel/air and few other things on the car in check.
Same with mine. I said a while back about my MAF sensor having to be rotated a few times to get a proper reading. Just little things make a difference.
Old 2/7/12, 06:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

I agree, just wanted to prove it to him from some expert opinions lol. He was questioning for his 10 mustang. I said its a must have no doubt.
Old 2/7/12, 06:23 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
glad I missed a whole lot of nothing
Old 2/7/12, 06:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
glad I missed a whole lot of nothing
It was a little more then nothing to me. Despite it being what probably was obvious to a lot, I'm new to this stuff an thanks to chris from am, an tj from steeda, a lot was clarified for me. I like to understand what's being done internally from these tunes so I can explain to other people. An recommend these companies that offer great tunes an customer service.
Old 2/8/12, 07:11 AM

I could not agree more!